• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Workin on the Dart "The thread"

Well dyno day didn’t go quite to plan. Spent all day Monday fighting a reversion problem with the cross ram. Tried 2 sets of carbs, different coil, crank trigger, re-sealed the lid. Pretty much threw the kitchen sink at it and it would not straighten out. I was offered a little time the next day if I wanted to try something different. I pulled the cross ram off at the end of the day Monday and realized it was pulling oil up from the bottom and obviously had a pretty decent vacuum leak. Being the day had went so bad I opted to go home and grab an old barton single plane I had picked up. It’s completely un-ported and the older style with smaller runners. I grabbed a few of my dominators and went at it again today. Unfortunately this old intake requires the use of straps across the ends of the valley to keep the tray from deflecting. Not having those proved to put an early end to my day. I made a hit with my BLP carb I run on the roadrunner. She sounded good and we shut her down at 6500 to the tune of 806hp. That blew all the silicone out of the ends of the now deflecting valley tray. I had to pull the intake again and reseal it. I knew I was only going to get one more hit. I tossed on my 1150 and told him go to 7k. She put 818 up at 6900. Carb was a bit lean. Wish I could have jetted it up and did some timing sweeps. All in all though she’s pretty stout. Definably power still on the table. I did get to spend some quality time with my dad, he enjoys the hell out of this stuff.

48D6AECF-B041-441A-BDB7-69A85BEF1458.jpeg

87EB44DB-90D1-4B9C-A500-C32CC8948989.jpeg
026B1EC9-C09B-4AD1-A84F-AC8E711A031E.jpeg
03A04901-6674-4078-88EE-E5F645C6BD7D.jpeg
4CDC5CCF-8708-4C09-9A9D-A0DC96847A1E.jpeg

Nice to hear it run, healthy girl

all lil' stuff, sounds like

did you ever figure out what was going on with the cross ram ?
& intake leaking ?
was the manifold cut wrong ?
or need more/thicker or different style of intake gaskets ?
I assume it doesn't use a valley pan ? (with the cross ram)

anyway thanks for sharing the dyno stuff too
always good reads & results

Nice to hear it run, healthy girl

all lil' stuff, sounds like

did you ever figure out what was going on with the cross ram ?
& intake leaking ?
was the manifold cut wrong ?
or need more/thicker or different style of intake gaskets ?
I assume it doesn't use a valley pan ? (with the cross ram)

anyway thanks for sharing the dyno stuff too
always good reads & results

I think the angles are ok, but I’m going to recheck them. It was defiantly sucking air and oil from the bottom. I probably messed up by not gluing it down. I didn’t want to have to pry on that magnesium to take it apart in the future.

Auto Transport Service
Back