• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wire harness tape & lubricant

1967 satellite

Local time
6:02 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a tape that closely resembles the tape used on the wiring harness? I need to redo mine and not sure what to use.
Also when plugging in the wiring harness does anyone use some kind of grease?
Many thanks.

There is a different type of tape used. I just use a quality 3M scotch electrical tape. Restoration by the numbers use a different friction tape. I am sure someone will know. As far as lubricant I just use die-electric grease.

The original harness wrap was not any form of tape, it is a vinvl wrap, closest match available now is 1”wide non-adhesive vinyl wrap.
As far as grease on unsealed automotive terminal connections, can't agree with it's use. Unless you are in a very high moisture content climate, there is no need for die-electric grease on any connectors. Die-electric grease is non-conductive and is intended as protection against terminal corrosion caused by exposure to high levels of moisture. It will not improve already corroded or otherwise damaged connections. It also attracts dust and can become nothing more than a big mess if it is over-applied.

Last edited:
Previous two posts are exactly what I used to rewrap the '74 SE harnesses and to lube all push together style connectors. Use friction tape to hold the ends of the harness warp in place and don't stretch the tape too tight. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I cheated slightly by using a small piece of heat-shrink on the ends to prevent unravelling.

Yes, I know they originally tied a knot, but I'm not a sailor or a Boy Scout. :lol:

Adhesive free vinyl wrap and you can always undo a mistake or alteration....with no messy residue or sticky fingers.

Harnesses use different tape, pending year, car line, vendor etc. Superbird nose wiring, regular electrical tape. Others are friction tape. Some are gloss, some are satin.

My go to these days is actually black cloth hockey stick tape...

Friction or cloth tape will eventually release and turn into a gooey mess over time, especially when exposed to under hood temps. Electrical tape used as wrap is not much better. Never seen anything other than non-adhesive vinyl harness wrap used on any Chrysler product originally.

Electrical tape used as wrap is not much better.
I agree with that. Electrical tape is used for a temporary measure only in my work ...like taping up a joint to pull cables.

Never been used as a permanent solution. Anything more than a few days in heat and the glue lets go in our climate.

Electrical tape is also good when you've cut yourself bad and the blood doesn't coagulate. Nothing worse than dripping blood all over an installation. :rolleyes:

Auto Transport Service
Back