• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cars, trucks and SUVs that will become collectible?

SteveSS

Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
I was reading a lengthy article in the new Hagerty Driver's Club magazine. It's a fantastic mag with very little advertising because I guess the whole thing is advertising for Hagerty in one way or another. The article logged a guy and his dog on a backroads trip on the WABDR Washington Backcountry Discovery Route. He used a first-gen Xterra a vehicle he noted, "There's something to be said for owning a vehicle you love but don't care about." There's a lot of humor in the article and some of it is pointed at the Nissan.

In one paragraph he talked about how the Land Cruisers, 4 Runners, Monteros, XJs, and the more vintage-y stuff like Land Rovers and old Broncos have shot up in price but not the Xterras. We bought my daughter a yellow one when she was a teen and she loved it until something went wrong mechanically and we just dumped it.

It seems these SUVs are due for a resurgence. One of my favorite pastimes is thinking up vehicles that are on the edge of appreciating in price. Comments or thoughts on this or others that might make a jump upward?

xterra_after2.jpg

Collectible is relative......relative to how much storage space you have. :rolleyes:

After that it just becomes junk in most people's eyes.

The Toyota Land Cruiser will always hold good solid value - provided the vehicle is well maintained and looked after.

Trucks?
MAYBE, but I doubt it, the 97-2003 F series. I doubt it though. Those were really dependable trucks until they weren't, and then you couldn't fix them. Kinda damps the whole collectible thing. Anything older is already pricey.

Chevy? Yeah, somewhere in the country Chebby will always be a collectible for a truck. I think in particular the 99-2006 Silverado's will climb. Partly because they are easy to fix, partly because they had an enduring, attractive design, and partly because you could get an 8.1L with an Allison transmission...(I may be biased on the last part)

Dodge? Well..... Despite them being everywhere and then some, especially compared to their direct competition, 2nd gen Dodge has not escalated in price. Talk about easy to fix. Only the Cummins trucks have value. You can find a 5.9 Magnum powered club cab half ton, even with the Off Road package, with decent miles for CHEAP. 80's Dodge sorta climbed, but people really aren't super interested. Who knows about 3rd gen. Unless it is an SRT10. Then it is 70 grand, or beat to piss lol.

SUV or smaller trucks?
Bronco flew away ten years ago. K5 followed. Ramcharger.... whats a Ramcharger? You mean Charger? But those have been brought to light some too now that a few have been fixed up. The 2 door Tahoe's of the 90's are hit and miss, you can find a great deal on them sometimes. These too will climb in the next short while, they don;t make and probably can't make that type of truck anymore.
Smaller SUV? The boxy style S10 and BroncoII and the like will be worth some money. 90's exploders and PITA to work on S10's will not. Dakota's apparently are the best kept secret in the whole country. DON'T TELL ANYONE. Durango....well, I dunno. The first ones were nice, the later ones have ruined the reputation and the newest ones are computers so I don't know if people will look past the stigma.

I have noticed the tiny, itty bitty stuff like Suzuki's or Geo(chevy) trackers are getting a following lately. I almost bought one of those late 90's Suzuki's, but decided I had enough stuff. Something about me sitting in there being able to reach to the rocker panel outside the car while remaining seated was hilarious, but parts are hard to find and I have enough toys. But they sell quick when they come up and prices are rising on them. I had looked at an X-90 if anyone wants to google it. Yes, they made 4WD ones, thats what I was looking at. The Samurai's are going up in price fast for nice ones.

Oh for cars I think Fiero's are going to climb if people take notice. There is a lot you can swap into them that didn't exist when they were newish. Like a blown 3800 out of a late 90's Buick Regal. Takes a little effort but not really rocket science to swap any of the W body car's V6 power into one.
I think turbo Dodge from that era is on it's way up. If you missed the Conquest boat, too late now. I think Stealth is next on deck with the Daytona. Turbo Stealth in good shape is already climbing fast. Too bad clueless ricer kids bought them when they were cheap and ruined a lot of them.

Collectible:
- something worth collecting; of interest to a collector.
- an item valued and sought by collectors.

My best guesses, but everything is a gamble:
TRUCKS
- Early generation Cadillac Escalade pickup trucks.
- Dodge Ramcharger 4x4, but good luck in finding one that hasn't been thrashed and trashed.
- Dodge Dakota as already mentioned.

CARS, but the attitude of collectors will have to change first. :eek:
- 1981 to 1983 Imperial
- Shelby Chargers
- Daytona Turbo Z
- 1987 Porsche 924S
- 1979 Chrysler 300. I'm still waiting. :realcrazy:

Auto Transport Service
Back