• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zeeker heads - dropped valve seat

1970lime

Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
Just bought one more 440 that i got cheep because it need some work. It has forged and balanced internals, 030 overbore, Comp solid roller, Zeeker heads, Zeeker roller rockers.

My plan is rebuilding engine and dyno it before replacing the 440 that's in my Road Runner.

Seller told me it had been sitting for 13 years, and had an dropped exhaust valve seat on cylinder 5.

When i pulled of the heads today, i saw that piston 5 had been damaged. Can this piston be reused if it looks good on the backside?

Daniel

Exh.valve 5_1.jpg Exh.valve 5_2.jpg Exh.valve 5_3.jpg Piston 5_1.jpg Piston 5_2.jpg Piston 5_3.jpg Piston 5_4.jpg Zeeker.jpg

That piston doesn't look too bad. I'd pull it check the connecting rod, clean it up and use it. 440'

Measure twice rebuild once. Complete disassembly check everything.
i would smooth the sharp edges and use it if it looks good on the other side. I must say those pistons look out of place considering Zeeer heads and roller cam.

i would smooth the sharp edges and use it if it looks good on the other side. I must say those pistons look out of place considering Zeeer heads and roller cam.

Thanks for the input! I think the top end of engine was added at a later point...

The valvetrain geometry also need attention.

What type of piston would you recommend?

Just bought one more 440 that i got cheep because it need some work. It has forged and balanced internals, 030 overbore, Comp solid roller, Zeeker heads, Zeeker roller rockers.

My plan is rebuilding engine and dyno it before replacing the 440 that's in my Road Runner.

Seller told me it had been sitting for 13 years, and had an dropped exhaust valve seat on cylinder 5.

When i pulled of the heads today, i saw that piston 5 had been damaged. Can this piston be reused if it looks good on the backside?

Daniel

View attachment 1215298 View attachment 1215299 View attachment 1215300 View attachment 1215301

View attachment 1215302 View attachment 1215303

View attachment 1215304 View attachment 1215305

Clean it carefully without marking it up and look for very fine cracks....if none use it....in mine a valve got stuck and broke a valve, cracked the piston and buggered the seat....you got lucky hopefully. Don't forget if you are going to use that piston smooth out the edges and remove any burrs around the dent to remove any possible hot spots.

I must say those pistons look out of place considering Zeeer heads and roller cam.

I agree.
I’d be surprised if the radial clearance for the valves was adequate.
I’d be clay checking for that before I went too far.

Roller lifters are installed backwards too.
On a BB, link bars towards the center.

I’d also check that damaged piston to see if the skirt has collapsed at all....... as well as making sure the rod is straight.

And those pistons are quite a bit heavier than what you can buy these days. To me they look like Six Pack replacements, I forget for sure but over 1000 grams with pins I think.

The Zeeker head has been welded and repaired.

I disassembled the engine and inspected everything. Number 5 piston and rod didn’t have damage, beside valve seat-mark, witch I filed and smoothed out.

Bearings didn’t have much wear, but I replaced rod and crank bearings anyway. I deglazed cylinder walls, cleaned out the block and installed new plugs.

The engine is now almost back together. It had an aggressive Erson solid roller in it, but I replaced it with a little milder hydraulic roller. (yes, I know some of you don’t like hydraulic rollers)

I also know some of you would swap out the heavy Six-pack pistons, but I chose to re-install them since rings and piston were in good shape.

Fixed.jpg

Piston 5.jpg

Glad you’re getting it back together.

If that head isn’t installed yet....... can you snap a pic of the bottom of the head showing all 4 chambers?

Sort of like:
F1DEE708-CC53-4DA5-A00C-0274D1F416F4.png

Thanks for that.

In the previous pic of the repaired chamber, the curve of the chamber wall in the area near the exhaust valve looked quite a bit different than the one next to it(#3), so I just wanted to get another look at it.
It appears as though the “lefts” and “rights” are a bit different in that area.

What size valves are in those heads?
CD708740-E912-455A-A8C9-0293D22D196D.png
46576638-CF7F-4164-A0BC-22D016BDB976.png

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

In the previous pic of the repaired chamber, the curve of the chamber wall in the area near the exhaust valve looked quite a bit different than the one next to it(#3), so I just wanted to get another look at it.
It appears as though the “lefts” and “rights” are a bit different in that area.

What size valves are in those heads?
View attachment 1304125View attachment 1304126
They are 2,19 x 1,81"

Auto Transport Service
Back