• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper motor restoration '68 B body

36viper

Local time
5:38 PM
Reaction score
Hi! I am restoring the wiper motor assembly on my '68 Charger. It appears to have some sort of thin coating on it, but may just be dirty. How should I correctly finish the assembly? Bare metal with some sort of clear coat, or is there a paint that should be applied?
Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Brad/36viper

IMG_6321.JPG IMG_6319.JPG

I admire your willingness to take on the restoration of your wiper motor. I have done a few preservation restorations on these with success, however, learned quickly that it’s so worth it to send ‘‘em to Bruce. The wiper motor is one part of the restoration work that I trust to have Bruce (Wiper Man) complete, especially if your looking for correct appearance. He has done many for me and is very meticulous. They always work perfectly.

2 speed the barrel is painted black, 3 speed it is plated. I send mine to a guy who makes them look like museum quality and has all the correct plating and factory appearance.

2 speed the barrel is painted black, 3 speed it is plated. I send mine to a guy who makes them look like museum quality and has all the correct plating and factory appearance.
Who do you recommend for wiper motor restoration?

I admire your willingness to take on the restoration of your wiper motor. I have done a few preservation restorations on these with success, however, learned quickly that it’s so worth it to send ‘‘em to Bruce. The wiper motor is one part of the restoration work that I trust to have Bruce (Wiper Man) complete, especially if your looking for correct appearance. He has done many for me and is very meticulous. They always work perfectly.
Thanks! Is this your guy? Bruce Somer @ns1aar.

I did this one inside and out.
View attachment 1272544
I'm having a Dyno shop build then paint my '68 HEMI engine soon. Could you please tell me if the fuel pump should be painted....yes, right? How did the factory deal with the valve covers and the carbs when spraying the engine? Should the bell housing be on while painting...yes, right? Are there any instructions somewhere on painting street HEMI's? My painter died 12/31/21 of a heart attack, so the dyno shop is going to paint it.

Wow, SWEET RIDE!! Great job, Beekeeper!! Did you clear-coat the bear metal surfaces to keep them looking so fresh? If so, what did you use?

I used a duplicolor yellow that’s translucent on the motor barrel the rest is bare.

I'm having a Dyno shop build then paint my '68 HEMI engine soon. Could you please tell me if the fuel pump should be painted....yes, right? How did the factory deal with the valve covers and the carbs when spraying the engine? Should the bell housing be on while painting...yes, right? Are there any instructions somewhere on painting street HEMI's? My painter died 12/31/21 of a heart attack, so the dyno shop is going to paint it.

The valve covers were installed prior to paint and sloppily masked off. The carbs were not installed before paint and the spark plug wires were installed while the paint was still wet
therefore they had a bit of orange on them. Yes the manifolds and fuel pump were in place when paint was applied.
Don’t believe the bell housing was attached and the bottom of the oil pan was mostly unpainted.

Great info., Beekeeper! Another guy, who bought a survivor, said that the intake didn't have much paint between the carbs., so do you think the carbs may have been on during painting??
Thanks much!

Auto Transport Service
Back