• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

08 Dakota clutch issues

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:22 AM
Reaction score
OK, so it isn't a B body so I didn't want to put it in the tech area. If the mods want to move it....I'm good with that.

Danielle's 08 Dakota V6 4x4 6 speed stick, lost its clutch a few weeks ago. Installed new: flywheel, disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and complete hydraulics (master, slave, lines). TWO sets of hydraulics, from 2 different vendors (first set, Duralast; second, Sachs).

Pedal - to me - seems heavy as hell. Like, heavier than the South Bend in my Cummins. And cold, you can shift it fine; once it warms up? You can NOT get it into gear. Like, I had 2 hands on the shifter trying to get into reverse and could swear I saw the shifter bending. Turn the engine off? Snicks right into gear. This was not a problem before (hydraulics blew out, pedal sat on the carpet; replaced it all while we were in there because Dani is going to college and it has over 265k on it).

Trans was not drained.

First set of hydraulics (duralast), also had a bad clutch safety switch so I figured "crap part" and ordered the Sachs setup. Installed that, same issue. Re-bled the system, same issue. Once it heats up, moving shifts get extremely crunchy (nothing grinds, but it is H-A-R-D to get into gear) and standing-still shifts (i.e. neutral to first, or into reverse) are impossible.

Any thoughts? I can't imagine the disc is in backwards, and it didn't look like the shift fork was bent at all. Hydraulics come with new pushrods, and I doubt TWO sets had pushrods that were too short. It's almost like either something heats up and swells in the clutch itself, and it binds and won't release when you step on the pedal; or something in the (both sets of) hydraulics gets goofy when it heats up.

The clutch never slips. I can go up the mountain, in 6th, mat the throttle, and no slip. Ever. No noises. Cold, it works beautifully...but drive it 15-20 minutes and it starts acting up.

I'm stumped.

Could be a tight pilot bearing. Cold it has clearance, warmed up it gets tight spinning the main shaft not letting the gears mesh.

Auto Transport Service
Back