• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Woke up to the sound of gunshots

XS22J8R

Local time
7:21 PM
Reaction score
I woke up a few minutes after 6 am this morning.
Trying to motivate myself to get vertical when I hear what sounded like 7 or 8 gunshots.
I headed downstairs and looked out the window and saw traffic at a nearby road traveling normally, everything was typical for a weekday morning.
After a short bit I heard one siren. If it was gunshots I heard I was sure I’d hear a lot of sirens. Those bangs must have been something else.
At lunch I check the news and see that someone a few blocks from me opened their door to walk the dog, and some thugs were nearby trying to steal a car, and emptied a magazine toward the guy, then fled.
Thankfully they missed.
Never any crime to speak of in my area. The Chicago stuff you’d hear about was mostly confined to just a couple bad neighborhoods there until fairly recently. Now it’s spread to the entire city and out into the burbs.
In the last few years there have been several horrible accidents within a mile of my house where someone was driving 100+ mph down a suburban road and T boned someone. One happened at 7:45 on a Sunday morning! The other wiped out a mother, father and oldest daughter and left 2 younger kids orphans. Their wake was at a funeral home around the corner from me. Really hits home coming home to see cars parked all around the neighborhood and realize who they were there to mourn.
I don’t want to start a political thread, just venting my shock at how badly society has gone downhill with crazy people with no regard for others lives everywhere now it seems.

People that are starving, or mired in their
drug habits will find any means to eat, or
connect with their next fix. Sinking
economics exacerbate their actions.
COVID lock downs were the catalyst
that instilled their present state of mind.
Now add to that 5 million, starving,
jobless strangers, unfamiliar with their
new surroundings.
Stay safe, be observant, arm youself.
You've a right to be concerned.

Last edited:
I never used to own a defense weapon. Prior all I owned were hunting rifles. After having been a victim of a home invasion robbery a few years back - we were home sleeping- I'm now well protected both upstairs and down. I will have no pity on the fool that tries any such thing again. We live in a completely different world than that of just a few years ago - and the promise of the future is to become worse. I love my country but I don't love what it is becoming. Fingers can be pointed - but what good does that really do. We're in a lost society purposely being dragged down into the depths of hell by the few that benefit from the destruction. Society be damned - they don't care. I don't know what to do about any of this besides pray for the 2nd coming and in the meantime keep my powder dry and be prepared.

The carjacking and stealing cars by Chicago criminals is all gang related. They have no qualms about shooting at someone in the course of their crime. The only minor positive is that their marksmanship is terrible. The miss far more often than hit their target.
They use the cars to joyride and commit more crimes.
Not like the olden days where stolen cars ended up in chop shops.
A friend of mine gives firearms classes, and close to 2 years ago I took his CCL class more for the heck of it than anything else. I didn’t even bother submitting the paperwork for 10 months afterwards. I got my card in May, but felt no motivation to carry.
That is changing and I’m now seeking a holster. And now taking a combat/defensive firearm class is high on my to-do list.
My late dad was an FFL, so I’ve been around guns my whole life, and I’ve had a minor interest in guns most of my life. I enjoy time at an outdoor range.
But I never desired to carry one, now I feel I have no choice.

"I don't know what to do about any of this"
Yes you do, and you're doing it. Prayer and
the means to protect you and yours. You're
praying to keep yourself and your loved ones
safe, but have the immediate tools to do so.

The carjacking and stealing cars by Chicago criminals is all gang related. They have no qualms about shooting at someone in the course of their crime. The only minor positive is that their marksmanship is terrible. The miss far more often than hit their target.
A friend of mine gives firearms classes, and close to 2 years ago I took his CCL class more for the heck of it than anything else. I didn’t even bother submitting the paperwork for 10 months afterwards. I got my card in May, but felt no motivation to carry.
That is changing and I’m now seeking a holster. And now taking a combat/defensive firearm class is high on my to-do list.
My late dad was an FFL, so I’ve been around guns my whole life, and I’ve had a minor interest in guns most of my life. I enjoy time at an outdoor range.
I worked at a bus company that had
quite a few Illinois/Indiana transplants.
Back in 1988 I started hearing the stories
of Chicago. Wouldn't move there on a bet.

if I could recommend - I highly suggest a Vedder Holster. on the rec of my long time friend, former LEO and later legal arms dealer - he turned me on to Vedder. Not cheap - but the best in class. I bought an IWB holster for my new S&W 9mm Hi Viz Shield. It's a CCW favorite gun - subcompact 3" barrel one of the few on the CA approved list. This Vedder is the perfect complement to carry it. Check them out and if you want exact details on what I bought just pm me. I'm happy to share and more than happy with the holster. My friend is a tactical weapons and gear expert - when he speaks I listen. There are other complimentary components you'll need as well. One is the perfect carry belt - again his rec - Kore Essentials. Another best in breed. There are a million less expensive options - but when it comes to something as critical as proper CCW gear - how much is it worth to you. He buys the best and has tried many of everything. I follow suit and am always very pleased with his recs. After all yours or a loved one's life may depend on it - He trains many people and keeps copious notes on what, how and why to do everything he's training on - he provides me with all and I keep a file on everything he sends me. He trained me to tactical proficiency until he moved to FL a few years back. But we still converse every 2 weeks at least. Anything more you'd like to tap into - just letknow pm or otherwise.
4DC7CA24-28A8-4C02-94D2-E8AFDC27CBEE.jpeg

Last edited:
Where I live during the summer months it's so bad people go into the park across the street just to unload a magazine then get in their car and leave. When we hear shots farther in town we try to guess the caliber. Growing up in the same area in the 70's you never even heard one shot.

A little bit different scenario out here in the hollers, of course - the sound of gunfire isn't something
unusual, nor is it typically something to be concerned over.
As it's said: "Sounds like freedom to me".
Owning more than one firearm and enough property to exercise them, the gunfire you hear sometimes
might even be me, even though my target range is being used less and less these days.
I'm into ammo hoarding a bit more...

As far as what the OP reported happening in his "hood", there's nothing new with anything to do with
urbanite subhumans and their destruction of cities - hell, urban decay has been happening for decades now -
and the causes for same are well known, yet most folks are woefully fearful to state them.

Unless and until people are willing to face what has caused so much destruction of western civilization these last
50 years, there is no stopping it. There is only the self-preservation of protecting you and yours against what
is to come.

Where I live, I hear multiple gunshots all day long and into the early evening. Of course, I live a half mile away from the local gun range.

Little Rock is getting a bit of the Wild West reputation. Shootings and murder rates are setting records already and two more months are left to count. They had a Shot Spotter incident a couple of months ago and upon arriving the cops counted 130 shell casings - and you can be pretty certain they missed a few, Every week, at least once or twice I read where someone was apprehended with a Glock with something called a Glock trigger switch which illegally converts them to full auto. Then they insert extended length mags in them. However some of them will not cease firing when the trigger is released so once the trigger is pulled they empty the entire magazine and the idiot just sprays everything with bullets until the mag is emptied. Everyone they catch with a gun who has a criminal record is turned over to federal law authorities so there’s none of that cashless bail nonsense and they get lengthy sentences with more restrictive parole - but the dope heads and gang bangers don’t seem to care. Fortunately I live north of the river in a suburb that has more cops per capita than anywhere in the state I think.

I heard gunshots Sunday morning when I got up early and went out to the garage to prepare to cut a huge hole in the roof of a perfectly good Charger. I think they were deer hunting in the woods behind my house.

I heard gunshots Sunday morning when I got up early and went out to the garage to prepare to cut a huge hole in the roof of a perfectly good Charger. I think they were deer hunting in the woods behind my house.
They thought it was an Impala so they shot it. :rofl:

Thanks for the rec on the holster.
I‘d asked my friend who does firearms training and he’s said he’s on his 6th holster so far. He made it sound like one needs to try different ones out before finding one they like.
I’ve tried to take inventory and make sense of everything that has changed over the 60 years of my life.
I can’t claim I have it figured out, but as I dig I find many clues. I think I can take some pride in at least putting in a lot of time and energy into digging into it. Most people are content to not even think of it. Like the proverbial frog in a pot of hot water.
Or those who consider themselves politically engaged but then just blindly parrot their favorite politicians or media entertainment channels talking points.
I listen to commentators like Ben Shapiro, Matt Walsh, and a British intellectual named Douglass Murray. They often speak on the destruction of traditional family values and societal values in the west. I think they are on to something. I don’t come away from it feeling any optimism things will change for the better. More so that the west is doomed.
Walsh at least makes light of it, with his very dry sense of humor. The Titanic may be sinking, but at least we can enjoy sitting on the deck laughing for our last moments as we joke about it while the ship sinks.

I worked at a bus company that had
quite a few Illinois/Indiana transplants.
Back in 1988 I started hearing the stories
of Chicago. Wouldn't move there on a bet.
In the 80s, I began my corporate trucking career working for an outfit based in South Chicago. As the company became respectable, it moved over the state line to Indiana, next to Gary. We had a driver killed in the corporate parking lot, professional quality hit. Cops figured it was a road rage event that migrated from the expressway. Prior to working at the corporate office, I did a tour in the South Bronx, opening a terminal in the Hunts Point Terminal Market. The terminal area was "protected" as were most of our customers in the NYC metro area. Gunfire was a regular thing when outside the market. The key to keeping alive was to not migrate out of safe zones. One block the wrong way could become a disaster. On the inside, we had a terminal manager embezzle $1.5 million from the company. Terrific environment.

My parents fled NYC to central PA in 1948 to escape this garbage. Sadly, it is nothing new..

Thanks for the rec on the holster.
I‘d asked my friend who does firearms training and he’s said he’s on his 6th holster so far. He made it sound like one needs to try different ones out before finding one they like.
I’ve tried to take inventory and make sense of everything that has changed over the 60 years of my life.
I can’t claim I have it figured out, but as I dig I find many clues. I think I can take some pride in at least putting in a lot of time and energy into digging into it. Most people are content to not even think of it. Like the proverbial frog in a pot of hot water.
Or those who consider themselves politically engaged but then just blindly parrot their favorite politicians or media entertainment channels talking points.
I listen to commentators like Ben Shapiro, Matt Walsh, and a British intellectual named Douglass Murray. They often speak on the destruction of traditional family values and societal values in the west. I think they are on to something. I don’t come away from it feeling any optimism things will change for the better. More so that the west is doomed.
Walsh at least makes light of it, with his very dry sense of humor. The Titanic may be sinking, but at least we can enjoy sitting on the deck laughing for our last moments as we joke about it while the ship sinks.
Holsters are a money pit item. :)
If you're into pistols, you'll wind up with all sorts of them - leather, kydex, IWB, OWB, on and on....
Best thing might be to find a large retailer that has a selection so you can lay hands on some of them
before you buy but holsters are like shoes to dudes - what fits him don't fit him-other or him-that-guy.

Oh....and if you're left-handed, God help ya (I am). Selection gets easier because well...there ain't that
many out there to choose from.

I always liked Shapiro, even with his 400mph delivery. Wish he'd slow down a bit, but that dude has a
razor sharp mind and isn't afraid to engage it.
Yes, what has happened/is happening in our urban centers is well known (suffice to say, the "War on
Poverty" of the last 55 years has totally failed) but all anyone wants to seemingly do is throw even more
money at it, which is like gasoline on a raging fire.
Insanity: To continue doing the exact same things, yet expecting different results.

My office is in the highest crime area of Phoenix (Maryvale). Over the last few years walking the 50 feet from my park spot to the door have found these

EBFF3598-3AA0-491E-99B6-1616EB7D7FB6.jpeg

A couple weeks ago Tulsa sheriff dept busted a catalytic converter kingpin. 15 people arrested along with an estimated $500,000 worth of converters. They are brazen thefts, middle of the day in busy parking lots, in front of your home with armed lookouts protecting the thief. My neighborhood is still considered country but for the last couple years I stay armed pretty much 24/7.

Auto Transport Service
Back