• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Plymouth Fury Station Wagon

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

cool wagon project

Nice.

Yesterday's "SUV".

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. Good luck with your '64 Fury wagon project. Your engine stamps decode as: T = 1962. 41 = 413
Could be out of an Imperial or New Yorker.
I was bothered by the HP stamp on the block ID pad, as an Imperial or New Yorker would not have this in 1962. I now think this engine could have come out of a Chrysler 300H. Do the heads have adjustable rockers, signifying solid lifters? These engines came with inline 2 X 4 carbs at 380 h.p. for 1962.

I was bothered by the HP stamp on the block ID pad, as an Imperial or New Yorker would not have this in 1962. I now think this engine could have come out of a Chrysler 300H. Do the heads have adjustable rockers, signifying solid lifters? These engines came with inline 2 X 4 carbs at 380 h.p. for 1962.
No the rockers are not adjustable
Rockers.jpg

I thought that too! I wonder if somebody could have taken original adjustable rockers and swapped on standard rockers. This would not be good if original solid lifters remain.
Nice pretty and clean shafts and rocker arms. But the push rods are rusty???

I thought that too! I wonder if somebody could have taken original adjustable rockers and swapped on standard rockers. This would not be good if original solid lifters remain.
Notice, the heads are for 6 bolt valve covers. 62 heads would have been 4 bolt.

For the sake of the push rods and rocker assembly alone, I wouldn't even try turning that engine by hand until it's determined what type of lifters are in there. Especially if it's suspected they could be solid.

The heads have the early bolt on rocker stands. I thought 6-bolt heads that came out in 1964 all had cast-in rocker stands? It looks like a pretty uncommon bunch of parts.

Hmmm So where do you think I should go from here? I think I've found why the motor is just "setting " in there. The exhaust manifolds are hitting the shock tower on the passenger side and the the steering box on the drivers side. My plan is to lift the engine, remove the manifolds and see if I can get the engine to "Land" on the the engine perches. If I need Max Wedge exhaust manifolds they look pretty$$$$ Another thing that puzzles me is the engine is blue. And, it looks like it has been blue a long time. If it's from 1962 shouldn't it be orange? Again, thanks for all the input!!!

I forgot the valve cover have four bolts and they look much nicer/cleaner than the rest of the engine
Valve covers.jpg

Hmmm So where do you think I should go from here? I think I've found why the motor is just "setting " in there. The exhaust manifolds are hitting the shock tower on the passenger side and the the steering box on the drivers side. My plan is to lift the engine, remove the manifolds and see if I can get the engine to "Land" on the the engine perches. If I need Max Wedge exhaust manifolds they look pretty$$$$ Another thing that puzzles me is the engine is blue. And, it looks like it has been blue a long time. If it's from 1962 shouldn't it be orange? Again, thanks for all the input!!!
The Max Wedge engines ( code MP ) were orange. The regular 413's were turquoise. You could always get '62 - '65 B-body big block dual exhaust manifolds or later 440 HP manifolds. Way cheaper than Maxie exhaust manifolds

I forgot the valve cover have four bolts and they look much nicer/cleaner than the rest of the engineView attachment 1391002
I notice the gaskets are only 4 bolt, but the corners of the covers look like they extend past the covers to fit the 6 bolt heads. Are these corners punched for a stud, or are they plain. Could you post a picture of the top of the valve cover showing the corners?

So, I've had fairly productive day. I'm attaching several pics that I hope will help solve this mystery engine. The valve covers are four bolt with raised "Dimples" in the corners. I do see the extra holes in the heads for more bolts. The passenger side valve train looks as nice as the drivers side. It appears that someone may have cleaned up the valve covers (See scrape makers inside of valve cover) and painted them. The picture with the numbers/letters is on the front drivers side of the block. I was able to get my hoist hooked up and got the exhaust manifolds off. I think I'll only need one for the drivers side with a back outlet. The one that was on there had a center outlet. I took all the plugs out and they looked good, maybe a little rich. I would like to think that someone wouldn't go to all this trouble to put this engine in if it was weak and or bad. The one picture is of a cannister coming off the automatic transmission. I have no idea what that is. And lastly,what is that opening in the center of the intake? There's one on both sides.
Valley Opening.jpg
Transmission Part.jpg
Block Number.jpg
Valve covers.jpg
Passenger Rockers.jpg
Passenger Rockers.jpg
Passenger Valve Cover Bolts.jpg

This is the coldest Christmas we've had in 33 years. Got to -11 yesterday with a wind chill of -30. That's cold, even for us Hillbillys LOL!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back