• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you buy a lemon?

How does one go about buying a buy back vehicle?
Matt

They sit on 'em till they find a fix, or they go back to corporate to be the guinea pig to find the fix ON.

If they've done the best they can when they put it up for resale, but not 100% certain it's the final-fix? Extra warranty as a safeguard for the buyer.

Of course they'd never just sell it and claim it was "fixed" and just hope the next buyer would not pursue a claim.

Would they?

On the whole mon/fri car build thing,,,,,,
Didn't the plants run 7 days a week??

On the whole mon/fri car build thing,,,,,,
Didn't the plants run 7 days a week??
Not necessarily. I don't know the shift schedules for all the plants but the Windsor plant still had weekends off in 2013 when this article was written, so I'd imagine that the old 'Friday - Monday' saying had merit even earlier on. Typical shift at Windsor Assembly

Typically, weekend downtime was used to perform maintenance, adjustments, upgrades and repairs that weren't severe enough to warrant shutting down the line during actual production.

@eldubb440 and​

@1 Wild R/T but you guys have no clue about what you are talking about​

So, we're all expressing our opinions on the OP topic. That's what they are... opinions ! Sorry to hear of your bad experience with a particular vehicle. But, you ( with how many posts ?? ) have the audacity to tell a couple of long-term, well-respected, KNOWLEDGABLE members here that they have no clue what they're talking about ?

So, we're all expressing our opinions on the OP topic. That's what they are... opinions ! Sorry to hear of your bad experience with a particular vehicle. But, you ( with how many posts ?? ) have the audacity to tell a couple of long-term, well-respected, KNOWLEDGABLE members here that they have no clue what they're talking about ?
LOL... I'd try to add something but I'm clueless.... :lol:

The fact I spent years working in Dealerships & as a factory rep didn't help gain any perspective either...

The biggest cause for what is called a lemon is flat rate
If a good mechanic is given the time to chase the cause not just the result the lemon would not exist in 90%
of the cases

The biggest cause for what is called a lemon is flat rate
If a good mechanic is given the time to chase the cause not just the result the lemon would not exist in 90%
of the cases
That certainly plays a roll... Dealerships have never placed much value in techs... And the manufacturers with their warranty times are a joke that techs don't laugh about...

The vehicle in question had/has an oil leak... If that can't be corrected then maybe the "technician" isn't qualified for the title.....

I wouldn't buy it. There is so much to go wrong on new cars as is, why start with one that has already proven it has things wrong?
For reference, I bought my AWD Hemi R/T in 2013 for $27k, ORDERED(not sitting on the lot) with no trade in and my own financing. Boy, inflation is a thing eh?
In case you haven;t looked at these newer cars:
There is an engine computer
A transmission computer
body control master computer
A computer for the brakes
a computer for the windows and locks
a computer for the buttons on the steering wheel
a computer in the center console for the shift mechanism
a computer for the climate stuff
a computer in the trunk to regulate the battery
a computer for hooking your phone to the radio
a computer for a radio(a giant touch screen)
a computer to control the headlights, yes, there are circuit boards inside/directly behind the headlight unit

All or most of these are routed through the touch screen radio. If any of them go bad, the car won't run at worst or at best will drain the battery while it is parked.
The 392 cars have something like 6 ground wires screwed onto the engine. And ground wires from the engine to the transmission. Don't see them? Well they are halfway down against the firewall. Might see them with a scope, good luck if one gets corrosion!

So when someone brings a car back, it could be the dealer can't find a recurring issue, or they can. And they also know it will require a 40% disassembly of the vehicle and replacement of multiple boards and harnesses to fix. So the dealer offers buy back instead of eating 120 hours of mechanic time and the reputation hit. Sometimes the car goes back to factory for the repair instead.

My ten year old computer on wheels has been the best winter(in WI!) car I have ever had(almost, full size bronco FTW) and has been mostly trouble free. But the last 12 months or so wierd stuff has happened, and fixed itself. I might sell the computer on wheels. I would not buy a new one. I would rather spend 20% of the cost of new on a 100% overhaul of a 20 year old pick up truck then 40-80K on a new vehicle.
The days of "running forever" are gone. Mechanically they can be built for a million miles. The electronics might last a million miles. But the electronics have an expiration date like most electronics do. So if you drive 20k miles a year or 2k, you will probably own the vehicle about the same amount of time before wierd things happen.

This car already had weird things happen. There are lots of cars out there. They make more every day and the dealers have so many they hide some in back lots to pretend there is a shortage. You will find the one you want.

Auto Transport Service
Back