• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

zddp oil

cwhubb

Local time
9:37 AM
Reaction score
Just a heads up...I found valvoline single 40 weight zddp racing oil at NAPA for $4.59 a quart, thats cheaper than multi weights out my way. They also have 20w-50 zddp valvoline same price.

How many PPM of zddp is it?

Some info I found... We are not able to join the forums, but we can give you the answer you need, or maybe would like to add to the forum. Our VR1 Racing Oil is NOT just an "ordinary new car street oil" as listed. Our Valvoline VR1 Racing Oils can be used in street applications, but still contains the high amount of ZDDP (Zinc and Phosphorus). This information can be found on our Valvoline.com website, under the section where it lists the Racing Oils. We have also added the product information sheet for both the VR1 and the "Not Street Legal" Racing oils. As you will see, Valvoline still contains 1200 ppm Zinc content in our regular conventional VR1. It does carry the API Service "SM" rating, but this oil was not made to change for emission standards due to it not being a "ordinary street car oil." This information clearly states the amount of both the Zinc and Phosphorus levels in the oils. The main difference between the the "Not Street Legal" racing oil, or commonly known as Conventional and Synthetic Racing oils, and the VR1 is the Calcium content. Calcium levels are higher in the NSL oils, compared to the VR1, and the NSL oil is only recommended for 500 mile oil changes, while the VR1 is a 3 month/3,000 mile oil.
Valvoline stands behind the flat-tappet and more aggressive type cam applications 100% with our Valvoline VR1 and NSL Racing oils. The proof is in our product information sheets, which are online for the viewing as well.

Here are the product information sheets with test results for all of VR1, Not Street Legal conventional, and Not Street Legal Synthetic.

Thank you,

Valvoline

- - - Updated - - -

Adding to what we stated earlier, we have read throughout the forum. We see a lot of references to the API Service "SM" rating, being the main cause for catalytic converter damage. SM is basically just a gasoline rating. The S stands for Spark ignition, which refers to the ignition for gasoline type vehicles. When an oil has an SM rating, that just plainly means that the oil past the specific API (American Petroleum Institute) test requirements to obtain this specification. It has nothing to do with catalytic converters. The rating that stands out on conventional motor oils, (Premium conventional, Durablend, & Synpower) is the GF-3 and GF-4 ratings. These are energy conserving ratings that are necessary because of the Environmental Protection Agency mandating federal standards to further reduce emissions, beginning with '05 vehicles. These are the ratings that make the oil safe for catalyst effectiveness, and these ratings are not found on the VR1 Racing Oils due the ZDDP additive content, not API Service "SM."

Hope this helps,

Valvoline

Last edited:
just to be clear, I dont work for valvoline, I stumbled across the oil in a napa store and dug up this info to confirm the zddp levels, and clear up the confusion about the api sm stamp, I am glad I found an affordable oil.
p.s it's available in a 60 single weight too

- - - Updated - - -

mr Belvedere... love the name... "serving peoples own asses to them selves since 1965".

just to be clear, I dont work for valvoline, I stumbled across the oil in a napa store and dug up this info to confirm the zddp levels, and clear up the confusion about the api sm stamp, I am glad I found an affordable oil.
p.s it's available in a 60 single weight too

- - - Updated - - -

mr Belvedere... love the name... "serving peoples own asses to them selves since 1965".

My mistake. Still a great info! Thanks.
I served someone in a rice burner their *** today as a matter of fact. The silly boy!

I use VR1 in the Camaro. I have since the rebuild

you guys are welcome for the info, thats what's so great about FBBO, I have learned a ton of things you can't learn in a school

Auto Transport Service
Back