• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Plymouth Fury Station Wagon

So, I've had fairly productive day. I'm attaching several pics that I hope will help solve this mystery engine. The valve covers are four bolt with raised "Dimples" in the corners. I do see the extra holes in the heads for more bolts. The passenger side valve train looks as nice as the drivers side. It appears that someone may have cleaned up the valve covers (See scrape makers inside of valve cover) and painted them. The picture with the numbers/letters is on the front drivers side of the block. I was able to get my hoist hooked up and got the exhaust manifolds off. I think I'll only need one for the drivers side with a back outlet. The one that was on there had a center outlet. I took all the plugs out and they looked good, maybe a little rich. I would like to think that someone wouldn't go to all this trouble to put this engine in if it was weak and or bad. The one picture is of a cannister coming off the automatic transmission. I have no idea what that is. And lastly,what is that opening in the center of the intake? There's one on both sides.View attachment 1391332View attachment 1391331View attachment 1391330View attachment 1391329View attachment 1391328View attachment 1391328View attachment 1391326
The "AA" denotes a high nickle content iron block. Max Wedge blocks were cast like this, but they would be stamped "MP" . The valve covers are weird in that they are only 4-bolt, but have extra embossments that could have been punched for 6 bolts. Heads have provisions for 6 bolts, but only have 4 ? The cannister on the side of your transmission is an inline fluid filter, that is now pretty well unattainable. Most guys eliminate them with newer lines or a spliced in line. This is a 1962 and 1963 thing. There is a regular filter on the valve body. That well on the intake manifold is for a thermostatic automatic choke, but it looks like part of it has been milled away. If you use an electric choke kit, you will not need it.

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and just purchased a "Patina" 1964 Plymouth Fury Station Wagon. I can remember my Dad and I driving off the show room floor in a 64 Dodge Polara. The only other Mopars I've been involved with was a one ton 1974 Dodge truck my Dad owned and I later purchased. My car is defiantly a "Project" but that's O.K. The guy I bought it from said he doesn't think that it has been messed with since the mid/late 70's. It appears someone was starting an install of what I was told is a 413. It has T 41 on top of the pad, HP in the center and 1-25 stamped at an angle in the corner. Any help in identifying this engine would be great!!!! I look forward to hearing from you guys.
Welcome from Indiana!

The "AA" denotes a high nickle content iron block. Max Wedge blocks were cast like this, but they would be stamped "MP" . The valve covers are weird in that they are only 4-bolt, but have extra embossments that could have been punched for 6 bolts. Heads have provisions for 6 bolts, but only have 4 ? The cannister on the side of your transmission is an inline fluid filter, that is now pretty well unattainable. Most guys eliminate them with newer lines or a spliced in line. This is a 1962 and 1963 thing. There is a regular filter on the valve body. That well on the intake manifold is for a thermostatic automatic choke, but it looks like part of it has been milled away. If you use an electric choke kit, you will not need it.
Thanks for the great information!!! Today I started messing with engine mounts and after some research determined that they won't fit my car. It looks like where this is a "Conversion" I'll need to buy some conversion brackets and new isolators. The thread where I saw that said the factory power steering from the B body won't work with this setup but it appears that with the right engine mount bracket everything will clear. I did a leak down test and wasn't to pleased with the results. I think I'll try to rig some engine "Mounts" so I can do a compression test. I did remove the distributor and gear and primed the engine. I got 30 p.s.i with a battery drill, which I didn't think was to bad. The two lobes of the cam that I could see looked good as well as a lifter. What carb would you suggest I try. Again, thanks for the help and Merry Christmas!!!!

There were two types of front engine cross members used in 1962, depending when the car was built. The early cross member used mounts that bolted flat to the K-frame, while the later cars used "V" mounts, as seen on '63 to '65 B-bodies. You have to determine what style your K-member is. If you have the later "V" mount, you might try Jim Kramer in Pennsylvania for the steel engine brackets for your big block. I think the rubber insulators may still be available through parts jobbers. These work for either big or small block. A friend is putting a 440 in his '64 Savoy and was able to get his insulators from the local Car Quest.
I would go with an Edelbrock carb around 600 cfm. Those old heads would have small valves and ports compared to later heads. A good newer head is the "452" with hardened exhaust seats. They have big valves and good porting. Since this is an open chambered head, it will drop compression from 10:1 down to 9:1, which could be a good thing with today's fuels. These are the heads I use on my 440's.

Last edited:
Welcome Plumber from Hanover PA.

Here's some casting numbers to help you see what you have there.
Moparts on the Web - Main Index

If your car still has the fender tag it should state which engine was original so you can determine if you have the right cross member for the V8. More than likely you do and you'll just have to get the right mounts.

You can post a picture of the fender tag and also the Vin tag mounted on the driver side door jam. The Vin tag will tell which plant the car was manufactured.

Good luck!

If your car still has the fender tag it should state which engine was original so you can determine if you have the right cross member for the V8. More than likely you do and you'll just have to get the right mounts.

You can post a picture of the fender tag and also the Vin tag mounted on the driver side door jam. The Vin tag will tell which plant the car was manufactured.

Good luck!
Thanks!!!!!

Good luck!
Thanks!! Here are the pictures you mentioned. The tag is hard to read but maybe helpful?????
Fender Tag.jpg
VIN Number.jpg

There were two types of front engine cross members used in 1962, depending when the car was built. The early cross member used mounts that bolted flat to the K-frame, while the later cars used "V" mounts, as seen on '63 to '65 B-bodies. You have to determine what style your K-member is. If you have the later "V" mount, you might try Jim Kramer in Pennsylvania for the steel engine brackets for your big block. I think the rubber insulators may still be available through parts jobbers. These work for either big or small block. A friend is putting a 440 in his '64 Savoy and was able to get his insulators from the local Car Quest.
I would go with an Edelbrock carb around 600 cfm. Those old heads would have small valves and ports compared to later heads. A good newer head is the "452" with hardened exhaust seats. They have big valves and good porting. Since this is an open chambered head, it will drop compression from 10:1 down to 9:1, which could be a good thing with today's fuels. These are the heads I use on my 440's.
Here is the passenger side and a picture I saw on another thread
Passenger Motor Mount.jpg
Passenger side motor mount.jpeg

Here is the passenger side and a picture I saw on another threadView attachment 1392155View attachment 1392156

That was one of my pics. Looks like the bracket on the passenger side is the one for the drivers side. Notice the two holes for the front bolts and the one hole for the rear bolt. The rear bolt hole should be at the top. You can more than likely read the part numbers on the rubber isolator. Compare these numbers.

Part #2228 goes on the drivers side.
Part #2227 goes on the passenger side.
20170302_161652-jpg-jpg.jpg

20170302_161710-jpg-jpg.jpg

I'll work on your numbers for the fender tag.

Wow!
All Trim is there!
Great find
Wagons are making a comeback
Welcome aboard and thanks for joining the forum!

Those look like poly mounts, as in 318 poly.
Are the 318 and bb mounts the same in 64?

I know I needed different mounts for my 62 swap from a 318 to 383, but 62 has a V8 k-frame and a 6 k-frame.

I know I needed different mounts for my 62 swap from a 318 to 383, but 62 has a V8 k-frame and a 6 k-frame.
Forgive my ignorance but I keep seeing that reference to Poly. What is that?

Thanks. So, the pictures of your mounts are actually stock mounts? Do you think my isolators are switched?

Forgive my ignorance but I keep seeing that reference to Poly. What is that?

Could be the 318 mounts. I'm not to literate on those as much as the Big Blocks. Wish I had the book on the St.Louis plant codes so we knew what engine was originally there.

BTW "Poly" is short for the 318 Polyspheric head engine. It's the early 318, wider than the newer LA block.

Engine Support Brackets 62-65B-440 Source

I have to watch what I recommend here as most of my parts/pictures are from the '62 year. Most are the same. This looks like the passenger side bracket that I had blasted. I don't have a pic of the other bracket for some reason. Notice the part number.
Screenshot_20221228-194005_Gallery.jpg

Poly brackets removed from my 62.
Top pieces are 62 specific, bottom are poly brackets, same as on my 64.

The hole on the bottom right is extended out a bit from being flush with the opposing edge, if you know what I mean.
Looks the same as what's in your car, but different from the bb mounts.

20200929_004432.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back