• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You know we don't really say Y'all.

There's a cashier here at Walmart that speaks Cajun. He can be hard to understand sometimes.

I have a good HVAC guy that's originally from Tennessee. I tease him that he has lived in Reno for over 10 years and the accent hasn't changed.

When I heard myself on a recording I marvel at how much I still sound like Western Pennsylvania, with South Carolina mixed in.

Speaking of Cajuns, when I moved to south Louisiana in 2003, I got pulled over in Billy's 5.0 Mustang not thirty seconds after leaving Napa and pulling out onto the well lit 4-lane by a trooper. I'd been in town for only three days and everything was new to me.

He had to ask me the same question SEVEN TIMES.

"Warrrrr ye commmmnn thrummm?"

I blinked at him for a couple seconds trying to decipher it in my head.

Failing miserably, I said "I'm sorry sir. I just moved here from California and I have no idea what you're saying." Back and forth we went with his unintelligible mumbling and my resulting confusion.

He finally slowed down to half speed and actually enunciated, though it was obviously painful for him to do so. "Where are you coming from?"

"OH! I just came from the parts store right there," (gesturing across the highway a couple blocks down).

By the time it was over we were both laughing. "Turn yer lights on."'

Grew up in Northern California but while in Alabama for a few years I noticed a lot of people use the word “fixin”. I’m fixin’ to head down to the Walmart. I’m fixin to go to sleep, see ya’ll later.

Born in TN, grew up in Atlanta. HEAVY southern accent acquired....
Family moved to the DC area when I was 15. Caught pure hell for the accent in that
snob-infested hellhole of a high school. Got rid of the accent pronto, lest I be banished...

Moved down to TN in the mid 90's as a 30-something adult...
"Yain't frum roun heah, arya?"
Yeah. Got that a lot. Still do sometimes...
Now I'm a man without a country. Folks from old days up north comment on my southern
accent. Folks around here say I "talk yankee".

I don't write anything like I speak, either. Just because I'm cautious with my spelling, syntax
and grammar when writing doesn't mean I speak that way. Pretty lazy talker, really.
Depends on who I'm talking to - outside the area, I'm very proper with my diction.
With folks around here, I subconsciously drop into my full drawl without even realizing it. :)
As I get agitated or excited, my diction and pronunciation "tightens up" markedly still, though.

Bless yer heart is another way of saying your crazy. As in little Johnny is about to stick a fork in the receptacle,ah bless his heart!

If you’ve never heard a Boston accent and don’t mind the words **** and fu%#*n... this video gives you the idea and is comical.

I once had a supervisor who was from Bahstun.
Soda was tonic.
And he couldn't say, "bottle". It was "bah-oh".
And you pahked your cah in the gararge.

My dad always says that and he grew up in Wyoming.
so does mine he was born here in Calif.
lived here his whole life

I give him **** for it occasionally too

sometimes I think it's his dentures, mumble mouth
but he's done it as long as I can remember

Last edited:
Then you have ebonics that is just wrong no matter where you live. I was asked one time "let me axe yo bout yo finance?" I said what was the question? He rephrased it and it was supposed to mean how much do I make an hour???? Lol.

Had a black chick working in my crew once who, when asked if she had completed a task, answered, " I be done did that."

Sometimes I'll tune into the radio stations not that far from me in Washington State, and I'll hear differences. Like ruff instead of roof.

Auto Transport Service
Back