• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

.060" over 426 Wedge pistons

silvertonguedevil

Local time
1:55 PM
Reaction score
I'm building a 426 Wedge for my '65 Satellite. The block was at .040" over and needed to go again. So we're currently at .060" over and I'm now needing to find some pistons. I have two questions:
1) Does anybody know where I can find a set of .060" over 426 Wedge pistons?
2) Should I just take it to .070" over and run stock 440 pistons? I posted this question a while ago on a Mopar Facebook page but got answers all over the map from should-to-shouldn't. The block has been sonic-tested and the machine shop said it will be fine.

I appreciate any help I can get!

I wouldn't go more than 60 over if it was me. Pretty sure Keith Black has a 60 over piston it. Probably others as well

If sonic checked should be ok with 440 pistons
using stock heads you can get some quench with careful compression height and dish on the spark plug side depending on the compression you are shooting for
cc your heads first- you can open the chambers on the early heads to match your new bore
IDK where you would find 426 pistons- harder even than 413 maybe EGGE but at those prices you could go custom

Have 70 over 426 wedge done about 30 years ago and no issues.
Many more choices in pistons.

Any particular reason why? Even if it sonic tested ok? I just tried Keith Black and they're a "No".
I don't claim to be an expert but structural integrity and possible need for more cooling would be my concern but that's just me. Hey since it tested ok, go for it

Check with Diamond Piston. They made a set of .020 over 426 pistons for me. Not cheap, but I still have room to grow if things go sideways.

Well, like I said, I'm already at .060" over so I'm stuck between an $800 set of .060" over 426 pistons or go another .010" and go with a $300 set of stock 440 pistons.

Well, like I said, I'm already at .060" over so I'm stuck between an $800 set of .060" over 426 pistons or go another .010" and go with a $300 set of stock 440 pistons.
What you are going to do with it comes into play, if this is like my car and sees some weekends and an occasional stomp on the accelerator then maybe go for it but if this engine is going to see some serious use that's where I would pause, 70 over is getting pretty thin on the walls

For the purposes of cost comparison, you might check on sleeves, then you can use whatever you want or use what you have if they are in good shape

That's exactly what I plan to do with it. Some weekends, car shows, etc but then I will get squirrelly every once in a while and want to run it through the gears. It will never see the strip or anything like that.

If the block looks good with the sonic check, a 4.32 may be fine. I'd go with a quality piston, not the least expensive.

I agree if you are going to pound on the motor don’t go over 60 if your just going to cruise and hop on it on occasion I wouldn’t worry about going more. Just my 2 cents

I agree if you are going to pound on the motor don’t go over 60 if your just going to cruise and hop on it on occasion I wouldn’t worry about going more. Just my 2 cents
If u got the thickness on the cyl. walls, 'ESPECIALLY ON THE THRUST SIDE" , I would go for the 440 pistons, w/ the correct rod length..

2.065 compression height+/- depending on how much you cut the deck- get the deck square B4 ordering pistons
did you check ch on all four corners before tearing down the short block?
with two inch compression height it's easy to see how easily a stroker fits- you can check kits and compare with pistons, crank work and balance
Tempted to use 6 pack pistons- they weigh a TON used a lot of them back when nothing else was reasonable- used to to cut D Dishes in them to get wanted compression
you can also go to a longer rod to cut down the piston weight
post up your head specs- and compression goal- would help to narrow the piston choice
also if any nitrus is planned= really narrows the piston choice

The 426 was just a block when I bought it. I had to install one sleeve due to a cylinder that was a bit out of whack. The cylinders were already at .040" over and needed to go again so it's currently at .060" until I decide what I'm doing for pistons. My Satellite currently has a running but tired '64 413 in it that I was going to use for parts (crank, rods, tins, etc). Haven't gotten far enough yet to decide on heads. I was kinda leaning towards aluminum heads but not dead-set. As far as compression, I just want to squeeze as much as I can out of it with still being able to run on premium pump gas. There will be no nitrous.
I'm super open to suggestions and thoughts as I've never rebuilt an engine before. I've been around plenty of them but have never been the decision maker. Thanks again for your help everyone!

have you done your finish hone @.060 yet? hope not
post your gears do you want to run a stock converter , intake and exhaust plans
in general with Iron heads 9:1 aluminum closer to 10:1 low gears can get away with a Little more, towing a little less (depends on the chamber but do not even think of using open chamber iron heads) modern chamber and spark plug location helps tight quench helps (dist from top of piston to head including gasket)
once you really narrow your usage and ballpark cam where do you want your power (duration, intake close point) you can think about compression and pistons, then go around again
measure twice- you only get to cut once
A combo that works is early heads or 67 915 for iron and 9:1 256 degree intake on the cam @.006 0r "260" you get to 268 you need a HP converter and more than that 274-280 gears

Auto Transport Service
Back