• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960s dash clock help

Dako

Local time
3:31 AM
Reaction score
My '66 Belvedere came with the factory in dash clock. I sent it off to Instrument Services Inc. www.clocksandgauges.com for the quartz conversion.

DSC_0655.jpg

My dilemma, the bulb receptacle(?) is missing from the end of the wire harness (Orange wire in middle of photo).

DSC_0657.jpg

There are no slots in the housing, so I am guessing it is a 'pop in' style fixture (little spring type fingers around the edges?)

DSC_0656.jpg

I imagine all Mopar dash board clocks of the 60's, not incorporated into an instrument cluster, used the same type of lighting. Does anybody have an example (photo) they can post, of what it should look like? Or even better know where a replacement can be purchased? Appreciate any help.

Bill

My dilemma, the bulb receptacle(?) is missing from the end of the wire harness (Orange wire in middle of photo).

View attachment 311731

There are no slots in the housing, so I am guessing it is a 'pop in' style fixture (little spring type fingers around the edges?)

Yes. Although I am not familiar with 67 cars, I would think that the bulb socket should be hanging off your wiring harness. 68-70 cars use a black plastic socket that just pops in.

This picture might help. It's my '66 Coronet but probably the same or close to what you have. You can see the bulb holder. I took this when I did the quartz conversion on my clock - it works perfectly.

PB200007.jpg

As stated earlier, the bulb socket is plastic and made to fit a 5/8 hole. On the edge of the plastic socket ( where it snaps in the hole ) is a metal tang to make ground. The one you show will work providing it's takes a W5W style bulb or 168 bulb type "push in" style socket. The larger push and twist bulbs can be used with a slight rewiring but make sure the bulb is the same illumination and fits through the hole in the back of the clock.

As stated earlier, the bulb socket is plastic and made to fit a 5/8 hole. On the edge of the plastic socket ( where it snaps in the hole ) is a metal tang to make ground. The one you show will work providing it's takes a W5W style bulb or 168 bulb type "push in" style socket. The larger push and twist bulbs can be used with a slight rewiring but make sure the bulb is the same illumination and fits through the hole in the back of the clock.

Thanks for the bulb info. I had concerns about getting one 'too hot' and melting the blue plastic piece it shines through.

Auto Transport Service
Back