• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

11" drum brake question

Ray70Chrg

Local time
1:09 AM
Reaction score
I've read thru many of the brake threads and cannot find a definitive answer to this question. I'm in the process of replacing the 3 rubber hoses and fluid. I opened the rear bleed screws to drain those hard lines and then the rear rubber hose. My question is: Shouldn't the forward section of the master cylinder just drain out of the hardline where the rubber hose was connected?

Well...it will if you pump the pedal, but I'm guessing that's not what you are asking.

Well...it will if you pump the pedal, but I'm guessing that's not what you are asking.
Thanks for replying, but that's exactly what I'm asking. Shouldn't the MC drain if the rear hose is disconnected, and the brake pedal not depressed. I have no
experience with doing this before. I can't see why the forward section of the MC wouldn't drain when the rear hose is disconnected, so if you would please explain to me why this doesn't happen. Thank You

Thanks for replying, but that's exactly what I'm asking. Shouldn't the MC drain if the rear hose is disconnected, and the brake pedal not depressed. I have no
experience with doing this before. I can't see why the forward section of the MC wouldn't drain when the rear hose is disconnected, so if you would please explain to me why this doesn't happen. Thank You

It might not drain without pumping on the brake pedal. It might only drip once in awhile. Try pushing down on the pedal and see if you get a good flow.

If im reading this correctly, you are asking why the master cylinder wont drain completely when you disconnect only one of the hoses?? Dual master cylinders were created for safety, in case you loose a front or rear line.... the car would still have some brakes and get you off the road with at least some brake action. The fluid is not supposed to drain out with only one line off.

It might not drain without pumping on the brake pedal. It might only drip once in awhile. Try pushing down on the pedal and see if you get a good flow.
Yes, a continuous stream about 1/16" in diameter. Is the MC designed not to leak or allow fluid to flow if the pedal is not pushed even if the line back to the rear wheels is open. I'm only talking about the front portion of the MC if the rear line is opened.
If im reading this correctly, you are asking why the master cylinder wont drain completely when you disconnect only one of the hoses?? Dual master cylinders were created for safety, in case you loose a front or rear line.... the car would still have some brakes and get you off the road with at least some brake action. The fluid is not supposed to drain out with only one line off.
Yes, the rear line and the front portion of the MC. I understand that the MC is divided into 2 separate feeds for front and rear wheels. I have one line going from MC to the rear into a metal block on top of the left side axle and feeds separate lines to each of the rear wheels.

Auto Transport Service
Back