• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wipers run at random

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:47 AM
Reaction score
So, I have a 3 speed wiper car. 3 speed switch. When I got it...it had a 2 speed motor in it. I recently changed it to a 3 speed motor...but now, the wipers will turn on at random, and never turn off until I shut off the key. I've got them unplugged at the bulkhead now, since that plug only runs the wipers (acting up), and the a/c (not charged or working, anyway).

Is this a common failure symptom for these? I'm guessing there's a short to power somewhere in the switch...at first, I could toggle the switch from off to high and back again a few times and they'd shut off, but no longer. They just...run. Which - don't get me wrong - is nice, I'm glad they work (and on all 3 speeds!), I just wish I had control over stopping them!

I have to tone out the wires at the bulkhead, but as I said, I'm guessing its a short in the switch. I can't see how the motor could do this on its own, without receiving power from the switch somehow....

Auto Transport Service
Back