• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - Engine, Steering and Suspension Refresh

Detroit Iron

Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
2009 I decided to rebuild the engine in my tired Polara. One thing lead to another and I ended up doing a little more.

While the engine was out I painted the engine bay '64 Chrysler Formal Black because my plans are to do the rest of the car this color. I originally wanted to put a '69 K-member in to move the engine back in the bay. I messed with that for quiet a while. Test fit after test fit.... I finally abandon the idea. I really wanted the through K-member style sway bar, spool type motor mounts and improved through bolt idler arm. So, what I did was this...

I cut the engine mounts off the '69 K-member and bolted them to the block. With the '69 K-member mounted in the car, I mated the block to the transmission and spot welded the mounts back down to the K-member where the engine wanted to be. I removed the block, then finished welding them in place. Having done this allowed me all the benefits of the later K-member, but put the engine in it's stock position, thus eliminating A LOT of other mods.

Anyhow, the car is all back together. I haven't even done a final tune on it. After a tune up, I just need to get an alignment and the car will be back on the road as a daily driver.

Here are some more details on the car.

Stock Original 383 built to mild stock-ish specs. (for the almost 50 club)
Lunati Cam, Keith Black Pistons, Edelbrock E-street Heads, Aluminum Water Pump and Housing
Carter AVS
Restoration Wire Harness with Dual Field and Tuff Stuff 100 amp Alternator
1967 HP 727 (from a GTX) Gil Younger Shift Kit and Deep MP Pan
Sure Grip with 3.23s
Denny's Driveshaft
TTI Exhaust
Richard Ehrenberg's Disc Brake upgrade
KYB Shocks
Super Stock Leaf Springs
Hemi T-bars
Firm Feel Power Steering (detuned because I love sloppy Chrysler steering)
15x8 rear rims with 275/60/15
15x7 front rims with 255/60/15

Here's a quick walk around video. The carb has a fresh rebuild and the timing hasn't even been set, so it's not dialed in yet.
https://youtu.be/w6heFsT__i4

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 676
  • IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Nice ride!!!

Good work thanks for sharing.

I smell a Super Stock grille in your future.

Good job! You have the newer style motor mounts with the original K-frame and you didn't have to modify your trans mount. A pretty good plan.

My Plymouth has the newer style K frame and the motor is noticeably closer to the firewall. Not bad though, it moves the weight back.

I like your Polara 500! I used to have one 20 years ago and it was always a crowd favourite! Another car that I should have kept!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

Good job! You have the newer style motor mounts with the original K-frame and you didn't have to modify your trans mount. A pretty good plan.

My Plymouth has the newer style K frame and the motor is noticeably closer to the firewall. Not bad though, it moves the weight back.

I like your Polara 500! I used to have one 20 years ago and it was always a crowd favourite! Another car that I should have kept!!

View attachment 284562View attachment 284563

Thank you for the kind words. Yes I wanted to move the engine back but wasn't up for the full project that it involves. Do you like the benefits of it?

- - - Updated - - -

I smell a Super Stock grille in your future.

Maybe so. I toy with the idea of selling it for a '62 300H. Might be out of my price range though. I will drive the Polara a bit to see what my satisfaction level is. I may not want a C-body after all.

I'm doing a 70 unit in my 65.I've seen two cars where you could put your fingers between the bell housing and the firewall. One where it was right up against it. I'm going to test fit mine with the engine/trans assembly and make sure. I'm already going to be doing some surgery on the firewall to cover up the HVAC plumbing holes, so a little more work is no biggie. I'm not going to assume its a slam dunk since the Indy engine uses hemi mounts and I got the Schumacher setup for a wedge k-frame. The new HVAC plumbing will come in between the inner and outer fender. Lots of room for it there. Going to changeout the HVAC unit too since the blower smoked and the heater core started to smell. Only way to fix them is to pull them out. If I'm doing that, then its bye bye stock stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back