• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1/4 mile E/T difference 3:54 vs 4:11 gears

4.11's?
Well, first thing you'd have to do is take out the Dana60 and install a GM 12-bolt rear,
since the Dana ratio closest to that would be 4.10's...
View attachment 1472364

I saw this and instantly thought the same. In yet another rare instance of self restraint, I didn't post to correct the guy.

There are no 4.11 gear sets for Mopar axles. 4.10, yes but not 4.11.

Last edited:
I saw this and instantly thought the same. In yet again a rare instance of self restraint, I didn't post to correct the guy.

There are no 4.11 gear sets for Mopar axles. 4.10, yes but not 4.11.
Apparently @not so famous bob disagreed with me.
Oh no! Another dreaded red x club small.jpg !!!
:rofl:

It is a small error overall, to refer to numbers that are not exact.
3.55 Dana?
4.11 8 3/4? ?
2.73 8 3/4" ?
Numbers get tossed around and since Chevrolet and Ford are greater in numbers, some of their numbers and terms get repeated when some talk about Mopar stuff.
Most of us correctly say Sure Grip in reference to the limited slip Mopar differential. I'll admit, Positraction and Posi do roll off of the tongue easier.

It is a small error overall, to refer to numbers that are not exact.
3.55 Dana?
4.11 8 3/4? ?
2.73 8 3/4" ?
Numbers get tossed around and since Chevrolet and Ford are greater in numbers, some of their numbers and terms get repeated when some talk about Mopar stuff.
Most of us correctly say Sure Grip in reference to the limited slip Mopar differential. I'll admit, Positraction and Posi do roll off of the tongue easier.
sure grip.jpg

I found a nirvana when I switched out my 18 spline 833 and 3.54 gears for the Passon 855 OD and 4:10 gears. I went from 3500 at 70ish to 2,750 in 5th, and the other 4 gears are a HOOT!

2750 in 5th gear at what speed??
I have the Tremec TKO 600 5 speed and I'm at just over 2100 at 70 mph.

2750 in 5th (0.70 OD) w/4.10 and 25½" diameter inflated rear tires 315/35/17

Last edited:
Thanks, that still doesn't address the rpms at what road speed. 2750 rpms at 70? 75? 80?
My RPMs would be lower due to the slightly taller .64 OD gear and the 3.55 axle gearing.
I tracked the road speed and RPMs before with the 727 and after with the 5 speed for the purposes of comparison.

Thanks, that still doesn't address the rpms at what road speed. 2750 rpms at 70? 75? 80?
My RPMs would be lower due to the slightly taller .64 OD gear and the 3.55 axle gearing.
I tracked the road speed and RPMs before with the 727 and after with the 5 speed for the purposes of comparison.
Sorry..

I went from 3500 at 70ish to 2,750 in 5th
CORRECTION: 5th gear OD is .70 not .68
Actually about 72 MPH for both measurements. As my Track Pack 3.54 4 speed car came, with BFG T/A Radials and 15" Rallye wheels, I found highway driving at 75 tolerable but that was around 3,500 RPMs so not entirely "relaxed" at that noise and RPM level.
Basically the same "feeling" with the new 17" wheels, much wider tires, but shorter sidewalls, but also those Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials, the 315/35/17s, have been on my car now for 5 years and I will probably replace them later this year. Wet traction is safe on the highway, treadwear no complaints, and traction is definitely better that the BFG T/A radials.
I had the 4:10 gears installed along with the 5 speed, and the 750 RPM drop to 2,750 "feels" WAY WAY better than the "750" less RPMs may seem like it would be.

I'll add this:
I have the GREATEST respect and admiration for ANYONE who ordered a 4:10 R&P gear or bought a car so equipped, for ANY use other than the race track. I literally cannot imagine what it would be like to have a 1:1 final drive and 4:10 gears out back, especially on the highway at 60-70 MPH!!
I will say 3.54s are as high a compromise as I could make under those circumstances.
Our 65 GTO, 421 Tripower is currently running 3.80 gears in a Quick Performance 9" rear axle assembly, 275/40/17 and 25.⅘" diameter of the same Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials I have, but smaller because that's what fits.
Yes, we have driven on the highway at 70 MPH to and from the drag strip, "from" is always good when your race car is the ride home,
BUT
I don't like to run it like that,
BUT
we have a TKO600 5 speed in the crate in our garage waiting for installation. That's going to be so much nicer! With the small valves in the hand ported 1965 Pontiac iron heads, and the bore (0.035 over) to stroke ratio, which is NOT as RPM friendly as my 440, the Comp hydraulic roller cam specs, the 3.80 with the 5 speed is going to be great.
As a reward for reading my too long posts, here's a couple of "fun" drag strip videos:
It's a high 12 second car once I get it dialed in and I get a few 1320 trips to practice, if I can get a hard launch. This was the day I installed the 3 Rochester 2bbl carbs after extensive mods by an expert. I was still trying to set the idle speed...

Unfortunately I only have older videos of my Roadrunner at the track, because of time or other issues getting in the way.

Sorry..

CORRECTION: 5th gear OD is .70 not .68
Actually about 72 MPH for both measurements. As my Track Pack 3.54 4 speed car came, with BFG T/A Radials and 15" Rallye wheels, I found highway driving at 75 tolerable but that was around 3,500 RPMs so not entirely "relaxed" at that noise and RPM level.
Basically the same "feeling" with the new 17" wheels, much wider tires, but shorter sidewalls, but also those Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials, the 315/35/17s, have been on my car now for 5 years and I will probably replace them later this year. Wet traction is safe on the highway, treadwear no complaints, and traction is definitely better that the BFG T/A radials.
I had the 4:10 gears installed along with the 5 speed, and the 750 RPM drop to 2,750 "feels" WAY WAY better than the "750" less RPMs may seem like it would be.

I wouldn't sweat the decimal points, but, yea, that A855 made my pile so much nicer to go distances in.

We go to the Big Daddy show, 74 miles each way.
Filled up before I left, got 13.9 MPG mixed country driving, stayed of the interstate. I have 4.10 gears and 28" tires.

There's more left in it MPG wise. I don't have the vacuum advance hooked up yet, going down the road with a light load, I play with that Progressive Distributor, it runs really well in the low to mid 40s degrees of advance.

I used to think I had my distributors dialed in, now I realize I wasn't even close.

I don't have the vacuum advance hooked up yet, going down the road with a light load, I play with that Progressive Distributor, it runs really well in the low to mid 40s degrees of advance.
I used to think I had my distributors dialed in, now I realize I wasn't even close.
You mean "Progression" Ignition...
I was waiting for the smaller diameter billet aluminum body model to be made, and now that that's been done for a while, there are some "capabilities" that he was working on that are critically important to me, and those should be announced and available any day now...
That ignition system is THE DREAM ignition for a carburetor fed engine, because it gives the kind of control that only can otherwise be had with EFI and a ECU setup.
I am glad that you "get" how incredible an improvement in performance, power, and economy can be achieved with an infinitely adjustable ignition system.

To the OP
a couple of tenths maybe, if it hooks

what is the end use for the car ?
how much freeway/open hwy driving will you be doing ?
how much can you put up with ?

if you just putz around town, stoplight to stoplight bandit
it will make it perform better, in the 1st 330ft hands down,
that's where you make up most of the lower ETs, between 60' & 330'
that's if it hooks up
then it's no big deal, go with the 4.10:1

heavy *** cars either need a shitload of HP & TQ, like 800+
or gear multiplication/the torque advantages from it,
with steeper gears to get them to move off the line faster/easier

what is it you want to do ?

or a compromise 3.73:1 or a 3.90-3.91:1, each would help a lil'
it appears to have like a 29" or taller tire now

https://www.wallaceracing.com/gear-speed-calc.php

(enter your tire diameter assuming it's 29" tire diameter
& a 4.10:1 gear & in 4th (or 3rd 727tf),
final trans gear ratio stock is 1:1 in high gear (no OD)
at 73.65 MPH it's 3,500rpm at 63.13 MPH it's 3,000rpm,
with a 3.54:1 gear it's 3,000rpm at 73mph
it's just like having a 27" tire (295/50/15) 3.91:1 gears & 1:1 final gear,
same RPM almost
)

it's not like you have a 25" tall tire on it...
Hell even a 295/50/15 is 27"+
it's a Dana-60 & you can get most any gear combo out there

if you still want the 4.10:1 & do a lot of freeways or open road traveling
then maybe go to a 'Gear Venders' Under/Overdrive $2,900+ish - $3,100+ish
+ shorten your driveshaft
or other type manual Passion 855, TKO, TKX, Doug Nash, Richmond, :blah:
(add a pilot bearing, a decent clutch, bell-housing, flywheel, shifter & linkage,
pedals & linkage, z bar etc., throwout bearing & linkage/fork {or hyd}, driveshaft,
and probably a cross-member too
:blah: )
or other OD transmission combo setup, it adds up
&/or even a lock-up converter with an auto
(later 70's strating like 77-78-ish 727tf IIRC)
will help some, the lock-up converter for a performance combo, won't be cheap

like I asked above 'what is the intended/end use ?',
what do you want to accomplish, with a LOWER gear change
most people do that/it to go faster, in a shorter period of time/distances
they aren't generally worried about fuel mileage or noise at freeway speeds
they do it for/from a dead stop to max acceleration performance,
as quick as they can, over a shorter distance
if you are, worried about that other stuff
(mileage & noise/rpm at freeway speeds)
then maybe need to go in a different route
or visa versa, Go to a lower numerical #s
(IIRC a 3.21:1, they may make a lower #)
to make it stretch it's legs for the open hwy, 150mph+...
(Or an OD of some sort, you can have the best of both worlds, it's only money
& it's all relative, to how fast you want to go ? & where/how you want to do it ?
)

1/4 mile acceleration contest
(for serious performance guys, you should include the tire size in that equation too)
a 10:1 combined ratio in 1st gear = your 1st gear trans ratio x your rear gear ratio,
example 2.45:1 (1st gear) x 4.10:1 (rear gear) = 10.045:1
is a good rule of thumb, for a decent acceleration contest

Last edited:
You would pick up an easy 2 to 2 1/2 tenths
11.70 to 11.80
This is likely true if you have RPMs left on the table with 3.54:1 in 1/4 mile.

But remember. 3.54:1 is a much better street application gear set. You will likely find your car at too high RPMs for any distance freeway use at 70 MPH.

That certainly changes the equation. I know the Passon A855 has a .70 5th gear. Ideal for a 4.10/4.11 rear gear.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back