• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Workin on the Dart "The thread"

One of the differences between a wedge and a Hemi Block is the Hemi Has oil returns in the lower corners of the deck that drain the heads. Normally they are open into the crank case. There’s nothing to direct the oil. I’m trying to get it past the reciprocating assembly using these copper tubes I bent up. I drilled and reamed the lower part of the hole so they slip in. I’ll then clamp them down by the pan rail.

With the effort you put into it,why not enlarge the entire drainback and use a larger diameter tube?

With the effort you put into it,why not enlarge the entire drainback and use a larger diameter tube?

Block is too damn hard, I’d be afraid of breaking a bit off trying to hand drill it. Plus it seemed sufficient, I never had any oiling issues. I just want to aliviate additional windage.

A little mock up

FEBE1903-1EA2-4AD9-80E2-9F435D3ED38A.jpeg
8B2EB2EE-CBCB-4B35-BEF1-CAD2EFCACFDE.jpeg
9955BCA4-AC3B-49C8-A189-1CADA614252D.jpeg

I sure am making a career out of this thing. Decided to pushrod oil the top end. Worked with the guys at best machine, they seemed to have it figured out. They bushed the block and ordered me their spec lifters. I have a 500 inch motor I’m building for my dad’s dart first, then I’ll get back in the Hemi. All that of course after I move.

FE479E78-C490-46EB-A31B-D84D6A0352BE.jpeg

After a few year hiatus I’m back after it. Did a few Mach ups to get things situated. In a good spot to assemble it now.

6F1B537B-4A57-4668-B5CD-DE589A31F616.jpeg
C4A54537-C39A-4BAC-8326-69628D9D12CA.jpeg
E46ABCC8-5802-4FAA-BF29-7543ACBC83D1.jpeg
A44ECCE3-C82C-4182-8B08-32C458789261.jpeg
CD902499-0404-4ED0-BA21-FBCFC77CBAAE.jpeg
B1FC2B72-04C9-4A36-8E90-1E00EF515626.jpeg

Is that a special coating on the bearings?

Funny I was thinking today when driving, should a guy choose bearings with the thought of using traditional or Synthetic?
Are there things specific to using one or the other? Like maybe using full groove bearings with standard oil and no groove with syn.? Just thinking out loud....

good to see ya' & have ya' back posting @68 HEMI GTS

love them parts

I always like reading your build treads

Did you have to adjust your clearances much with the coated bearings?

Did you have to adjust your clearances much with the coated bearings?

I had coated bearings with the last crank so I already had the mains opened up. I had to 1/2 shell the rods to get what I wanted for clearance with the coated bearings.

One of the differences between a wedge and a Hemi Block is the Hemi Has oil returns in the lower corners of the deck that drain the heads. Normally they are open into the crank case. There’s nothing to direct the oil. I’m trying to get it past the reciprocating assembly using these copper tubes I bent up. I drilled and reamed the lower part of the hole so they slip in. I’ll then clamp them down by the pan rail.

That and 4 bolt mains ------

Auto Transport Service
Back