• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you buy a lemon?

I've done pretty well with "customer returns".

Still can't figure out why someone returned my 2003 Craftsman 42" rider mower.

Saved me $400 and it's the best mower I've ever had.

So I have had a " Buy back truck " " Lemon Law " It was a 2015 2500 Megacab 4x4 Cummins . In 2014 , 2015 , 2016 Ram had a terrible vibration problem with the 2500 4x4 trucks . This is extremely well known and there are hundreds/thousands of posts on the truck/Cummins forums . They all vibrate to a point , some like mine were so bad that you could not leave anything on the front center seat with out it vibrating off and landing on the floor . I got lucky that my vibration started at only 23,000 miles / 9 months old and within the bumper to bumper time period . The dealership replaced the rear diff , drive shafts , rear hubs , changed tires and rims , changed ball joints , etc .... and no change . The dealership bought a vibration analysis machine as per Corporate directive , and the analysis showed an up and down vibration but no rotating parts would match the oscillation pattern . My truck was a point of conversation at the Rocky Mt service and parts meeting . It was the second truck bought back for that problem . The first was bought back and shipped to Denver for a complete tear down , all parts were within spec , so no answer for the vibration issues . The 3500's had a different suspension .... and no vibration . After 160 days at the dealership I was given the phone number for the regional service manager in Denver , and I quoted the Wyoming " Lemon Law " to him . The next day I got a call from Stericycle , the 3rd party company that facilitates buy backs . Everything went smooth and I ended up with a 2017 Megacab with the redesigned suspension and no vibration . My 2015 was sold at auction WITHOUT any warranty even though it had less than 36,000/3 years of service . Now back to the original posters question .... be VERY careful . Sorry to

@eldubb440 and​

@1 Wild R/T but you guys have no clue about what you are talking about​

Buy it.

"Lemon" laws apply to ANY repeat "issue". You can have the infotainment system crap out three times....and it qualifies.

Sounds like you're covered either way on this one. You have a newer engine, AND you have a longer warranty. How long is that warranty? That's your resell deadline - you can always sell it before that warranty runs out, by saying "it still has factory warranty", if the need arises.

If you like the car, it drives nice, SHE likes the car, and you know it can (and will) be fixed again if need be...buy it. Enjoy. Good score!

Because they mowed the lawn, had the wedding, and moved on.. :lol:

You can say there is no such thing as a lemon but, until you own one, ya dunno jack.

That's why Homeless Depot has a policy now on gas powered items. The second you fire it up, you own it and have to get it repaired under warranty.

as for buying a lemon law vehicle, it depends on the what it was lemon'd for. The OP case of engine leaking oil and they replaced the long block (and hopefully any oil lines to coolers it might have), I'd buy it. Intermittent issues like vehicle shutting down/stalling in traffic that mechanic can't figure out despite throwing the parts department at or a driveability issue? Walk away..

Just my opinion... your mileage may vary..

You can say there is no such thing as a lemon but, until you own one, ya dunno jack.

91 S10 pickup
10 miles from dealer, rear main bearing spun. Replaced short block.
8K miles away, burning oil on startup. Replaced valve seals. Still burning.
8500 miles, heads are redone by machine shop.
8750 miles, crank knock heard. Dealer says unrelated.. I say get oil analyzed for leftover material from cleaning/machine work. Oil sample lost, can they get another. Umm no, you drained oil remember?

Contacted GM... drove out a few days later with a Lumina Z34.

as for buying a lemon law vehicle, it depends on the what it was lemon'd for
...they can't sell them un-repaired...it's strictly a disclosure situation. And if the problem returns, you have additional ammunition via the prior repairs and the warranty extension.

Monday early start of shift car
or Friday just before quitting time car
Every day after lunch break on the assembly-line cars

(Chrysler Corp. Union Employees that got busted, in an expose'
drinkers & stoners comes to mind, (?) K-car era
I'm sure every other brand had it too, they hadn't just been 'bailed out')

too bad we don't know, when they are built :poke:

I've purchased a few buy-backs over the years, mostly early lease returns
especially still under warranty
if the price was right & anything can be fixed, by a good & qualified tech.
not all dealerships or techs of/or the service writers are equals

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lemon,
seems like 'lawyer legalese', a term to get their clients $$$ back

I had a girlfriend back in college days, she had a POS 1976 Honda 600
that car was freaken' cursed, LEMON material if ever there was one
never-ending fixes (part was her fault too, many people loved them POSs)
I got fed up & I finally sold it
& bought her a returned lease, like 15k miles Conv. 79 Super Beatle EFI
she had no car issues for the rest of the time we were together,
she still had her issues, she put at least 50k miles on it,
only thing ever done was frequent oil changes, reg. tuneup stuff
& valve adj. every other oil change, that you have to keep up on, on those older VW's
the best $5k I ever spent, it was a fun car too...

LEMON
I think of **** like Yugos' or Volts', of the 1979 GM EV, JUNK
that type of ****/POSs the govt. funds & subsidies
offer sales &/or 'Tax incentives', JUNK
blinded brainwashed ideological sheeple all flock to/fall for (dumbasses)
only because they can't sell them otherwise, lose $$$ on ever car
many current EVs "Tax incentives driven", JUNK today
will be there too, it's just not time for them "yet",
no infrastructure to support it, JUNK
80's S10/GMC S15 with 60* 2.8ltr V6s, JUNK
or early years of Corvairs', JUNK
80's GM 3500 6.3 Diesels, JUNK

even some Vegas' & Pintos', JUNK more than LEMONs
But;
they made some great platforms, to build lightweight racecars,
but every aspect was replaced
I'm sure even some of them were OK, prior too...

Last edited:
Monday early start of shift car
or Friday just before quitting time car
Every day after lunch break on the assembly-line cars

Edited for content..

It's a running joke but worst car to buy is one started on a Friday afternoon before Memorial Day, and finished on Tuesday when everyone came back after the 3 day drinking binge...

Not sure to what degree the Monday, Friday production affects modern day vehicles, but back in the late 60s, early 70s, my dad bought three brand new A bodies. They were not created equally. The first and the last were well assembled, reliable cars, with decent paint quality. I drove the first, a '67 Valiant, until it was 13 years old (shown in picture in 1980), after my mom was done with it. I would have kept the car years longer, but I was downsizing to return to school. The 1973 Dodge Dart was passed on to my sister in similar fashion, and driven a decade with no issues.

The middle car, a 1970 Valiant, was junk from the start. Horrible paint, bare spots, runs, inside out rust through around headlight wells in two years, rattles, and leaks. Dad traded it at three years, with only 19,000 miles on it. We assumed it was a Monday or Friday car, bad luck of the draw. Dad considered it a lemon from the start, kept it till paid off because the dealer took care of him on the warranty work.
67 Valiant.jpg

All great feedback and interesting stories. I appreciate every word!

I should probably start another thread titled "Would you consider a 8 grand savings on a Lemon" as that is what the decision encompasses when considering tax and out the door costs. I can't really find a BRAND NEW Charger that has exactly what I want, but if I did I would pay about 8 grand more. Since I do not finance cars that 8 grand is a significant hit on the bank account.

Some information that I am considering is this car was Lemon Law buyback in the over regulated People's Republic of California. It seems to qualify for a Lemon Buyback there it is a simple, easy process and there is now a cottage industry dedicated to processing Lemon Buybacks in that state. The Buyback is an easy exit for Buyer's Remorse, and it could be the deal in this case.

CarMax is shipping a F8 2021 Charger R/T base from Phoenix to Tucson tonight (for FREE). This car has 20K miles, clean CarFax, but the no dicker sticker price of $39,998 for a base car really makes this ultra low mileage loaded Lemon attractive for LESS MONEY.

A two year old base model car with 20K miles is about $1,000 more than a one year old car loaded with options, 4K miles, and a new engine. Difficult decision.

Keep the comments coming!

If the dealer knows you're seriously interested, you might see if they'll let you borrow the car for two or three days to be sure you're satisfied that nothing unexpected will show up. This one doesn't have the 392 that you wanted but otherwise looks like a good deal.

...they can't sell them un-repaired...it's strictly a disclosure situation. And if the problem returns, you have additional ammunition via the prior repairs and the warranty extension.

If they can't fix them before the lemon law buys them back, how can they fix them to repair them enough to sell them, esp if it's a intermittent electrical issue?

In the case of my truck that got bought back, I got a phone call a few months after it was gone from the guy that bought it. It had been wholesaled to another dealer, he found my name thru a service record I left in the glove box. He was not happy when I told him the story.

If they can't fix them before the lemon law buys them back, how can they fix them to repair them enough to sell them, esp if it's a intermittent electrical issue?

In the case of my truck that got bought back, I got a phone call a few months after it was gone from the guy that bought it. It had been wholesaled to another dealer, he found my name thru a service record I left in the glove box. He was not happy when I told him the story.
They sit on 'em till they find a fix, or they go back to corporate to be the guinea pig to find the fix ON.

If they've done the best they can when they put it up for resale, but not 100% certain it's the final-fix? Extra warranty as a safeguard for the buyer.

I know when lemon laws were first introduced, manufactures woudl buy the vehicle back and research the cause of the problem them destroy them (this was according to cousin who was a service manager). Things probably changed over the years..

Here’s my 2 cents. That car will always be a buy back, thanks to CarFax. Today you save $8k. What happens when you sell it? Still a buy back. Does that depreciation gap get bigger, sort of like R-Title? Make it harder to sell? Who knows, something to think about.

If you do buy it, get as much warranty as you can and enjoy. Just don’t complain if it’s in for repair.

Personally I would steer clear of it, but I don’t keep stuff that long. Resale would keep me up at night.

Here’s my 2 cents. That car will always be a buy back, thanks to CarFax. Today you save $8k. What happens when you sell it? Still a buy back. Does that depreciation gap get bigger, sort of like R-Title? Make it harder to sell? Who knows, something to think about.

If you do buy it, get as much warranty as you can and enjoy. Just don’t complain if it’s in for repair.

Personally I would steer clear of it, but I don’t keep stuff that long. Resale would keep me up at night.
This is a good point. I am the opposite - I run stuff forever. I drive a 21 year old Lexus with 225,000 miles. I bought it 12 years ago for $11,000. Depreciation is not a factor in my world. But because I plan on long service from already depreciated vehicles, I demand a clean, detailed history. The Lexus had a clean car fax, three owners who leased it from the original dealership, and had it serviced there.

So depending on how long the OP plans on keeping the car, resale could be a factor. The car's history does not help in this area. But here's a counter point - when I was in corporate trucking, our maintenance director always dumped the trucks which had done five years with no major repairs first, figuring they were first in line to blow up. He held on to the ones which had already had engine work, figuring that their useful life had been extended.

Auto Transport Service
Back