• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

14 yr old plasma tv has croaked, what to do with it........

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:54 AM
Reaction score
Guys, my heavy as heck old plasma tv took a dump yesterday and thinking about what goodie in there was left. Was gonna have some target practice for the grand kids but Im thinking it will make more mess than I wish to clean up. Im very rural and no electronic recycling places available and not sure if my land fill will take it. Don't think there is enough metal in there for my metal recyclers to take it either. Unless y'all got some good ideas, guess I will need to dump it somewhere.....

Around me they have recycling events a few times a year where you can drop off old electronics, appliances, phones, TV's. Most times at the county/town garage's parking lots. TV's (old style) they charge 25 bucks to dump. Don't find any places anymore that take those w/o dump fees. They've taken old computer monitors free though. Could check with your area waste collection places.

I was lucky on one flat screen when a friend begged me for it as he swore he could fix it for himself. He couldn't fix it....
Another TV I took to best buy and paid $20-$25 for them to dispose of. Well worth it to get it out of here.

The $25 basically covers the shipping fees to place it in a land fill in southeast Asia. Cut it in half and throw it into your trash bin and pocket the $25.

Rear projection televisions, the ones with the three (red, green, blue) projector lenses inside, have a fun thing you can harvest. The front screen is often a Fresnel lens magnifier.

I've pulled these large "magnifying glasses" and used them to focus the sun down to a point onto a rock. With patience, one can heat and split the rock. Turn it on a wrench, and you can melt the wrench right there on the sidewalk !

Be sure the wear eye protection.

Rear projection televisions, the ones with the three (red, green, blue) projector lenses inside, have a fun thing you can harvest. The front screen is often a Fresnel lens magnifier.

I've pulled these large "magnifying glasses" and used them to focus the sun down to a point onto a rock. With patience, one can heat and split the rock. Turn it on a wrench, and you can melt the wrench right there on the sidewalk !

Be sure the wear eye protection.
Not sure what kind of a lens I have as it's clear and only 5" in diameter and made of glass. I do know it'll start a piece of wood smoking pretty dang quick....

As mentioned above, cut it up into smaller parts and dispose of it pice meal in your trash. Keep the 25 bucks for some cold beverages of your choice instead...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Last edited:
Can it be used to boil a red ant nest?
:rofl:One good thing about having hot dry weather is the fire ants go deeper in the ground and you don't see any mounds above it. As soon as it rains though they'll be above like crazy.

Might as well have some fun shooting it up first.
True and I have done it also. But it is a PITA to clean up afterwards and I do not like just dumping my trash in any place but a trash can or dump...Just saying' is all...cr8crshr/Bill :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Thanks all, it being a plasma, its heavy as hell. I guess the heaviness is due to glass? I do have a scrap metal recycler near by and usually wait till I have a truck load to make a run. I may just take the time to dismantle it, scrap the metal, cut up the plastic and move it to the land fill.

Put it out in front of the house with a 4 sale sign of $200. Somebody will steal it.
Better still, when you get the new TV, put the old one in the box, tape it up and leave it on the porch.

See how long it takes a porch pirate to steal it.

I took an LCD Samsung TV to the local electronics recycle centre last week....cost me $10 to dispose of there....land fill won't take them, and I don't want to be an *** and try and lob it in a ditch somewhere like some ******** seem to do.
The old CRT TV's at least had a decent coil of copper inside, once you got past the degaussing stage.....or toss a rock from a distance is what the local monkeys seem to do.

I know a guy who repairs Panasonic TV's, so I will probably take my old Plasma to him for either spare parts or he can re-sell it. It still works fine, but man are they heavy.

I don't want to be an *** and try and lob it in a ditch somewhere like some ******** seem to do.

tumblr_6d82a30402b9372e4bed972d90d7a6b1_97b9eaf1_500.gif

Thanks all, it being a plasma, its heavy as hell. I guess the heaviness is due to glass? I do have a scrap metal recycler near by and usually wait till I have a truck load to make a run. I may just take the time to dismantle it, scrap the metal, cut up the plastic and move it to the land fill.

I had to get rid of our old 58” plasma TV a few years ago but managed to do so while it was still working OK and I gave it to a Mexican family for hauling it away. But I’ll vouch for their weight. With the stand the manual said it‘s bare weight was 170 lbs and I believe it weighed every bit of that and maybe more.

I can put anything out to the curb the night before garbage day and the scavengers will pick it up before the garbage truck arrives.

I can put anything out to the curb the night before garbage day and the scavengers will pick it up before the garbage truck arrives.
Hey, I resemble that term lol. I've picked up all kinds of stuff off the curb over the years....some of it I've kept and the most of it was sold :D

Auto Transport Service
Back