• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

15s or go to 16+ on oem car?

Some Car Guy

Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
I’m not happy with the repop redline radials style tires I bought two years ago. Car really really handles poorly and they balanced so bad the shop thinks the rims are bent. Not sure if they checked them without a tire on or not.

I want to open the possibility of putting on a disc kit since drums are getting so hard to find. The Baer setup I’d go with requires at least a 15” wheel. This car is all stock and I’m not sure I want to have that master ruin the underhood look, but I will if I have to.

16s open the door to higher end tires. They only have a 50-55 aspect ratio. Curious as to thoughts and opinions on which size rims to go with.

i want to stay with a narrow tire to preserve the rust free original quarters. With the factory size tire, they are tucked and no rubber or chips fly on the outside of the panel. Will be trying my best to keep the new size tucked.

car is only driven on two lanes and occasionally on interstate if that is what’s needed to get to the two lanes I like. Suspension is completely stock. Considering Bilsteins and I do have the ball joint sway bar links to try out.

I ran 16's on my 64. None would know they weren't 15's They were Americans 7'' wide and ran a 65 aspect ratio.
Like you I didn't want any wider or have any interference anywhere.
My 2 cents :)

IMG_0818.jpg

Coker Redlines? They are a Piece of $hit! I had same problem with mine requiring so much weight to balance. Then, at 4,000 miles, the plies separated on one of them. If you still want Redline look, try DiamondBacks. They run true on the rims and balanced with little or no weight. However, I did find a good use for Coker tire. Made a nice side table for my Mancave. They should NEVER be driven any faster than this!

P6230084.JPG

P6230085.JPG

Last edited:
I'd do 16's like some side wall 17's OK but heading in the wrong direction. MO.

I found 16s hard to find for my old Z28 camaro (stock) and I think 17s would be where I would go, if you want more than 15s.
I've got 255-50/17s on the back of my 55, 27+ inches tall Nitto UHP G2. I like the look, they have enough sidewall.
If you want good redlines, I second Diamondback tires. They make redlines out of GOOD tires.

Coker Redlines? They are Piece of $hit! I had same problem with mine requiring so much weight to balance. Then, at 4,000 miles, the plies separated on one of them. If you still want Redline look, try DiamondBacks. They run true on the rims and balanced with little or no weight. However, I did find a good use for Coker tire. Made a nice side table for my Mancave. They should NEVER be driven any faster than this!

View attachment 1570091

View attachment 1570092
Those are the ones.

I like the idea of firehawks if I go 16. It’s just that aspect ratio seems low. No sidewall. Height is about the same as stock however.

1- consider DiamondBacks. Your experience might be much better

2- 16s, IMO, are short for this world. Personally, I’d go 17s

3- my Wilwood (fronts only) actually fit my Ford 14” rims that I had on my Charger, and fit two different 15” Mopar wheels.

4- I used an era correct looking Mopar master cylinder with the Wilwoods.

15’s rear and 14’s front. Cooper Cobra. Bilsteins too. Car handles well all conditions including freeway and rain.

80E434EC-18A5-4E7E-BD87-C5CB70E39673.png

Auto Transport Service
Back