• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would a Carb Change Be Worth It

"Lack luster. Also add the 4010 & 4011 to that list. They all worked as intended. No issues."

So it's more a question of what they're capable of, rather than quality control issues or anything like that?

I was pretty blunt, honest and forthcoming about it all. I think I said what needed to be said and nothing more needs to be said about it. If there is/was an issue/short coming/etc. I’d be glad to point it out. And as such, I did.

Keep reading into things some more and get less in answers. Or purchase one and try it out and see what it is all about. Once your done fiddling around with it, purchase another carb and compare them. Then do it again. Once you reach 7 or 8 carbs of the same or approximate cfm from 3 or 4 different styles and manufacturers, let me know what you think.

you might want to consider Holley model 4360 450 cfm spread bore. they can be had used and easily rebuilt or already rebuilt. performance and mileage in one package. Don't let the mechanical secondaries scare you, they work just fine, it is an economy carb and will out perform any two bbl and is much simpler than a quadrajet or 4175.

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I just remembered something that may be important: it is a factory AC car, with that 2-piston compressor. Might that affect fitment of certain manifolds? I'd like to go with a Thermoquad in the future, but I'd rather not get rid of the AC if possible.

The Edelbrock Performer should be a direct replacement for a factory manifold; A/C, coil, etc. I have a '69 Coronet with a 318. I also have a good Thermoquad that I bought in the mid '90s for a 360 that I no longer have.
I've been thinking about switching to a 4bbl.
The Weiand manifold doesn't have a provision for the coil.
A year and a half ago I had Discount Tire put a 2" dual exhaust on it (the original exhaust rusted out at the Y pipe).
The thing runs like a top, the Carter BBD is so damn simple, and adjusting the transmission throttle contol linkage is simple.
I just hate to mess with a good thing.
Original camshaft.
I would expect to get a little better gas milege and some more power with the Thermoquad.
I just don't know if it's worth the hastle.
My car 99.5% never sees over 3,000 rpm.

Fair enough. And what if I was only doing carb and intake?

Performer intake as mentioned, and for the carb you cannot beat a a thermoquad. Qjet or Edlebrock would be my second choice. Nothing wrong with a stock cast iron 4bbl manifold either if you can come by one on the cheap.

The Edelbrock Performer should be a direct replacement for a factory manifold; A/C, coil, etc. I have a '69 Coronet with a 318. I also have a good Thermoquad that I bought in the mid '90s for a 360 that I no longer have.
I've been thinking about switching to a 4bbl.
The Weiand manifold doesn't have a provision for the coil.
A year and a half ago I had Discount Tire put a 2" dual exhaust on it (the original exhaust rusted out at the Y pipe).
The thing runs like a top, the Carter BBD is so damn simple, and adjusting the transmission throttle contol linkage is simple.
I just hate to mess with a good thing.
Original camshaft.
I would expect to get a little better gas milege and some more power with the Thermoquad.
I just don't know if it's worth the hastle.
My car 99.5% never sees over 3,000 rpm.

If what you have is working well, no need to mess with it.

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I just remembered something that may be important: it is a factory AC car, with that 2-piston compressor. Might that affect fitment of certain manifolds? I'd like to go with a Thermoquad in the future, but I'd rather not get rid of the AC if possible.
I have a thermoquad off a '78 440 motorhome- free if you want it- pay shipping. the engine it was on was spotless inside low miles, they parked it and critters ate the wiring and it sat.

Auto Transport Service
Back