• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Dodge stock steel hood weight?

Dan, don't you have the rms k member?. 40000 seem to be alot. I read that dodge 64 were at 3600 out the door. I maybe wrong I can tell you that I'm trying to loose weight at every point. Window regulators etc dvw has a great home built window regulator that I'm going to try and do also. All this weight lose and still feeling fat.

Dan, don't you have the rms k member?. 40000 seem to be alot. I read that dodge 64 were at 3600 out the door. I maybe wrong I can tell you that I'm trying to loose weight at every point. Window regulators etc dvw has a great home built window regulator that I'm going to try and do also. All this weight lose and still feeling fat.
I do have a RMS Alterkation front end, i'm sure it saves some weight but not sure how much really. Even if their scales were wrong I still need to loose that 120lbs. Car is going onto a chassis dyno on June 7th to see if we can get any more power out of it, but no plans on making any major driveline changes. After the 7th it is what it is, motor wise.The rest will have to come from weight savings

One set of these results makes me distrust my new bathroom/garage scale. See if you can guess which....
Anyway, here goes:
15x4 centerline prostock, with GY frontrunner, 23x5: 23.5 lbs.
Ansen (ancient! ) 15x8.5: 23 lbs.
American 200S (daisies) 15x8.5: 18.6 lbs.
American 200S 15x7: 19 lbs
American TT2s, 15x7, with GY 235/75x15 street tires: 42.6 lbs
American TT2s, 16x8, with brand new Hoosier bias slicks, 28x10x16; 42.6 lbs
I can do 15x14 centerline prostocks, with 14x32 mickeys, but I ran out of "want to".
These were laying around the garage, easy to weigh.

One set of these results makes me distrust my new bathroom/garage scale. See if you can guess which....
Anyway, here goes:
15x4 centerline prostock, with GY frontrunner, 23x5: 23.5 lbs.
Ansen (ancient! ) 15x8.5: 23 lbs.
American 200S (daisies) 15x8.5: 18.6 lbs.
American 200S 15x7: 19 lbs
American TT2s, 15x7, with GY 235/75x15 street tires: 42.6 lbs
American TT2s, 16x8, with brand new Hoosier bias slicks, 28x10x16; 42.6 lbs
I can do 15x14 centerline prostocks, with 14x32 mickeys, but I ran out of "want to".
These were laying around the garage, easy to weigh.
I wouldn't think that the 15x7 Daisies would weigh more than the 15x8's. I did notice that on Americans website that sometimes the chevy bolt pattern would weigh more than the Ford/ Mopar but sometimes also vice versa .Weird

My local track is Atco but it seems that they don't turn their scale on too offen. I was buying lawn fert. down the street at the local co-op and they agreed to let me use their scale, they said "Weights and Measures" had just been there so it's dead on.I would like to get it weighed somewhere else for a back up number. My 64' Polara and me ( i'm 260) weighted in at 4060 lbs.!. So scale says car is 3800 on the nose. It currently is all steel,full interior, factory buckets, console,dana 60 ( S-60), 45lbs. Gear Vendors unit, 493 w/aluminum heads,water pump,26" aluminum radiator-normal stuff plus A/C, 55lbs. of sound deadener, heavy Torq-thrust 15x10's and 15x41/2". Almost no consideration to weight savings was given to the car at the time due to it being said that Atco was closing which is now not the case. I first mentioned the hood because of all the body panels it's the only one i'm not real happy with , Dustless Baster guy warped it slightly and I chased it but still not thrilled.
Dan, just for comparison my 65 Belvedere scales at 3660 with a hemi, aluminum heads and water pump, 727, Dana, SS interior, full exhaust, similar torq thrust wheels, and half tank of gas. No a/c, sound deadener or gear vendors.

Dan, just for comparison my 65 Belvedere scales at 3660 with a hemi, aluminum heads and water pump, 727, Dana, SS interior, full exhaust, similar torq thrust wheels, and half tank of gas. No a/c, sound deadener or gear vendors.
I called the local Cat scale and i'm going to drive it there tomorrow. Looking at your numbers maybe my 3800 with all of the extra weight items isn't far off? I should know tomorrow how close it is, they claim their scale is dead on but i've read that they are close @ a 20lb. variable and for a street car that's close enough for me. BTW, 65hemi that's an awesome car you got.

Doug, where did you get your used scales, a racing buddy? I would LOVE to have a set, but I can't justify the expense of new scales, and they are going up every day it seems. Wish I had bought a set when they were $600/new!
Freind of a friend who was retiring from roundy round racing. $400 And what its worth. I have a friendwith a 64 Dodge N/SS car thats a touch lighter than mine.
Doug

Last edited:
I called the local Cat scale and i'm going to drive it there tomorrow. Looking at your numbers maybe my 3800 with all of the extra weight items isn't far off? I should know tomorrow how close it is, they claim their scale is dead on but i've read that they are close @ a 20lb. variable and for a street car that's close enough for me. BTW, 65hemi that's an awesome car you got.
I could see your weights making total sense. I've personally never seen a guy trying to run those numbers with a GV and A/C and the other stuff. But, you set your own parameters.
I'll accept x
But I won't accept y
Etc

I could see your weights making total sense. I've personally never seen a guy trying to run those numbers with a GV and A/C and the other stuff. But, you set your own parameters.
I'll accept x
But I won't accept y
Etc
Doug.

For what ever it's worth, your car is light for being close to an all steel car. Yes, it can be lighter, but that would have to entail going down the rabbit hole. Your car is fast enough as it is.

I've been busy lately, but as soon as I get a NY minute, I'll trigger at least the first chapter of a very long journey.
Trying to figure out a title. It will be independent of this read.

I'll accept x
But I won't accept y
Etc
This car is 99 percent street driven only driven to the track a couple times a year. I was going for what we used to call a "Gentleman's Hotrod". 30 years ago, when it would have been impressive to run low 11's , 10's on the street I wanted to build one but never quite got there. Some 11.5 and 12 second cars but no 10's. I hang out with a guy at one of our local cruise nights that runs 8.60's on the street and he drives the wheels off of the car, so I realize i'm about 30 years too late. Just something i want to do. For me it's more fun to race a street car than street a race car and the air conditioning feels great on the return road.

This car is 99 percent street driven only driven to the track a couple times a year. I was going for what we used to call a "Gentleman's Hotrod". 30 years ago, when it would have been impressive to run low 11's , 10's on the street I wanted to build one but never quite got there. Some 11.5 and 12 second cars but no 10's. I hang out with a guy at one of our local cruise nights that runs 8.60's on the street and he drives the wheels off of the car, so I realize i'm about 30 years too late. Just something i want to do. For me it's more fun to race a street car than street a race car and the air conditioning feels great on the return road.
AC? That's too much unnecessary weight. Open the windows. LOL.

AC? That's too much unnecessary weight. Open the windows. LOL.
No ! It'll let all of the cold air out, maybe i should run the fuel line through the cabin , the cool fuel should make up for the a/c weight,:D

Just got back from the Cat scale and it's confirmed that with a half tank of gas ( ten gallons) the car weighs 4060 lbs. I also re-weighed it at the same fertalizer company and it read the same exact number.

Doug.

For what ever it's worth, your car is light for being close to an all steel car. Yes, it can be lighter, but that would have to entail going down the rabbit hole. Your car is fast enough as it is.

I've been busy lately, but as soon as I get a NY minute, I'll trigger at least the first chapter of a very long journey.
Trying to figure out a title. It will be independent of this read.
Glad that your'e going to do a thread on this, i'm sure some others and myself will learn a lot on the subject. It isn't talked about as much as it probably should be.

I have 2 friends with Glasstek 64 Dodge hoods. They are very nice. Just under 30lbs if I remember correctly.
Doug
are they hingable or just pin on? I make them both ways and fenders too

Agreed, but in some cases looks trumps low hanging fruit, like ditching a nice stock bumper for a flappy painted glass bumper. I like to keep the image of a big fat stock car, that's fast.
There is a fiberglass company in Ohio that makes these fiberglass bumpers and all their mopar parts in Race weight, Street weight, and Heavy duty. There is also a company in Mich. that has a really good chrome process for the bumpers. I have personally seen the process and approve.

There is a fiberglass company in Ohio that makes these fiberglass bumpers and all their mopar parts in Race weight, Street weight, and Heavy duty. There is also a company in Mich. that has a really good chrome process for the bumpers. I have personally seen the process and approve.
Can you tell us the name of the company that does the chrome process for fiberglass bumpers?, also how much does your glass 64' Polara fenders weigh?. The stock ones are pretty heavy.

Dan, sorry I have mine bolted on the car yes the fenders are different weight from stock. As for chrome on the front and rear bumpers I'm doing a vinyl wrap. The wrap guy says he can do them and have no seems in it. I didn't use glassman I used some else forget their name right now but if you want it will dig it up. The fenders are good fit my hood the same and scoop are all nice work.

Auto Transport Service
Back