• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

your opinion please - just received my restored headlight motor

It was my 1st piece ever getting restored. A lot of people said call Chris aka headlightman so I called and I assumed that it would be restored. Its my fault

If the goal were just to have a functional unit, that appearance wouldn’t matter.
I truly mean no offense but better communication would have averted this. It may have seemed obvious to the OP but it seems that we must spell out our expectations to ensure that both parties understand each other.

When your core arrived & he saw what he had to work with he should have contacted you... Honestly your core was beyond restoring without either extra $$$ for parts he might have in his stash or time to attempt to resurrect your parts...

I have seen posts on different sites for many years regarding headlightmotor man. This is the first negative one I have seen.
Did you the OP contact him about your concerns before posting on the site?

The restorer should have clarified to the client that the end result would be rebuilt and fully functional but ugly. If indeed it has been rebuilt.

Last edited:
I have seen posts on different sites for many years regarding headlightmotor man. This is the first negative one I have seen.
Did you the OP contact him about your concerns before posting on the site?
No I didnt because I didnt know what to do. I posted without saying his name to see what some members would say. I was told by a couple members that my barrel was badly pitted and it wasnt his fault. To my surprise Topher-Headlight Man called me today and said he would replace my barrel for me for free.

I want to thank Kerndog,1 WILD RT and Charge70 for offering to help me out. Thanks guys it really was nice of you all.

Well, you are NOT a jerk and clearly are an upstanding member so YOU get treated better.

No I didnt because I didnt know what to do. I posted without saying his name to see what some members would say. I was told by a couple members that my barrel was badly pitted and it wasnt his fault. To my surprise Topher-Headlight Man called me today and said he would replace my barrel for me for free.
i reached out to him after i saw this yesterday to let him know you were dissatisfied . I know his work and he is a man of his word . He is busy as hell though.

No! It’s not your fault!!!! When I sent my stuff years ago to Jules Da Wiperman and also Stephan they reached out to me before any work was done and gave me a good run down what exactly they were going to have to do to rebuild my stuff. They told me before I sent my stuff to them that if my barrels weren’t any good(rusted, pitted) that they had good cores they could use if mine were too bad. When they reached out to me they confirmed my barrels were good. Just because someone is busy is no excuse to turn out a crappy product. Do NOT blame yourself!!!

Last edited:
My experience with these type motors and wiper motors is the rebuilder will tell you what he can do. A poor core will never be that great when done. Again the rebuilder should of discussed this with you before he started. I do not think that knob can be sanded out to be smooth. The barrel is hard to tell. For sure it does not look good.

mnewell337@gmai What did I post that someone should disagree on?​

Met Topher last night,he stopped in town to grab my headlight motor. Really nice guy wished we could of talked more but he was driving home from vacation. Will post pics when I get it back.

I don't even ask about Red X's anymore... too easy to hit scrolling on a phone and the "hitter" generally doesn't even realize they hit it.

I’m a “hitter” lol.

I follow these posts and fantasize about what it would be like to have a car where the appearance of a headlight motor mattered.

I’m a “hitter” lol.

I follow these posts and fantasize about what it would be like to have a car where the appearance of a headlight motor mattered.
It will be the best looking part on the car.:lol: I cant afford a show car. I will have to paint it myself.

I’m a “hitter” lol.

I fantasize about nekkid wimmin.....

Auto Transport Service
Back