• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wire welding lens?

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:03 AM
Reaction score
Had an auto darkening helmet, however it quit working. I see there are replacement auto darkening ones, but the visible area is half or less than the original. So I'm looking at replacement lenses, they come in various numbers. What number should I buy? Appears they run Seven to twelve in shading.

Thanks

Had an auto darkening helmet, however it quit working. I see there are replacement auto darkening ones, but the visible area is half or less than the original. So I'm looking at replacement lenses, they come in various numbers. What number should I buy? Appears they run Seven to twelve in shading.

Thanks
Everyone has their favorite.
A auto dark fixed I want a 10 for stick or mig,
A adjustable 6 to 12
Tig I don't do but know from others you want to drop to 6 or so.
Protect those eyes, to dark is better than to light.
You can always start with a trouble light behind you.

I have 3 welding hoods....two are old school with different shade lens and one auto darkening and if need be, I'll wear a pair of sun glasses with them. May not be the best way but works in the short run and I don't do long term welding anymore.

I have used the auto darkening units for many years. Started off with a Speedglass unit, then a Miller Elite which worked fine for awhile. When I was learning to TIG, I found I had an issue cooking the carbon out of steel, or chrome out of stainless. Even on the lightest setting, by the time I could see the weld pool, it was pretty much too late. Aluminum was easy. When it gets shiny, it's time to move. I borrowed a new, at the time in 2016, Lincoln helmet from one of my classmates. It was marginally better. The substitute instructor had an older Speedglass unit. Tried that one, bingo! I did some research and found the usual helmets, even on the lowest setting, filtered too much light out. Old eyes need more light to see. I asked the people at USA Welding about this and what could be a remedy. They turned me on to the Optrel Vega View 2.5. Swiss made unit. You still have the UV protection but you get way more light through it which makes the weld pool much easier to see. Even though I'm mostly talking about TIG, same situation goes for MIG. I currently have their E684 which was their top dog unit at the time and is better than the VV2.5. They currently have a couple of newer ones that sound better by the info on them. Not cheap but worth the expense in my opinion. Before you plop down money, see how many different units you can borrow to check out. From there you can make your choice.

There are charts with suggestions for shade for each welding process and the amperage of the weld. Generally the higher the current used, the darker (higher shade number) the shade you will want.

I usually run 10-12 for the MIG welding I do on my variable shade helmet. There may be a shade different for personal preference. I’ve also varied my shade depending on how bright the environment is (indoors vs outdoors).

Auto Transport Service
Back