• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your opinion on Patina?

That could have been a field mate to my “ Jigsaw” Charger.

88E63001-DF42-4D5C-802B-9269EFD5A7E5.jpeg

Rain? Pffft…. Get in and drive it like any other car. Paved road turns to gravel? Pffft. So what ?? Sounds like fun.

Wasn't this car featured in Mopar Action magazine? Something about the owner trading a Harley Davidson for it?
It was in Muscle Car Review 6 or 7 years ago, but there's no Harley in it's history.

I like my patina

Painted cars causes stress.
DF70C90E-1DBD-4457-A16D-B73E4D586A3A.jpeg
H

Last edited:
I like my patina
I like your patina too, because your car truly has "patina". But many cars go beyond what I consider patina into just plain rusty and beat up.

So THIS is an example of cool patina
1699299409234.png

This, in my opinion, is NOT patina. It is just plain 'ol rusty and beat up. Below is not my cup of tea...
1699299612847.png

I'm not knocking those who have cars like the Cuda above, but I'm personally not a fan and wouldn't want one for myself.

Not into it,paint your damn car! I have a couple driver Chargers that I painted with satin paint, otherwise known as tinted primer. I enjoy them more than the pristine show cars,you can lean on the fender and even put your beer on them,and a nick or stone chip isn't devastating!

20230827_111427.jpg

20171102_074610.jpg

Last edited:
I have no problem with patina. I have a problem with someone selling a car for BIG money and thinking the car is done when it still needs THOUSANDS of dollars to finish to someone else's taste, I guess pick another car to buy if you don't like it. Creative juices are great when building a Ratrod, and bare metal can look very nice. It's a cop-out in most case to save a ton of money and convince me it's worth more because of it. Call it what you want, it's a great way to drive a great car and save a ton of money. At the end of the day, it's always about the money........... My car was originally white when it was rebuilt in 2006 and in 2016 it was COMPLETELY taken apart to paint it Ruby Red, ( 2009-2012 Subaru Ruby Red). That's a lot of time and money. When I was growing up, the drivetrain was the most expensive part and paint was cheaper, it's done a major flip-flop and is out of control in my opinion. The whole hobby is out of control for the average person unless he bought his car in the eighties, which a lot of people have done or can turn **** into apple butter. It is, what it is........

Some say this car is over the top, some gag. Hideous has come up a couple times.
personally I like it. Everything has been rebuilt. I drive it.
I really don't like fake patina and really really don't like clear coat on patina. Or I guess I'd never do it. But to each thier own.

20230929_110430.jpg

I’ve read and agree with members having posted ‘You build your car the way YOU want it’ period. Some are going to like it and others not. As well, to those having restored their rides to the max, some are going to like it and some won’t. Some, as I did, put more cash into restoring their cars then they’d be able to sell them for. Didn’t build mine to sell it or look for kudo’s, other than from me.

The old Rick Nelson tune ‘Garden Party’ has a lyric “…you can’t please everyone so you got to please yourself".
MO, words to live by.

I’ve read and agree with members having posted ‘You build your car the way YOU want it’ period. Some are going to like it and others not. As well, to those having restored their rides to the max, some are going to like it and some won’t. Some, as I did, put more cash into restoring their cars then they’d be able to sell them for. Didn’t build mine to sell it or look for kudo’s, other than from me.

The old Rick Nelson tune ‘Garden Party’ has a lyric “…you can’t please everyone so you got to please yourself".
MO, words to live by.
We just happened to go out for pizza last night at Pizza Ed in Guntersville. We sat no more than 20 feet from the spot where he sang his last song.

Last edited:
Was a Rick Nelson fan and remember the shock hearing of his demise on New Year's Eve '85 at the age of 45. If I'm not mistaken, his last act is on video? Interesting life he had, becoming not so envious after reading about him growing up on a weekly TV show..

My thought is to each their own. I have shiny cars but my favorite is my J code GTX. It's on old street racer that was missing it's hemi when we got it. We left it the way we found it, including the wheels and put a new drivetrain in it. I drive the snot out of it and don't have to worry about a rock chip or rubber on the quarters.

Current rf4 (2).jpg
Current lw3 (2).jpg
Current r6 (2).jpg
KIMG2757 (2).JPG

1699399592253.png

We were sitting to the right of the bassist here at his last performance. The wall and rafters are still basically the same as 38 years ago.

at his last performance
WOW. Had to be quite the shock for you all hearing of his death hours after you saw him performing. It’s weird as a close buddy of mine died suddenly at age 50 after having a few brews with him just 48 hours before. Got a phone call from a mutual friend asking “You hear about Ralph?” I say what’s with Ralph and he says “He’s dead.” Just refused to believe it was possible, like all my blood drained to my feet and stayed there. Took me a while to let it set in..

I like patina and was torn on deciding what to do with my 62 seeing it had some character, even started on cleaning up areas on the inside of the car..but as much as I liked the idea of keeping the car as a survivor, the restoration journey is what I enjoy. With that said I have started stripping the exterior.
IMG_4349.jpeg

IMG_4353.jpeg

IMG_4352.jpeg

WOW. Had to be quite the shock for you all hearing of his death hours after you saw him performing. It’s weird as a close buddy of mine died suddenly at age 50 after having a few brews with him just 48 hours before. Got a phone call from a mutual friend asking “You hear about Ralph?” I say what’s with Ralph and he says “He’s dead.” Just refused to believe it was possible, like all my blood drained to my feet and stayed there. Took me a while to let it set in..
Let me clarify...we were sitting to the side of where the bassist is in the picture. We were there last night, not 1985. It still looks the same as it did in the 80's. We stop in every few months.

My thought is to each their own. I have shiny cars but my favorite is my J code GTX. It's on old street racer that was missing it's hemi when we got it. We left it the way we found it, including the wheels and put a new drivetrain in it. I drive the snot out of it and don't have to worry about a rock chip or rubber on the quarters.

View attachment 1553175View attachment 1553181View attachment 1553182View attachment 1553183
I was waiting for this, your GTX is awesome! :thumbsup:

"Hey, my car needs body work and paint. But I'm going to call it patina and charge you more, not less."
I don't know anybody that would be that stupid when buying a car. It is a large hobby, though.

Auto Transport Service
Back