• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With all the fanfare about quench, why then.....

The autotec above says it has a 2.07 pin height, so .020 in the hole at blueprint deck heught of 10.725 . Let the compression ratio calculations begin! (Or .013, if you use 6.767 for rod length)

But blueprint height only happens if someones machined the block... At least I've never seen it.... I've seen most at .015-.025 to tall...

I've machined a few to 10.705 since a composition head gasket is typically .020 thicker than a steel shim gasket... So .020 shorter deck, .020 taller gasket, heads are at blueprint spec...

The autotec above says it has a 2.07 pin height, so .020 in the hole at blueprint deck heught of 10.725 . Let the compression ratio calculations begin! (Or .013, if you use 6.767 for rod length)

No calculation is going to make that piston have quench with 906 heads like Z wants

@BSB67 agreed. I guess you didn't read my previous post,
I think you are in between a rock and a hard place then. As far as i know, basically two ways to get quench with a 440, closed chamber heads, either with a flat top or a d-dish to get the compression you want, or... quench dome pistons to fill the open chamber of a 906 head, and i think they are all hypers. I may be wrong about that, icon may have a forged quench piston, i dont know. Then there is always custom pistons, but i would probably go to a closed chamber aluminum head before i paid for custom forged quench pistons.
Or his responses.

No calculation is going to make that piston have quench with 906 heads like Z wants

Agreed... I think he's gonna have to compromise.. Either Hyperutectic pistons or no quench...

Iron Heads no quench forget about a 2.07 tall piston...

you can mill the chamber of the open chamber head away
you can weld up the chamber- we did lots of those
Speed o' motive had them in its catalog
then we developed the quench dome piston -custom forged
then went to John Erb who's article is reprinted above who put the idea into production
BEST ANSWER a little extra clerance will not hurt or you could knurl the non thrust side
or there are coatings that wear away.
use whatever works
what does not work well with today's gas is a flat top
(not that you cannot make hp if you keep the revs above the torque peak and/ or use race gas)

@BSB67 agreed. I guess you didn't read my previous post,

Or his responses.
The guy's on a budget. If you are not going to spend the money to get what you want, why would you spend extra money on pistons that cost more money and require rebalancing the assembly and not get what you want? 2355 pistons, $370, slap it together, done.

Maybe I am missing something.

The guy's on a budget. If you are not going to spend the money to get what you want, why would you spend extra money on pistons that cost more money and require rebalancing the assembly and not get what you want? 2355 pistons, $370, slap it together, done.

Maybe I am missing something.
I think the aftermarket rods are already bought? So a rebalance is needed anyway. Its unfortunate when the rods are bought and the wrong wrist pin was purchased...been there.

I have an .020 deck height
Wish I had decked the block at least .010
I have the Edelbrock 75 cc heads
Thinnest Cometic I could find was .027
Closest quench I could get was .047
Compression is a bit higher than I would like @ 10.7:1

I think the aftermarket rods are already bought? So a rebalance is needed anyway. Its unfortunate when the rods are bought and the wrong wrist pin was purchased...been there.

Budget builds, cutting corners and saving money always seems to have consequences.

compression is 10.7 with what pistons?did I miss something
where do you have to have the intake close at .006 to get the DCR you want with the fuel you want to use?
do you have the pistons what ch?

So, I have a Mopar Engines Manual, 9th edition, and it says You'll make more power WITH flat tops!
I got that in black and white! They even make reference to shitty gas and say to keep the C.R. just
under 10:1. Dat's what I'm talkin about!

compression is 10.7 with what pistons?did I miss something
where do you have to have the intake close at .006 to get the DCR you want with the fuel you want to use?
do you have the pistons what ch?

The pistons are the Speed pro l2355f flat tops
flat tops at .020 in the hole
DCR is 7.847
Cam is the old 509 purple shaft
The reason I mentioned it was post #100 mentioned a .020 deck height
and I wanted the OP to know I had an .020 and wished I had decked the block .010 and got .040 quench instead of settling for .047

and it's BS
dat's flat tops vs domes
with the plug locations domes never worked as they should
even with fire slots
13:1 MAX wedges ran better with lower domes or half domes on the intake side only
and it's BS
remember 6 pack 10.5 adv wer really 9.5 without blueprinting and less with a fel pro gasket
so are they saying a real 10:1?
not saying you can't make good hp running say super stock or a trailered class where you never make power down low or if you can run race gas
with a real 10:1 and quench I shoot for [email protected], 9.7 264 , 9:1 256 etc
unless you ae a super tuner
or you are ready to give up low end and go to a bigger converter and gears
We ran tests for Chrysler and found that going from the 268 hp cam to the 268 MP cam we shortened 60 ft times, going to the 272 lengthend times without drivetriain changes
no way do I run open chamber heads and FT on the Street
been there done tat too many times
life's too short

Stretch the truth? Have you ever read the fine print on a used car contact? It says that unless it is written in the space on the front of the contract they can not be held to what they tell you. They can actually lie to you legally. It even has a name..... Sales Puffery. Look it up.
Sales Puffery. I used to have a girl friend with that name. Can't remember why she ever left me.

Auto Transport Service
Back