• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

winters Sidewinder shifter kickdown hook up

https://bouchillonperformance.com/resources-kickdown-cable-instructions

TransMounting.jpg

Figure7A.jpg

Figure7B.jpg

Figure8A.jpg

Figure8D.jpg

Looks like someone got half done with installing a cable in place of the linkage.

Is anything attached to the gold kickdown lever on the top of the trans (I call it a ) shift tower?

this is the exploded view, the gold rod is the one with the arrow pointing to it

Inkedlinkage_LI.jpg

What I'm saying is that it looks like you have two:

The factory part, dangling, and an aftermarket part, installed on the tower.

The question, is:

Which one, if any is hooked up at the carb end?

What I'm saying is that it looks like you have two:

The factory part, dangling, and an aftermarket part, installed on the tower.

The question, is:

Which one, if any is hooked up at the carb end?
1168919-0a90ecba0aa0a229deec6e48632b4bc2.jpg

As mentioned above, take off the top gold lever (especially if it's not attached to anything).

...and try the lever in the pic you just posted.

I wonder if the clocking wouldn't work for the person that "installed" it originally, and that's why they left it.

I hope the damage hasn't already been done from driving on and off the transport and any driving the OP did.

Driving without kickdown pressure is the easiest way I know to tear up a torqueflight.

That does look like the Bouchillon cable setup.

the gold " rods" that you see are part on the new shifter, everything was hooked up with old shifter that broke. kick down worked perfect , but this shifter is totally different in how it is hooked up.. mapormarks has a column shift linkage , minus the bracket that bolts to trans, thinking about sending back the sidewinder and going back to column shift

i think part of the problem, the old shifter was a front feed cable, this one is a rear feed cable

Shouldn't matter if you have all of the hardware. Check this out it will show you direction of travel in the new shifter linkage. The only issue I see is that the kickdown cable that you have and the shifter linkage setup use the same hole to mount to. The problem is the shifter cable wants it to be a pivot point. The kickdown wants it to be a fixed bracket. You may have to relocate the fixed kickdown bracket for it to work. They cannot occupy the same hole and still work.

1. A couple options for you. Get the original kickdown linkage stuff and install it.
2. Lokar kickdown cable assembly. It uses a different way of bolting it up.
Figure 2 on this page.

https://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/4912727.pdf

Lokar.png

Inkedlinkage_LI.jpg

Mounting hole C in this picture is the same hole the shifter cable wants you to use.

transmounting-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
i think part of the problem, the old shifter was a front feed cable, this one is a rear feed cable
Step one make the shifter work to select the gears. per instructions for the shifter.
Step two hook up the kick down cable. per the Bouchillon instructions.

Step one make the shifter work to select the gears. per instructions for the shifter.
Step two hook up the kick down cable. per the Bouchillon instructions.
Step 3 Look at where bouchillon wants you to connect the cable bracket. It wont work.

Step 3 Look at where bouchillon wants you to connect the cable bracket. It wont work.
yea, i see that, i have decided to return the shifter, Moparmarks has a column shift linkage, just gonna go back to that

Doesn't solve your kickdown issue, though.

Missing the trans pivot bracket, too.

Oh, well.

Auto Transport Service
Back