• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

windshield replacement-65 Belvedere

Badvert65

Local time
7:36 PM
Reaction score
Storm damage to my 65 Belvedere. Tree branch clobbered the windshield. Gasket is still good (not the original one) and I have another windshield. Has anyone on the site ever replaced their own windshield? There is a method using rope that I am considering. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or such.
MyCrack.jpg
-Matt

I don't think the rope trick is gonna work as the gasket locks into itself. I you can get the gasket to "unlock" then you should be able to re-use it, otherwise, get a new one.

you don't use rope unlock the seal push the old one out for the new one use dish soap and a plastic windshield bone to work it in the corners can be stubborn but it will go when you get it in just relock the seal

you don't use rope unlock the seal push the old one out for the new one use dish soap and a plastic windshield bone to work it in the corners can be stubborn but it will go when you get it in just relock the seal
OK, per the suggestion, I gave it a try and the windshield is in. Old windshield was easy enough to push out as it was already broken. Soaped the daylights out of everything and with the help of a friend on the inside, squeezed and pushed the replacement in place. It actually went a lot smoother than I anticipated. Hardest part was the cleanup.
Belvedere.jpg
Belvedere-a.jpg

looks good cleaning the dish soap is always the hard part thanks for the pic

Good times...
Hey Mr. B, I grew up in PA not far from you, in Westmoreland Co, just north of Ligonier. Small world.
The tree also broke both of my wiper arms (spring inside broke). I fixed one with parts from my old Dodge Pickup. Should be enough to get through inspection. Now the fun part starts, swapping the /6 for a 400 Big block.

Auto Transport Service
Back