• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your opinion on Patina?

JMO. i like the onisty of this. on a wagon its fitting. thay spent there lives getting beat on.. family vacation kids to the park and such. but i do like the beater look if its real.
don't get me wrong ... i dig sweet shinny hemi cuda. but like alot of the cars in this thing. thay look good just as thay are. maby its my age creeping up on me. but the plane jane dog dish steel wheels
original paint (or whats left) ruff around the edges is way cooler. on the other hand... the rusty E body ... ya thats to much. it need to be delt with

View attachment 1557043

View attachment 1557044

View attachment 1557045
A few years ago a local Mopar guy had a 62 wagon for parts. I could have gotten the whole complete car minus engine and trans for $700. Not enough was compatible with my wagon so I passed. The guy used to drag race it with a 413. Wish I would have gotten it.

Agree 100%. My car is in its 1978 condition, living the first 6 years of its life as a daily driver. Being driven less and less every year, in 1978 somebody stole the battery out of it, and to quote the original owner….”I knew they were coming back for my Tri-Power, so I just pushed it in the garage and never drove it again”. Fast forward to 2018 and I get the car, and with the intention of returning it to the road just as it left it, I embarked on a “preservation” to do as much as possible to make it safe and roadworthy, but as little as possible to maintain its as found condition.

I’ve done restorations on cars, and I’m pretty tired of the many hours and dollars it takes to make a car new again, but a preservation was infinetely more difficult to achieve. Why? Because it’s easy to buy new parts and replace old parts, but it goes against the grain of thought to buy patina correct parts and put them on. It needed a mirror, I wanted a crappy one, slightly better than the original. An emblem was broken and a tooth missing out of the grille because his buddy backed into it with the transom of his boat. The emblem has been changed, the tooth and dent in the trim will remain.

In the end, this is the most fun I’ve had with any Mopar, and with the original owners help and history, I’m able to keep the integrity of the car just as I want it. Bumps, bruises, and rust, it’s just an honest daily driven car, as it has been it’s whole life. With a long slumber I between.

View attachment 1551551

View attachment 1551552

View attachment 1551553

View attachment 1551554

View attachment 1551555

View attachment 1551556

View attachment 1551557

View attachment 1551558
love it ....

Great car, cosgig. I have a similar outlook with my '66. I find it to be an interesting car, and I have no intentions of restoring. Partially because it's unique the way it is, and partially because I'm not going to spend the fortune it would take to restore it - especially with me closing in on retirement. Regardless, it's fun to drive the way it is. Here are a few pics of it.

View attachment 1551689

View attachment 1551684

View attachment 1551692

View attachment 1551696

View attachment 1551697
don't change a thing.

I like patina and was torn on deciding what to do with my 62 seeing it had some character, even started on cleaning up areas on the inside of the car..but as much as I liked the idea of keeping the car as a survivor, the restoration journey is what I enjoy. With that said I have started stripping the exterior.
View attachment 1553220
View attachment 1553221
View attachment 1553222
One can only imagine the 70's street freak you are about to create!
Go with your vision, you already know what it is.

POMONAMISSEL…this is SO right!

B1E3C34C-ADF9-46BB-9029-37E0AB645FD2.jpeg

yes it's to bad some old lady did this to my passenger side and this is after a repair of the fender on seen of the wreck , so i could get my spare on . she's still got that hot hp 383 at her heart . ''orangey'' as i call her . she's alittle beast , lol .

DSC00899.JPG

DSC00842.JPG

DSC00844.JPG

DSC00845.JPG

DSC00847.JPG

DSC00848.JPG

DSC00849.JPG

DSC09262.JPG

DSC09263.JPG

DSC07548.JPG

when i first got her i did changed to my vintage american racing equip torq thrusts , here shows my oem rear bumper that a young chick ran into it and bent it up .

Scan_20181124.png

Scan_20181124.jpg

How does one MISS (or hit) an – orange – truck? Gotta love those pushbuttons (ok I’m a fan having those in my ride). In all my years I’ve only seen them in a Dodge pickup in the flesh once. Ok, not sure of the year of your truck, so I could be off, but thought those were only around in ’57 or ’58?

my 57 d100 , my 60 d100 , my 61 d200 , and my 64 d100 , my 67 d100 , my 69 d200 crew , my 70 d300 rb , my 71 d400 , my 71 d200 . the fifties are a different animal .

DSC08001.JPG

DSC04066.JPG

DSC03684.JPG

DSC06661.JPG

DSC03873.JPG

DSC07920.JPG

DSC01151.JPG

69220023.jpg

DSC02621.JPG

I love patina, but it has to be all metal with not too many holes. If it's thick cracking paint and bondo, it looks like crap.

Last edited:
Where I live you don't buy a swepty that's been painted. They rusted like a Ford. I tried building a couple of them and then just went to Az. and picked this one up. It's just so much easier.

DSC02013.JPG

Or what I did was get salt-free body parts (bed) and re-pops fenders and bumper to fix-up my ’05 Dakota. Doors were still repairable to give me a couple more years with those. This was after finding out how much trucks cost including used ones w/o near the options mine has. Buy a used one for $35k+ with 60k on it, or fix up mine having 85k? Semi-resto cost - $4,300. Sad part? Since the fix, some kid rear-ended it causing $4,200 damage and the body shop did a decent job, not great. Grrr.

Dak resto 2.jpg

Dak resto 5.jpg

Dak resto 9.jpg

Dak resto 15.jpg

I have never been into Patina either. I can't think of any car I've seen with Patina that wouldn't look better with fresh paint but I don't have a problem with others thinking otherwise either. To each his own.

Two different 1961 Furies found at two different locations.
Oddly enough very similar pics taken as I found them.
The patina kinda works on these cars.
I will make one out of the 2

IMG_8484.jpeg

IMG_8485.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back