• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

While Larry was up last weekend for the Nats he gave me a hand measuring and cutting the legs for my bridge so I could finally get going on the bridge...... then the ball got rollin. My Dad and brother both helped get the beams set and tacked, from there it was hours of burning 7018 in the blistering hot sun:eek:. I'll be adding a center beam as well but need to weld 4 drops together to get enough materials.

Change in plans.. I've decided to build the deck out of 3X6 White Oak, it does great outdoors, is super strong and best of all I can get it for $.30 a ft... Unfortunately since I was planning on using treated I missed my opportunity to get White Oak, we won't be cutting it again for a month so it looks like I've got plenty of time to paint.

View attachment 502329 View attachment 502330
This the coolest feature of the building!

This the coolest feature of the building!
The rock was the biggest reason for adding the second floor, hard to pass up a floor that can be so easily accessed.

I can remember when I was a kid riding our dirt bikes across the bridge into the old barn that was here only the barn was only 2ft away and the bridge was all wood built by us kids. Funny how the only things that have changed are the size of our toys lol.

No, no, no . . . it wasn't my fault . . . really ? ! ?

Dang, get Devin started and make sure you get out of his way , he's moving along with that project at light speed !

Looks awesome . . .

Your visits seam to always kick another project into gear and once started it's not hard to knock them out. I was very happy with how well it fell together with everything coming out square with good fits. This week has turned out to be a miserably hot and humid week so no welding for me, maybe late nights over the weekend? So when are you going to kick the addition into gear for me LMAO.... I'm intentionally putting it off until Sept-Oct... to damn hot!

The wife asked what it would take to finish the addition side of the garage because she's sick of looking at it, maybe she's going to give in lol.

Your visits seam to always kick another project into gear and once started it's not hard to knock them out. I was very happy with how well it fell together with everything coming out square with good fits. This week has turned out to be a miserably hot and humid week so no welding for me, maybe late nights over the weekend? So when are you going to kick the addition into gear for me LMAO.... I'm intentionally putting it off until Sept-Oct... to damn hot!

The wife asked what it would take to finish the addition side of the garage because she's sick of looking at it, maybe she's going to give in lol.
Sounds like another road trip and weekend visit . . . lmao . . . we get some work DONE !

Count me in!
Tell you what, I'll get things ready for framing as long as you can figure out a way to get that motor in the back of your SUV? Knock out the frame and your motor in one visit:thumbsup:.

Do you have any friends with a small trailer or a pickup you could borrow?

Tell you what, I'll get things ready for framing as long as you can figure out a way to get that motor in the back of your SUV? Knock out the frame and your motor in one visit:thumbsup:.

Do you have any friends with a small trailer or a pickup you could borrow?

Hrmmmmmm..... That may sound like a plan. I'm positive I could just shove it in the back on a piece of plywood and a tire. Not sure how much grief they would give me at the border but one way to find out! lol

I think once you complete the bridge you need to park the Charger on it and take a few pics...
Get someone to photoshop the bridge out and you'll have your own personal Dukes pics for wall art...:thumbsup:

I think once you complete the bridge you need to park the Charger on it and take a few pics...
Get someone to photoshop the bridge out and you'll have your own personal Dukes pics for wall art...:thumbsup:
Lol, the Charger wouldn't have the ground clearance to get up there, not that it's bad but the Charger is only 5" off the ground.

Wish I was getting more done.... instead the wife decided 15 years is the amount of time before we need to start changing things up! She wants a new floor, repaint the kitchen, countertops and since she liked the hutch I built her so well she's asked that I simply make the kitchen table and chairs match it... oh yeah and make the table wider!! I build the set out of Hickory and just cleared it so yeah.. just change the color my butt. Hours of stripping the finish only to find you missed some clear.... strip again:BangHead:. Finally they took a nice even stain now time to spray on some lacquer and pray then repeat process on 3 more pieces:BangHead:. Then get the cushions wrap in leather $$$$

20170820_213108.jpg

send her an itemized bill for time and materials..........maybe she will understand........but I doubt it

Repaint,re-wallpaper,etc.; I tell her you want it, do it! I'll have a brewski and help out(a little). You can't ever tell them all the pitfalls that might occur(and they always do!)

I made a deal with my wife when we got married. I told her I will do any project on the house or cars with one condition. No matter what the project is I get to buy a new tool even if the tool is not required for that job. I have been married for close to 20 years now and let me say, my work bench looks just as good underneath as it does on top. Just a few weeks ago I did a tuneup on her car and rear shocks on my daughters car, I am now the owner of two brand new toruqe wrenches.:D

Yes, in the end I am still paying for the tools but there is no argument getting a new tool. It has also slowed her down to, don't you think this would be nice if we did this and I say, yup I've been wanting to buy this. :p

I enjoy building furniture for her but stripping stuff that's already finished to stain and finish again... no! She just sent me a picture of what she wants done in our foyer now:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:.. I'm never going to be done!

it's the rule of 3..........whatever you thought that new garage cost you, triple it!

Auto Transport Service
Back