• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Belvedere Project Update

I have a Griner transbrake in a box but have not installed it yet so no transbrake. Per Viking
"19 positions of compression adjustment and 19 positions of rebound adjustment for a total of 361 different valving combinations"
I don`t have a b body any more, but really enjoyed reading all these posts. I think the 66-67 belvederes are probly the best body maw mopar ever built, (66-67 dodges also-but don`t have the looks on the front end) Geat uni body strength and quality control. I raced a hemi belvedere for yrs. back in the day, altho we twisted it up quite a bit. I had forgot how much engine bay room they had. 505" wedge 68 barracuda now. Really liked all the timing and cooling conversations !-Question; do u guys driving on the street w/ 91 oct. lawnmower gas, slow ur timeing full tip in for it? I`ve got mine set at 21 initial-34 total-all in at 3400 for the 91, all thots on this appreciated >---Bob

NSF Bob, I agree on the best looking B Body but I'm partial. I'm all in at 2400 and run 91 Octane at 34 degrees total timing on 10:1 compression. If I want to bump it up to 35 or 36 I have to run 100 or 110 unleaded. Leaded fuel will kill my oxygen sensor so they say. I also had the exhaust redone this weekend with H pipe and 3" dynomax's. Still have not got below 10.70 at 126 through the mufflers on pump gas with Hoosier Quick Time Pros.

Plum, you have a great car 10.70 is about all you could expect with the tune that you have on the car right now and with the mufflers and pump gas. My build is similar to yours but probably less horsepower but maybe a little lighter and my best to date is 10.36 at 129 Plus and right now there is no more left in it. Hopefully in the 10..20s in a couple months when the air is better

I agree Mike, what I'm looking for is a better 60ft time. One of the Mopar guys at the track told me my stock front shocks are killing my 60ft times. So hopefully the new shocks will give me a little better weight transfer. Mike so what's the verdict, should I go ahead and install the trans brake? Did it help out your times?

I have a Griner transbrake in a box but have not installed it yet so no transbrake. Per Viking
"19 positions of compression adjustment and 19 positions of rebound adjustment for a total of 361 different valving combinations"

I'm running QA1 dble adjustables. I have 18 settings each.
What I'm set at right now is:
Fronts. 2R. 9C
Rears. 16R. 6C
I'm still feeling out the car so it will likely change. I was at 12R on the rear but had rise when leaving. Set it to 14R and better but still lifting on Transbrake launch. 16R seems to keep it pretty good. Without the T brake it will be less though. Mike Gaines is pretty up on shock settings. He'll likely chime in.

Fronts. 2R. 9C
Rears. 16R. 6C
I'm still feeling out the car so it will likely change. I was at 12R on the rear but had rise when leaving. Set it to 14R and better but still lifting on Transbrake launch. 16R seems to keep it pretty good. Without the T brake it will be less though. Mike Gaines is pretty up on shock settings. He'll likely chime in.
IMG_1563.JPG
. I marked the tires and they're moving on the rims over an inch per pass - screws going in now..

Malex, what tire pressure are you running? On my Hoosier QTP I found best so far is at 14.5lbs. Never thought about marking my tires, I will now. When I went down to 12lbs tires stayed wrinkled after the pass. Still not hooking like I thought I would. I have coil overs in the rear with 150lb springs.

Malex, what tire pressure are you running? On my Hoosier QTP I found best so far is at 14.5lbs. Never thought about marking my tires, I will now. When I went down to 12lbs tires stayed wrinkled after the pass. Still not hooking like I thought I would. I have coil overs in the rear with 150lb springs.

I'm running 29.5 X 11.5's at 13 Lbs air pressure. Calvert split monos and cal tracs. I was running less pressure but increased it to 13 after reading a post from Doug. (DVW). It seems to hook good at 13.

I'm really tempted to hit it with a 150 shot see if I can get into the 9's. Anyone have thoughts on this? My only hesitation is stock block which I heard was only good to 600-700hp. With a 150 shot I'd be well over that. The sensible side of me says just leave it alone.

I'm really tempted to hit it with a 150 shot see if I can get into the 9's. Anyone have thoughts on this? My only hesitation is stock block which I heard was only good to 600-700hp. With a 150 shot I'd be well over that. The sensible side of me says just leave it alone.

Wookie, who is a member here dyno'd 832 HP on his stock block 511. He runs 10.15's @ 133 MPH at 4100 lbs, stock block.

That's good news, I wonder if his stock block has a partial fill?

Fronts. 2R. 9C
Rears. 16R. 6C
I have Cal Trac 9 way adj rr shocks. They say set on 9 for footbrake and 2 for transbrake

Hello Mike,
The front shocks are what's new, which front shocks are you using and what are they set at?

NSF Bob, I agree on the best looking B Body but I'm partial. I'm all in at 2400 and run 91 Octane at 34 degrees total timing on 10:1 compression. If I want to bump it up to 35 or 36 I have to run 100 or 110 unleaded. Leaded fuel will kill my oxygen sensor so they say. I also had the exhaust redone this weekend with H pipe and 3" dynomax's. Still have not got below 10.70 at 126 through the mufflers on pump gas with Hoosier Quick Time Pros.
If you are worried about leaded race gas hurting your sensors, just have them in a couple of runs to test the AFR and then take them out and plug the holes for the rest of the day

Plumwagon we would be a good race as my best is in the 10.70's also and mine is a street car.I built good quench in my eng as I can run 36 total timing all the time on 92 pump. I don't change a thing at the track as I can race it on the 92 pump just as I drive it. That's a very nice car you have that runs very good. Ron

413561345.jpg

The best advise on shock adjustment is video the car. Cell phone from the side pointed at the rear tire. We try to make the car leave flat and drive out before it pulls the wheels. The longer it stays on the ground the quicker it'll go. Tighter is quicker. Started a few years ago at 1.38-1.40. Same combo now with slight stall speed adjustments, 5% increase in gear, tubes in the slicks, and shock adjustments. It's been as quick as 1.240. Car is now .40 quicker with the same engine it started with.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back