• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WORLD RECORD - 1987 Buick GNX Sale - BARRETT-JACKSON LAS VEGAS

:rofl:

I got yer cornuto right here...

Mr Rogers Finger.gif

1968 to 1972 is a pretty short decade. I know they shared glass and some frame dimensions but the GM a bodies had their own unique fenders, quarter panels, hood, trunk and bumpers. As far as that goes, Plymouth and Dodge shared glass and doors between the Coronet and Belvedere line too while the rest differed, but Desoto was gone and Chrysler didn't have a B body before the Cordoba, otherwise you could be saying that Mopar might have had four similar designs as well. And remember, back then GM divisions each had their own engines to further differentiate the platforms. These examples are all the same year - 1971.
View attachment 1141130View attachment 1141131View attachment 1141132View attachment 1141133
Your right. It was shorter time frame. By mid 70s their hood size began to grow. But the narrative is still solid in my opinion. That Mopar takes more design risk. It's the underlying reason why I abandoned my Pontiac roots. It's like judging art? How do you judge paintings, sculptures? By what catches and holds your eye.

This of course is very subjective. And just my opinion. But I see my Chevy friends eyes. Their eyes can't lie. Even though they can. Lol.

Last edited:
dude I hung out with in school had one of these....... he beat the piss out of it non stop, on the street, in the fields, in the woods!.....lmao he's hold his foot to the floor and drop it in low at like 5K....... it was indestructible!

1968%2BOldsmobile%2BCutlass%2B442%2BW-30%2BFront%2BLeft.jpg

What is all this Blasphemy? The 455 was always over rated. And indestructible? Wow. Not what came thru our service station.

My stepdad Bob was a big Pontiac guy
you could say I had an affliction for Ponchos or Tin Indians too
Firebirds/Trans Ams Formulas & GTOs

I like Buicks (since we're talking the General here). But, honestly, I would love to own a Poncho...like this one that I was a c hair away from purchasing a few years back...

View attachment 1141134
I briefly owned a gen 1 1969 for about a month,
I got it in a 'debt owed to me', in lew of payment
I sold it to make payroll, I needed the $$$, $20k back in mid-late the 90's
I wish I could have kept it...

I like the early Gen 2s (70-81), personally IMO the 75 & earlier myself
(77 in some cases, Bandit editions 4 speeds)
I had a 70-1/2 Ram Air white with blue stripe
& a 73 SD 455 blue with white stripe

I've had a bunch of Trans Ams,
I know you know already
(I was the 'white trash' in a Trans Am)
they made great racecars also
later versions have very good low drag coefficient/aero in frontal areas too
the gen 3rd gen (82-92) I had several
I had the 20th Aniv. 1989 DD white/tan-saddle interior,
an 87 T/S dbl rail tube chassis car & a later re-bodied the same car
for a 92 slant-nose Outlaw P/S, for Super Chevy races, paid very well
my fastest racecar ever 6.69 @ 217, BBGM Corporate combo Big Cheif
very wedge-shaped cars
4th gen (93 -2002) also have/had very good aerodynamics
I had the 25th Anniv. GT 1994 my DD tribute to the 1st, white with blue stripe
my friends called it 'an expensive vessel for hauling my golf clubs'
they fit perfectly where you stored the t-tops when not in place
& also the 30th Anniv. GT 1999 editions, also tribute white & blue stripe
I had a 97 racecar T/S & re-bodied it/front slant-nose/as a 2001 WS6 style Outlaw P/S

& several IIRC 92 (3rd gen), 95, 97, 2000 of the SLP Firehawks/Trans Ams,
of 3rd & mostly the 4th gen.s
very well handling cars, quick for the day, special tunes,
like 20-30hp more than std, before any special Pontiac service tunes
bigger better wider tires/wheels
bigger better brakes
bigger better sway bars
better shocks
better spring rates
an actual roll bar
with special air intake packages
very limited runs

Last edited:
In 1989, the Shelby Dakota came out, as well as the Dakota convertible pickup. I wanted so bad to order a Shelby Dakota Convertible truck!!! I actually wrote correspondence to both Chrysler and Shelby to try to get one built; obviously to no avail.

In 1989, the Shelby Dakota came out, as well as the Dakota convertible pickup. I wanted so bad to order a Shelby Dakota Convertible truck!!! I actually wrote correspondence to both Chrysler and Shelby to try to get one built; obviously to no avail.

The Shelby Dodges are the red-headed stepchild in the Shelby world and virtually worthless today. Having owned two, I know.

They're cool, but weren't built by Carroll. Only licensed.

The only difference between the 89 Shelby Dakota and the 89 Dakota convertible was, Shelby figured out how to stuff the 318 in the Dakota (electric cooling fans); the convertible was 3.9 V6 only.

Compared to a Hellcat the GNX has half the engine and half the hp. Plus the GNX had crappy GM 1980's quality. They had weak transmissions had a problem with frame cracking the interiors were cheap. In todays world the 276 hp GNX wouldn't be considered a performance car.

I do like the 1970 GS Buicks. Other than a weak rear end they were well built.

They're cool, but weren't built by Carroll. Only licensed.

The only difference between the 89 Shelby Dakota and the 89 Dakota convertible was, Shelby figured out how to stuff the 318 in the Dakota (electric cooling fans); the convertible was 3.9 V6 only.

Reading through this thread and having owned three of them in the past I wanted to add you could also get a 4 cylinder in them starting in 1990. Most were V6s but, there is a few 4 cylinder trucks. The other thing is that in 1991 there was a couple of V8 convertibles that were built and but, I only know of one. A Chrysler executive was the original owner I believe.

Also, starting in 1990 you could order the convertible on the base package which meant some trucks came with crank windows and I owned one with the crank windows. Wish I would of kept it. Problem these days is finding parts for them.

BTW, here's a link to the V8 truck. http://veh-markets.com/cars/other-c...tory-convertible-1-of-8-produced-v-8-52l.html

Last edited:
I do like the 1970 GS Buicks. Other than a weak rear end they were well built.
GS cars did NOT come with 12 bolt Chevy rear axles unless they were made in Canada or for Canada. Even then, they were not posi. Posi had to be ordered separately and was not included with the GS performance package. Only two Buick stage 2 models were ever raced back in the day, the project was killed due to pollution standard kicking in.

Auto Transport Service
Back