• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Fury push button issue

This cable isn't plastic.
The cable needs to be tested to be certain it moves freely.!st thing though id to get the car in the air and see if the cable is melted or kinked anywhere.
looked at the youtube video. whats the car?

my bad, I think I was looking at the park lever cable? just looked again at the car. has two plastic covered cables to the trans. one goes in the front, I assume one goes further back. cant see from up top. is the front cable speedo & the rear gear selector?

Read these and just where it pertains to your car. There's some console shift info mixed in. Pay no attention to that. I like useing the paragraph useing an ohms meter. (Second link I provided)

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/mopar-push-button-transmission-park-cable-tech-tips.html

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/transtech.html

This is easy to check first...

Hook up an ohms meter to the switch on the transmission. One lead on the terminal and the other to a good place on the trans. You can sit in the car and have your meter on the floor where you can watch it. (This doesn't require the key to be on.) Now place the shifter in reverse and your meter reading should be "0" or an open circuit. Then place your shifter in neutral. This should show a reading or a closed circuit. Then place it in drive and the meter should show a open circuit again.

You will get a sence as right where the switch is being activated. If it favors one position more than the other, like when coming out of the drive position it takes longer to get your reading and coming out of reverse you get a quicker reading, then a small adjustment is needed. That's what I'm thinking your problem is.

The adjustment is made with the wheel on the end of the cable that's bolted to the trans. (Refer to the article in the second link) Remove the small bolt and turn the wheel to the next hole. (Turning the wheel clockwise lenthens the cable) It doesn't take much. Two holes could be too much in some cases. This procedure is good for checking if you have a faulty switch also. That would be the next step if adjusting the cable isn't having any results.

Heres some pics...
20170920_175602.jpg

20170628_232623.jpg

Any questions just hit us up. Update with your results.

Last edited:
my bad, I think I was looking at the park lever cable? just looked again at the car. has two plastic covered cables to the trans. one goes in the front, I assume one goes further back. cant see from up top. is the front cable speedo & the rear gear selector?

The two plastic housing cables are your shifter (front) and the park (rearward).

The metal housing cable is the speedometer cable that goes futher back on the trans.

I've done work with my '63 Fury typewriter drive over the years. I'll be overly simple some at risk of insulting your smarts, the trans has to have fluid flowing to operate. Clean filters? An overheat (trans not motor) could be a clogging in the trans, inadequate oil pressure, or perhaps some modifications done over the years you're not aware of as this is a non-stock motor swap. Another confirm is assure the cable shift is properly adjusted. There are articles on the adjustment techniques in case you've not checked this. One is described in the FSM that I've followed when making the adjusts. While it's definitely a smart check on the button operations in the dash, this shouldn't really be an issue when the car is run for 15 minutes. As posted, an inspection of the cable is wise to assure no melting or heady leakage of fluid. Also check the area around the safety switch. Since there was a motor swap at one time, there just might be an incompatibility issue, most pronounced if the swap was from a small block. Not sure of course with your car's history. This is a farther reach though and hopefully so. The trans has fluid lines to/from the radiator...inspect those. If the filters have not been changed out/cleaned could be some impedance there.

Make sure your transmission is not overfilled with fluid. I had a similar issue when I was a teenager with my 65 Coronet. I got in a hurry and dumped in too much ATF. Drove it about 20 miles, and it would not shift out of gear and into park. I think the fluid expanded after getting hot. I had to drain some fluid out. Then all was ok again... This was with a 65 cable shift trans.

Nope, it's plastic. It will melt!

Had to step away for a bit. Looks real nice! Wait till you get a load of member's @383man s '63. Looks very similar. You can see by my avatar that I'm into the early "B" car.

Welcome aboard, you'll like it here. I'll try and post up the adjustment proceedures for the cable shift. But not till I get back from picking up a pizza that I ordered.

Thanks for the kind words. And yes our 63's do look a lot alike since both are red. Yours looks very nice indeed !! Here is a pic of mine at the track earlier this year. Love them 63 Plymouth's !!! Ron

414201651.jpg

Lots of good advice you guys. Thanks I will definitely take your advice and do the checks you describe. Like I said this is only my second mopar so there's alot of difference from the BPO brands I'm used to. Thanks again. Just an all around car guy. As long as its American and old like me. Don.

Anyone on here have a classic they would like to trade for a Grumman single engine two seat low wing tri cycle gear airplane?

nice 63

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Beautiful Fury!!! And welcome to the site!

As for the shift cable. You're going to have to check the mechanism in the dash for any possible culprits. Parts can go bad or break and show up at random times. Also check the cable itself for problems.

After checking everything, go through the adjustment procedure to the letter. The shift mechanism in the trans is pretty simple but I suppose something could be worn under the shifter comb. There is a spring loaded ball that keeps pressure on the shift comb in the trans. You will have to drop the pan to check though so start with the shift mechanism and cable.

Welcome from another 63 owner. Seems as if Ruby Red is getting popular on this site. That's a beautiful car, and no, I'm not biased...

So I would like to know, DR. olds... Did you check your fluid level as I recommended in my response to this question? (#26) I am curious as to what you found, or if that was the problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back