• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

water pump weep hole leaking on 383 1971 charger

mouserider

Local time
12:45 PM
Reaction score
Hi forum, my water pump started to leak after i lifted front of the car on jack lift(no idea why) and leaking ever since, it does leak however occasionally and not while running. Anyway i can see from underneath that its coming from weep hole. As i m not really familiar with type of water pumps, can you please help udnerstand how to deal with it? should i change water pump gasket, water pump all together (its new) or smth else?

Mine did all they way to Canada & back a few years ago. When I got home it puked in my driveway. Yep, gotta be replaced:-(

If you are 100% sure it's coming from the weep hole, then the pump is not long from complete failure.

Doesn’t that mean the seal has worn out? If it’s original to the car, and that matters to you, it can be rebuilt.

Grab your fan blade, and see if you can wiggle it. If you can, the bearing is shot, and your seal can not accommodate the extra movement. The bearing can get bad enough that you can feel a drivetrain vibration while driving the car. As others have said, change the pump.

Auto Transport Service
Back