• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yeah....right

Wow i've never been an accident with a car that had a airbag,all my newer vehicles have them, but I sure would like it to work if I was!

I guess if you bought your Nissan in Texas and moved to Montana a few years later you're SOL.

Guess you would be. On another note along the same lines, the last year I was in the car biz (2007) TOYOTA had recalled SEVEN TIMES as many cars as Mopar had.

Buy american, The job you save may be your own!! The jap **** is how this country got into the mess its in. They should charge an import fee equal to the import fees we pay to ship american iron overseas. The first mistake was the VW in the 50's, Shuld have never happened. I kind of look at it this way if you love there **** so much move over to there country and stay there. I sell american cars and collect them, no jap **** in my garage.

Guess you would be. On another note along the same lines, the last year I was in the car biz (2007) TOYOTA had recalled SEVEN TIMES as many cars as Mopar had.

I don't remember hearing about that. They're not trying to keep it quiet, are they?

The united states is limited to how many u.s. built cars we can export. That looks like it could be a problem , What do you think?? Does it look like there is a limit to how many imports are brought to this country?

Toyota has an absolute fit about having to post their recalls and TSB's to joe blow mechanic and the public. It's common sense for us as north americans (Canadian boy here eh!) to buy our own products and stop buying so much off shore stuff. It doesn't help that most "review authorities" are biased, and that the average consumer believes these guys. Case in point is my loyalty to our brand. From my wifes 90 Dodge shadow (240,000 miles and since sold) to my Dakota which has well over 140,000 miles and basically trouble free, the 2000 neon we just traded on the 08 Avenger...I must be awfully lucky with mopars I guess...I just haven't had any troubles other than normal maintenance issues. BTW, I missed about a dozen other older Dodges, Plymouths and Chryslers that I have owned or currently own, my point is that we as a consumer are led to believe imports are better. The domestic manufacturers have been guilty of some poor products and we hear about them. My brother in laws new Tacoma has been back to the dealer for 3 fairly major problems in less than a year from his purchase date, leaf springs, oil leaks and rattles...but do we hear of those complaints? I could go on...Yes, we need to invest in our own survival, lest no one will have money to buy anything! BTW, our Avenger is twice the car the Camry/Mazda 6 is for the money, I am fortunate/unfortunate enough to be able to drive these vehicles. I live by the mantra, Mopar or no car...just my 2 cents.
Time to go work on the Belvy...G'day

I like the new Avengers. I REALLY like the R/T version. Got LOOOOOOONG legs and I dig the two tone interior that's available on it.

I agree. We should buy our own products. But that also doesn't mean we should put up with them if they are crap. Also while on the same subject Chrysler's warranty payout had DROPPED 13 years in a row when I left the biz. Don't know about last year, but no other manufacturer can lay claim to the same 13 year drop.

Its been a great run for Chrysler and I believe thier products have greatly improved over the last decade. I can't pry my wife out of our R/T awd...oh well, I planned to get her her 'dream' car so I could play with mine...lol

My first car was a used 76 Aspen \6 4-speed, great car. Then bought a new 80 Omni DeTomaso which by 45,000 miles had trouble shifting, door that wouldn't lock, and had a cracked K-frame. I didn't buy Mopars again after that until 1992. Since then I have had no problems with the Spirit, Stratus, Breeze, or Ram I have owned. I would have a Caliber R/T for a driver except the dealers said it would take 10 months to get it, so ended up with a Pontiac Vibe AWD. It has some Toyota parts but at least was built in California and the profits went to GM and not Toyota. My work territory includes the Ohio River area where steel mills are shut down and the locals can't find good jobs BUT THEY ARE BUYING KIAS AND SUZUKIS! Makes no sense to me.

Bottom line about the Kia's and Suzuki's...dirt cheap for a new car. Just wait until the Chinese cars hit...even cheaper. I have been to China just this last year, labour is so cheap there...beyond what we understand...this equals an unfair competitive advantage for imports. The company I was there with exhibited at a major trade show and we required workers to set up our very large booth. We had 2 chinese men work all day, about 10 hours each for set up, and returned to us for disassembly & shipping and worked for an additional 8 hours ea. We were told to pay them US 7.00 per day as per the trade and conference centers rules. We gave them 30.00 US each and they just about had a heart attack. Our countries have to wake up and realize that we cannot continue to ship our raw materials from our shores...and buy them back in the form of vehicles furniture etc at prices cheaper than we can manufacture here.
We have a long road ahead of us I think...

Yeah, the Kias and Suzukis are dirt cheap for a new car, but they are crap. Not reliable, uncomfortable, high depreciation, won't last. Parts will probably not be available for very long. I looked at Yugos and Renault LeCars in the past - cheap price, but boy am I glad I didn't buy one. My wife was looking at getting a smaller car and thought the Chevy Aveo was cute, but it is a rebadged import and one of the worst buys on the market.

just my opinion here. i've been a parts guy at a large toyota dealership for about a year now after being at chrysler/jeep/dodge stores for 15 years. what i'm seeing is a difference in the customer. toyota customers realize that there IS value in maintaining their vehicles. they have their oil changed at the dealership, they perform their 30, 60 and 90k services, not because we scare them into it, or force it down their throats, but because they simply understand that a little maintainance will make their car last longer, and have a higher resale value. period.
it is also my opinion that the PERCEPTION by most consumers that japanese built cars are of much better quality is just that-PERCEPTION. i think that the domestics and the imports are pretty close when it comes to technology, assembly and quality. but not to the point where the imports can demand a much higher msrp. PERCEPTION again. Toyotas last longer-know why? because their owners don't piss and moan when they have to spend a little money to fix them! i can't tell you how many times a dodge ram owner went through the roof because he had to buy front axle u-joints or front wheel bearings- meanwhile the idiot is out all night plowing with it, making $$$$$-and then cries that he shoulda bought a chevy and his truck wouldn't need any repairs at all! WRONG. this is just one example. generally speaking, most new dodge owners that i encountered over the years could barely afford the car they bought, much less fix it when it broke, so they blame it on the car company, don't fix it, and it ends up in the junkyard with 100k on it. this is where the PERCEPTION of quality comes from.
as far as buying american, i don't drive an import. i have a pontiac, a ford, and three mopars. and i love my mopars. HOWEVER, as far as americans not buying american? this is a free enterprise system in which there is competition and only the strong survive. from the corner deli, to wal-mart. competition. ok, i go to bob's deli and buy a sub for 8 bucks. i could go to sub-way and buy the same sub for five bucks, but i don't beacause i've been told i have to support the local economy. but aren't i doing that at subway? the poor slob behind the counter lives locally and spends his money locally too, doesn't he? meanwhile afterwork i see mr. bob out on his friggen boat with a brand new yukon denali as a tow vehicle-am i keeping his buisness open or am i padding his ***?
same goes for the car market. i'm sorry, but it is the unions that have gotten us into this mess-not the consumers. you can't tell me that an unskilled laborer who runs an ELECTRIC WRENCH at an assembly plant in michigan deserves to make 35 to 75 dollars an hour! that is horseshit-thanks UAW! what can this guy do when he loses his job? hopefully something else to pay for his big house, boat, jet ski, sled-whatever.
a co-workers' family member works at a ford plant in michigan making 50 bucks an hour bolting seats into new f150's. since they cut production, he gets to go to work everyday and hang out in a room making his full pay on "stand-by", not actually working-just smoking and watching tv. when he and his buddies found out about possible lay-offs, the began to piss and put human **** under the seat covers as they were assembled. not to mention other areas of the vehicles. now thats PRIDE! just my opinion.

You might also mention (I believe this is correct) that the Imports REQUIRE YOU to replace certain items during their warranty period...I.E. timing belts etc. So IF they do what they're supposed to, they're already making repairs (albeit preventative maintenance) to their vehicles under warranty......and have the pleasure of paying for it. The domestics do a lot less of that. So while a timing belt may not break on an Import at 100,000 miles like it might on a Domestic, it isn't because it's a better product. It's because they've already replaced the part.

good point. in the past, we have had other import franchises with our dodge stores at the dealerships i have worked at-mitsubishi, isuzu, and kia. but i can say that toyota does not hold any "required" maintainance over their customers heads. the only time it may become an issue with concern to warranty is in an extreme case of neglect or abuse-you know, like a 10k mile oil change interval! and it happens more than you'd think. however it does become a factor when a defect surfaces after the vehicle is out of the parameters of the warranty. the service manager/zone rep will be more inclined to goodwill an otherwise out of warranty repair for someone who has done their regular maintainance at the dealership.
isuzu and mitsubishi used to brutal with required maintainance. and ironically enough, i seem to remember around 03 or 04, daimlerchrysler including REQUIRED MAINTAINANCE schedules in the glovebox of every new car. i recall the zone rep informing all the service managers at one particular guild meeting, that they were to inform the customer at the time of delivery that their warranty would be voided if their maintainance guidelines were not followed, and no goodwill repairs could be perfomed at chrysler's expense. this in turn resulted with the zone office in syracuse being inundated with calls from angry owners. they soon after became very lax on their own policy and continued to warranty work as they had been.

The united states is limited to how many u.s. built cars we can export. That looks like it could be a problem , What do you think?? Does it look like there is a limit to how many imports are brought to this country?

And to think I was gonna buy a new Challenger next week. But since it's a import, I'll have to re-think my decision and buy a Mustang.

Good point about maintenance issues, its a simple fact that if a vehicle is maintained, it will last! I am living proof I guess. I know people that have never changed their oil...hard to believe but true! Its the 'its a new car it doesn't need anything mentality' that kills alot of vehicles prematurely. Then there is the lease return syndrome, people buying 2 year old cars that have been returned after being ridden like a rented mule and having one foot in the grave. Not too many imports fall into this category.

The union issue is a touchy one, while necessary has overstepped the 'fair days pay for a fair days work' in many areas. But how is it as the big three have abandoned factories in North America and headed south over the Mexican border in favor of the cheaper labour force? And that Toyota and other offshore companies have moved into them, hired American workers, produced their vehicles and turn a profit...yikes! Management has alot to do with this as well!

BTW Mike Dodge buy the Challenger, keep the faith, she's a beauty eh!
As I said before, they have a long way to go to fix our auto industries woes...

In all honesty, I'm not in the market for a Challenger or Mustang. Just not in the card finance wise. Just always thought it was funny a car with a engine from mexico, trans and rear from Germany and built in Canada can be considered an "american" car..

Now a Caliber SRT.. hmmm :)

Auto Transport Service
Back