• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wont idle any clue?

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:40 PM
Reaction score
1970 charger 318 been sitting for 16 years. So got it running and original carb I had to pump it at low rpm would not idle. Bought new carb same thing. Plugged all vacs on intake and still will not idle . Starts no problem and higher RPM does not miss. Points distributor new cap rotor and wires. Im thinking carbs are good. Any clue could it be timing? I did check timing before starting engine and it was good. No info on engine was told rebuilt before it sat. Vac leak. guess I need to have another body to keep engine running and I can spray carb cleaner on intake.

Was this ever run and was it working good after the rebuild?

Advance the timing a bunch.

timing Chain off a tooth?

yes vacuum leak, try to cover most of the top of the carb with a rag and see if it idles.

Was this ever run and was it working good after the rebuild?

Advance the timing a bunch.

timing Chain off a tooth?

yes vacuum leak, try to cover most of the top of the carb with a rag and see if it idles.
was told it had 200 miles on rebuild. No other info.

Use my M-E-F method of troubleshooting. Mechanical. Electrical. Fuel. You jumped all the way to fuel, bought a new carb for nothing. You can do all you want with fuel and electrical, if the mechanical ain't right... nothing will cure the issue. Compression test ? Start there.

probably not the case, but I had a 5 dollar condenser make me nuts

Use my M-E-F method of troubleshooting. Mechanical. Electrical. Fuel. You jumped all the way to fuel, bought a new carb for nothing. You can do all you want with fuel and electrical, if the mechanical ain't right... nothing will cure the issue. Compression test ? Start there.
did a compression test before even starting the engine :thumbsup:

1st car with points did clean them but did not check gap,if gap was off wouldnt it miss at higher RPM? Not fire right up?

Yes, if the gap is too close or too wide it can cause misfire.

If it backfires when giving it throttle and runs weak this could be the condenser.

Won't idle can be point gap and or timing. Must check timing after setting points.

Good. Now, what's your vacuum gauge reading ? if all's well, look into electrical next. Spark at TDC on compression stroke #1 ?
hard to check vac if engine wont idle

Just when cold? Or even after warmed up? Could be the choke thermostat if the problem goes away after the engine is fully warmed up.

update last owner said only 14 miles on engine and doesnt know if engine builder broke it in. He did say he drove it and it idled .

Auto Transport Service
Back