• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet another header question... Dougs D451 on a 383

Billy T.

Local time
6:54 AM
Reaction score
Fellas,

I purchased a set of Dougs D451 headers for my '70 roadrunner with a 383 and manual transmission. After sifting through the past posts on the site concerning header clearance and starters, I purchased a Powermaster p/n 9613 mini starter and thought all would be fine. Wrong. The header contacts the starter. I went ahead and broke out the ball peen to massage the tube making contact but am afraid I'll end up flattening out the tube if I keep hammering until it fits.
My question is with the Dougs d451 headers, what starter should I have to ensure there is no contact
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hmm not sure what brand starter mine is but the cable post are on the top of mine. I'm sure someone might have a better idea or possibly give Dougs headers a call and ask what they know works. Mines a 440 with 2" primary Doug headers and I didn't have to do anything to the headers.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hmm not sure what brand starter mine is but the cable post are on the top of mine. I'm sure someone might have a better idea or possibly give Dougs headers a call and ask what they know works. Mines a 440 with 2" primary Doug headers and I didn't have to do anything to the headers.

View attachment 343136 View attachment 343137 View attachment 343138
Yes, that starter looks quite smaller than the one I currently have. You have it set up correctly for sure it seems. A lot more room than my current set up. I have thought about calling Dougs but just haven't acted on that yet, wanted to see what information the forum would give first.
Thanks for the input.

Auto Transport Service
Back