• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

Floor looks fantastic! And I love the drip plate idea in the garage - good thinking, 1/8 galv will outlast all of here on FBBO

Well I'm finally getting back to the garage now that the renovation and the kids sports are done... problem now is it rains every chance I have to work on it:BangHead:.

Today I anchored down all of the mounting brackets to the concrete piers and stood 2 poles:rolleyes:. It was getting really late and the impact echoed all threw the valley, didn't want to tick off any neighbor's so I packed it in. Supposed to rain tomorrow but I'll do whatever I can with any decent weather that I get.

Incase anybody missed this in my other thread I brang home a new toy and had a blast moving it by myself. 13ft long LeBlond lathe.. big enough to put your rear end and then some in it.:lol:

20171022_074523.jpg

Also spent several hours reclaiming this old Chestnut and getting it stacked indoors. Looked like garbage for the most part but once you make a clean cut you can see the roughness isn't very deep. Should clean up nice but I'm sure at a cost, good thing we have carbide inserts on our plainer! 1 more load to go:thumbsup:
20171026_174418.jpg
20171026_174358.jpg
20171026_174353.jpg

I am always so impressed with the work you do. Like you, I try to do just about everything, but I have such limited time now I find I can't. I also don't know that I have the mad skills you have, able to tackle finish carpentry, rough carpentry, mechanical work, painting, fabricating, etc. Yes, I tackle some of that stuff, but not to your level.

RESPECT!

I am always so impressed with the work you do. Like you, I try to do just about everything, but I have such limited time now I find I can't. I also don't know that I have the mad skills you have, able to tackle finish carpentry, rough carpentry, mechanical work, painting, fabricating, etc. Yes, I tackle some of that stuff, but not to your level.

RESPECT!
Appreciate the kind words but after seeing your work there's no doubt in my mind that your quite capable of pulling off whatever you set your mind to.:thumbsup:

Time has been a huge obstacle lately for me too, been seriously thinking about leaving my current job in search of better hours because of it. To me it seams like most companies in the last decade have decided that 50+ hours a week are the new norm..... getting really tired of leaving at 5:00am and coming home at 7:00pm on Friday's. :eek:

Yay..... weather forecast shows this nasty crap will pass by noon:thumbsup:.

I hope so I have some much **** to do before we get that white **** :lol:

Managed to get all the post up and the majority of the purlins before the kids demanded that we go to Skymax, off we go. At this point finishing the purlins will be easy to knock out throughout the week and be set for trusses next weekend.
20171029_111022.jpg

Well I'm finally getting back to the garage now that the renovation and the kids sports are done... problem now is it rains every chance I have to work on it:BangHead:.

Today I anchored down all of the mounting brackets to the concrete piers and stood 2 poles:rolleyes:. It was getting really late and the impact echoed all threw the valley, didn't want to tick off any neighbor's so I packed it in. Supposed to rain tomorrow but I'll do whatever I can with any decent weather that I get.

Incase anybody missed this in my other thread I brang home a new toy and had a blast moving it by myself. 13ft long LeBlond lathe.. big enough to put your rear end and then some in it.:lol:

View attachment 533039
LeBlond very high quality. I have to ask you, how in the name of God did you move that by yourself. I figured you were a big boy when i seen those 10-12foot sheetrock boards you put up by yourself but a lathe that big LOL

View attachment 533039

A nice lathe indeed. Does it have a 220volt motor? Or do you have three phase power?
I had to make a phase converter and add a transformer to run my 440 volt three phase lathe.

LeBlond very high quality. I have to ask you, how in the name of God did you move that by yourself. I figured you were a big boy when i seen those 10-12foot sheetrock boards you put up by yourself but a lathe that big LOL
Steve I think he has a 'Gator' type 4-whl stashed there also; so that begs the question of what the floor looks like from dragging that behemoth?

Having a dad who's dragged home machines all of his life you learn that anything can be moved with enough leverage and or rolls. When it showed up here my dad had already lagged it down to 3X6 white oak beams so I just jacked it up and slid 4" wooden rolls (fence post) under it. From there you just throw a soft board on the floor (poplar) to bite into with the spud bar and go to down. It also had to be spun around as well but it was all done with a bar, wooden rolls and a floor jack.

Oh yeah.. I'm about 5'8" and 185 lbs.

Here's a few pics showing it with the rolls, bar and jack.
20171021_011959.jpg
20171021_004133.jpg

Last edited:
A nice lathe indeed. Does it have a 220volt motor? Or do you have three phase power?
I had to make a phase converter and add a transformer to run my 440 volt three phase lathe.
220V 3 phase, we're just about done with the phase converter and I wired the garage knowing I'd be adding a 3rd leg so it's all good. Conveniently enough we were doing some major cleaning at work and I inherited some old open motors (unsafe in our environment), the phase converter will be using a 20hp motor.

Steve I think he has a 'Gator' type 4-whl stashed there also; so that begs the question of what the floor looks like from dragging that behemoth?
I have a 4wd Can Am and yes I tried it, it burnt the tires and didn't budge it an inch then I ripped the bumper off trying to tug on It! Wish I wouldn't have even fired it up.. something else to fix now!

Not so much as a scratch in the floor either:thumbsup:.

220V 3 phase, we're just about done with the phase converter and I wired the garage knowing I'd be adding a 3rd leg so it's all good. Conveniently enough we were doing some major cleaning at work and I inherited some old open motors (unsafe in our environment), the phase converter will be using a 20hp motor.

Thanks for that--It sounds like you have a good handle on your need.
For those that may want to know--A "rotary converter" is the way to go. Your 20hp motor will do you well to feed that big lathe what it needs.

BTW how will you start the 20hp motor/three phase generator? Just asking to see if my way was too off the wall?

Last edited:
Thanks for that--It sounds like you have a good handle on your need.
For those that may want to know--A "rotary converter" is the way to go. Your 20hp motor will do you well to feed that big lathe what it needs.

BTW how will you start the 20hp motor/three phase generator? Just asking to see if my way was too off the wall?
I honestly haven't even touched it, with my dad being retired he has been tinkering with it and has it running. He's using a small maybe 1/4hp pony motor with a loose belt to get it up to speed before kicking it in. I'm not so sure how well I like the belt being used as a clutch but hey if it only eats a belt a year versus putting a motor big enough to start that 20hp then so be it because it would take a stout motor. I've got a 3 phase magnetic contactor that I'll use to kick it in via buttons.:thumbsup:

I honestly haven't even touched it, with my dad being retired he has been tinkering with it and has it running. He's using a small maybe 1/4hp pony motor with a loose belt to get it up to speed before kicking it in. I'm not so sure how well I like the belt being used as a clutch but hey if it only eats a belt a year versus putting a motor big enough to start that 20hp then so be it because it would take a stout motor. I've got a 3 phase magnetic contactor that I'll use to kick it in via buttons.:thumbsup:

In my case, I use a static converter. to start the generating motor.
They use a capacitor to get the motor running. This gets past the need for belts and clutches to get your generator motor up to speed.
Please follow up with this.--It also could be helpful to others reading.
Three-phase equipment is cheap and a bargain because buyers can be put off for the questions about making it run at home. It's not tough or a high expense in the big picture.

Last edited:
In my case, I use a static converter. to start the generating motor.
They use a capacitor to get the motor running. This gets past the need for belts and clutches to get your generator motor up to speed.
Please follow up with this.--It also could be helpful to others reading.
Three-phase equipment is cheap and a bargain because buyers can be put off for the questions about making it run at home. It's not tough or a high expense in the big picture.
Not at all expesive, I think dad has 2 capacitors invested and a couple old motors. If you want cheap I've seen people just wrap a rope around the shaft and give it a rip then throw the power to it, works perfectly fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back