• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With all the fanfare about quench, why then.....

Never did a 68 motor, so I only speak about what I had actual experience with. Also it is in the DC Racing Manual 1979 about Head Swapping. It does mention 68-69 on page 53 Bulletin #2.

I am familiar with racing manual and all of the bulletins.

What did you get when you measured your pistons?

I am familiar with racing manual and all of the bulletins.

What did you get when you measured your pistons?
Your posts seem a little on the "challenging" side. My memory does not go back 40 years on such a non-important item. It really wasn't a big deal and it was what it was. It is documented and if you don't want to accept it then OK. Convincing you is not important and you have the right to believe what you want. I'm not even going to scan the page to "prove" it to you. Enjoy your weekend and enjoy your Mopars!

I know what it says. Its just that the actual piston was not proud. And for what its worth, none of the Mopar piston to deck spec were as published. They were all about 0.020 lower, because the blocks were decked about 0.020 taller.

69 383 RR motors had positive deck height pistons that increased compression and created the Magnum with the change to open chamber heads...
I think you mean 68 and 69......
Never did a 68 motor, so I only speak about what I had actual experience with.....
My '68 RR had 'em also along with steel shim gaskets. Found this out when I had the heads refreshed in 1975, before I got my DC Manual in '76.
Fron the manual....
upload_2020-5-22_13-48-40.png

Note on below picture: this is the only mention of "+" for the wedges including 361 through 440 in the manual.
upload_2020-5-22_13-47-10.png

Thing is, the 906, 452 and pretty much all of the open chamber heads of that era hovered around 90cc with the occasional 88cc head popping up from time to time. To get one to 80cc takes a pretty decent cut....

I know what it says. Its just that the actual piston was not proud. And for what its worth, none of the Mopar piston to deck spec were as published. They were all about 0.020 lower, because the blocks were decked about 0.020 taller.
Would you mind explaining the use of the phrase "Actual piston was not proud" ? I don't recall the term proud ever being used in that context before.

Ol
Would you mind explaining the use of the phrase "Actual piston was not proud" ? I don't recall the term proud ever being used in that context before.
Old term meaning above or seen

My '68 RR had 'em also along with steel shim gaskets. Found this out when I had the heads refreshed in 1975, before I got my DC Manual in '76.
Fron the manual....

Dave, are you saying that the piston was actually above the deck?, Or are you saying that is what the bulletin says?

68-70 340s are above deck

You know you're old when you're using old terms and you don't even know they are old terms.
I meant no offense, I thought it was a typo or something that I hadn't heard before.
Thanks.

I meant no offense, I thought it was a typo or something that I hadn't heard before.
Thanks.

No offense at all. If the shoe fits, wear it........I am old.

No offense at all. If the shoe fits, wear it........I am old.
Define old! Don't think I feel like 80 because I have no idea what 80 feels like but never thought 69 would feel this bad! Not sure I want to be 80......!

You know you're old when you're using old terms and you don't even know they are old terms.
They never go out of style, simple, obvious and easy to understand. But with all the ‘new’ words added since the advent of the internet, I still like the ‘old’ ways.

They never go out of style, simple, obvious and easy to understand. But with all the ‘new’ words added since the advent of the internet, I still like the ‘old’ ways.
I totally agree.........but is't that even more evidence I'm getting old?

Dave, are you saying that the piston was actually above the deck?...…….

Yes sir I am. I was still in HS and had no real clue about deck heights. You tend to remember your firsts though. I distinctly remember the pistons above the block as I was cleaning carbon off the piston tops out in my dad's driveway. I can't give you a dimension as I never had any reason to measure it at that point in time.
BTW, It was also my first "4 speed swap in" car as well, but that's a longer story!

......….Or are you saying that is what the bulletin says?

After I read it in my manual I realized what that was all about.

Define old! Don't think I feel like 80 because I have no idea what 80 feels like but never thought 69 would feel this bad! Not sure I want to be 80......!

I use to look forward to 69... Not so much these days...:rofl:

I've never been all that fond of that....I'd rather do her, have her do me...

Auto Transport Service
Back