• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

10 vane water pump ??'s

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
Doing some garage cleaning and ran across this 2843290 big block water pump. It has a 10 vane cast impeller. Anyone familiar with this and does it have any added value?

20220314_080910.jpg 20220314_080918.jpg 20220314_080900.jpg 20220314_080934.jpg

Added value?? I will say I have not seen a 10 vane impeller before, even on an AC car. I didn't go to the trouble of looking the part number up to find the application, but the part number looks common for sometime in the mid to late 60's.

Added value?? I will say I have not seen a 10 vane impeller before, even on an AC car. I didn't go to the trouble of looking the part number up to find the application, but the part number looks common for sometime in the mid to late 60's.
Yeah, I have never seen a 10 vane before either. 2843290 is for 1963-71 big blocks, so pretty common part. Just the 10 vane is uncommon.

I'm thinking industry pump for boat, generator and pumps

You guys are really being a Debbie Downer, lol. Here I was hoping it was a 1 of 1 Hemi part that I could sell for big bucks. Pretty sure it came on a 69 Charger R/T that I had several years ago.

My 67 R/T had that impeller in it when I bought it, and it still does. I assumed it was original, but didn't know for sure. I know it takes more than an impeller to make an efficient cooling system, but my car runs within five degrees of whatever thermostat you put in it.

There used to be a YouTube video about Mopar water pumps. This person had built a test rig using a running engine and measured times a flow rates of different impellers / pumps. He had about 30 different types of pumps. I would love to watch his video again but I believe it's been removed. What a shame. Had great info.

Have a new Mopar Performance aluminum pump with 8 blades and had a stock one that had 6 blades iirc. Just boxed up the 6 blade one the other day and can't remember already lol

Edit: It had 6 blades but it was one from Mancini and aluminum. Actually took a pic and remembered doing that! :)

As my elder mind recalls the AC cars had a 6 blade and the Non AC
8 or 10. Mopar felt that the slow flow would cool better was how it was
explained to me by a Mopar engineer in the 60s when I was confused
and asked him.

In A.C. cars the water pumps ran much faster than non A.C. to achieve a higher fan speed. The impeller was then made smaller to get the proper flow rate.

The bottom pulleys were close to same size
Were the top pulleys that much smaller in size?
I do not remember that.

The bottom pulleys were close to same size
Were the top pulleys that much smaller in size?
I do not remember that.
There were some WP pulleys that were a different diameter but it wasn't that much different.....but maybe it was enough.

Water pump pulley on A/C cars were smaller than pulley on non-stop A/C, so impeller ran faster.

Not to disagree with 67 RT boy, bought a 68 Hemi had a 10 blade black plastic impeller, not 100% positive. Engine was sitting for 9 years so replaced it. Tried to remove it snapped if I remember correctly.

Auto Transport Service
Back