• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Polara front fender trim

wedgie

Local time
3:33 PM
Reaction score
Duh, I posted this in the '66 up forum. Here goes.
This is probably a question with an obvious answer, but;
The '63 Polara (not a 500) that I purchased last year has the left fender moldings boogered up. I managed to get the thin one off and made some modified Ford push clips to secure it.
The next piece down (wider) was a real PITA to remove. The 10-24 bolt securing the trim at the back of the fender near the door, was never secured. Needless to say, the trim suffered. Got everything pretty well straightened out, vinegar bath for a few days on the two long keepers that slide into the trim, wire brushed, replaced and bad 10-24's, JB weld front one where the rust ate thing away, etch primed, black rustoleum.
Now, here's the question: How the heck do I get a nut onto the stud near the door? The trim hole in the fender is directly over the inner brace. I was actually thinking about cutting a 1/2" access hole in the fender brace.
Somebody on this site,
1691618513581.png
please tell me WTF I am I doing wrong.
1691618449231.png

Hi
If you remove the inside rear fender shield you should be able to get it.

Thank you, Longram. I have removed the front and rear splash shields. I don't think that the fender is original to the car based on rhe way the trim holes are drilled. Maybe the steel piece that captures the 10-25 studs needs to slide closer to the door? The way it sits, the stud closest to the door goes into a drilled hode that goes into the center of the fender bracing. Kind of a stamped channel running from the bottom to the top of the fender.
I guess that I should remove the splash shields in the right fender to see how that trim is secured. Something ain't right. Just thought that someone might be able to steer me in the right direction.
I do appreciate your reply.
John

Auto Transport Service
Back