• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Fury aluminum radiator install-Auto City Classic

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
2:36 AM
Reaction score
I've been in the middle of trying to change my 22" radiator in my 63 Max clone. Wasn't overheating but the temp does go up a little at freeway speeds which indicates lack of radiator cooling as opposed to air flow issue which is usually seen at idle-low speed. I was looking at the US radiators but saw auto city has a aluminum with 2 1.125" tubes, which is good. In the picture it looked mostly correct. $259 versus US $850. Well the Auto City unit listed for 62-64 cars does not fit. Let me repeat DOES NOT FIT. Core size is good, tanks looked very similar. The brackets are set 1" too far back, towards the engine. So I made spacers to fill the gap. Hung the radiator needed to shorten my fan spacer, no big deal. But I had noticed the filler neck looks like it stands taller then original. It does, about an inch taller. can't close the hood because it hits the rad cap. So I thought I could lower it to clear, yes but doing that puts the lower hose right in front of the oil filter and there is no way to install lower hose without crushing it, not good. After a month of playing with this I gave up. Ordered a US radiator from Classic Industries. US direct has a 4-6 lead time where as Classic Ind had it in stock. Hopefully this one with be a drop in as stock. I went with the copper/brass 3 row.
Do not buy the ACC 63-65 22" alum radiator

By the way, the OEM radiator I took out must be original for my car, it's for a small block car and is 2 rows of what looks like 3/8" tube. Surprised it works as well as it does. The replacement I bought has 3 rows of 1/2" tube should be better

I wonder if anyone makes a really nice aluminum big block unit that bolts right in?

Tom

I wonder if anyone makes a really nice aluminum big block unit that bolts right in?

Tom
US Radiator makes both alum and copper/brass. I hope they fit for $800+
I bought the copper brass thru Classic which is a US Radiator. It gets delivered tomorrow, hope it will fit.

Tom
My copper brass arrives tomorrow, I'll let you know fitment. I would expect the alum version to be the same, they look identical in the pictures. The reason I went with the radiators I did is because I only want stock appearing stamped tanks, no welded alum tanks for me

I've been in the middle of trying to change my 22" radiator in my 63 Max clone. Wasn't overheating but the temp does go up a little at freeway speeds which indicates lack of radiator cooling as opposed to air flow issue which is usually seen at idle-low speed. I was looking at the US radiators but saw auto city has a aluminum with 2 1.125" tubes, which is good. In the picture it looked mostly correct. $259 versus US $850. Well the Auto City unit listed for 62-64 cars does not fit. Let me repeat DOES NOT FIT. Core size is good, tanks looked very similar. The brackets are set 1" too far back, towards the engine. So I made spacers to fill the gap. Hung the radiator needed to shorten my fan spacer, no big deal. But I had noticed the filler neck looks like it stands taller then original. It does, about an inch taller. can't close the hood because it hits the rad cap. So I thought I could lower it to clear, yes but doing that puts the lower hose right in front of the oil filter and there is no way to install lower hose without crushing it, not good. After a month of playing with this I gave up. Ordered a US radiator from Classic Industries. US direct has a 4-6 lead time where as Classic Ind had it in stock. Hopefully this one with be a drop in as stock. I went with the copper/brass 3 row.
Do not buy the ACC 63-65 22" alum radiator

By the way, the OEM radiator I took out must be original for my car, it's for a small block car and is 2 rows of what looks like 3/8" tube. Surprised it works as well as it does. The replacement I bought has 3 rows of 1/2" tube should be better
Just to add to this, I knew immediately the brackets were wrong just looking at it but spacers are easy to make, the too tall water neck is an impossible fix.
If you look at their picture you can tell the water neck looks too tall 1962 1963 1964 Dodge Plymouth 330 440 Lancer Polara 22" Aluminum Radiator | eBay
Otherwise the radiator looks very good as far as tubes/welding etc

my experience with u.s. radiator has been fairly dismal. hope you have a better experience.

my experience with u.s. radiator has been fairly dismal. hope you have a better experience.
I got the US radiator yesterday and it's a perfect fit, as it should be. It's not an "exact" looking as original but the fitment is right on and it's close enough to original look for the average person. If I was worried about exactness I could have my original recored.
I bought from Classic Ind, they say it's OER and it came in an OER box but if you go to OER it automatically takes you to US radiator site. So I'm assuming US made it. When I went to the US radiator site they give a warning that it's 4-6 weeks out to make a radiator. Obviously Classic Ind had it in stock, I ordered on Sunday and they shipped it Monday

I saw a couple places offering new "original" rads, and just looking at them and reading the descriptions of "options", I was sure they were US Radiator too. Nice that they had it in stock for you.

I'm having a terrible time finding the right lower hose. I've bought two and the both came with a 1 1/2" radiator end when it should be 1 3/4". The item description even listed both ends at 1.75, not.

Rock Auto is your friend, not just for parts, but especially for part #'s & descriptions.

Continental 60313 is 1.75 both ends.

Am I assuming that a '63 426 had 1.5/1.75 lower hoses? It seems that most of them listed have that combination.

Last edited:
Yes, that's what the specs says but 60313 arrived and has 1.75-1.5
Rock Auto is your friend, not just for parts, but especially for part #'s & descriptions.

Continental 60313 is 1.75 both ends.

Am I assuming that a '63 426 had 1.5/1.75 lower hoses? It seems that most of them listed have that combination.
Anyone know of a Mopar store that carries rad hoses?

According to Summit, the 60313 has the staggered ends too. Figured it was odd that one would be like that.

I wonder if it was the radiator end that's still 1.75 and the water pump is 1.5....???

According to Summit, the 60313 has the staggered ends too. Figured it was odd that one would be like that.

I wonder if it was the radiator end that's still 1.75 and the water pump is 1.5....???
No such thing on the pump end at 1.5"

sb 1.5, BB 1.75

I'm no expert on Max Wedges, but looking at Rock Auto, if you pull up your year, any Fury/Belvedere/Savoy etc, if it's a small block, it gets a 1.5/1.5 hose, big blocks 383/413/426 get a 1.5/1.75 hose. So either the rad is different, or the water pump housing. My money is on the housing.

Auto Transport Service
Back