• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Plymouth Satellite 426-S a Spy car??

Like some others on here, I have forgotten more stuff about '60's Mopars than you will know. I lived it, in the fast lane.

Like some others on here, I have forgotten more stuff about '60's Mopars than you will know. I lived it, in the fast lane.
Gee if U Know so much seams you would Know a little about the MR Norm Ram Charged cars. They where called ram charger in 1966. The cars with the cross rams and solid lift cams & 13 to 1 compression.The Max Performance wedge of 1962 to 1964 was not lost tech in 1966 like the pyramids or something ,Pretty sure Mr Norm could build a few if that was his fancy! All them performance wedge cars with the cross rams Mr Norm built where done in Plum Crazy Paint !
i know i am not the only 1 to hear about them MR Norm cars or maybe this here ASME guy is on the wrong site !!!

Gee if U Know so much seams you would Know a little about the MR Norm Ram Charged cars. They where called ram charger in 1966. The cars with the cross rams and solid lift cams & 13 to 1 compression.The Max Performance wedge of 1962 to 1964 was not lost tech in 1966 like the pyramids or something ,Pretty sure Mr Norm could build a few if that was his fancy! All them performance wedge cars with the cross rams Mr Norm built where done in Plum Crazy Paint !
i know i am not the only 1 to hear about them MR Norm cars or maybe this here ASME guy is on the wrong site !!!
My first vehicle was 1952 dodge pick-up with the wrap around window! Have a few moons under my belt as well. Played at Malcom Durham house in Lanham Md when i was a kid. Malcoms son Raynard was my pal. My dad did the welding on his car and also worked on the guys roundy round cars at Beltsville Speedway with Reds and the boys. Was hoping to hear some good stories
about the shadow cars (as i call them) and their owners

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

That's the way "normal" men dressed in 1965.

Ole Norm took the 426-S wedge engines and turned em into stage 3 engines! Maybe even stronger with that mans reputation. Never say never with ole Mopars !!

Actually, there are quite a few things that can be said 100% NEVER with Mopars.

BTW, the 1952 Dodge/Fargo Pilot House trucks did NOT have a wrap-around rear window, they had a three-piece rear window - two corner windows and the standard small rear window, with the cab sheet metal between them.

1686852138857.png

Last edited:
Max wedge, Ram Charger, Super Stock, Commando, Super Command As Shakespeare once said A Mopar Big Block by any other name still Runs and Sounds SWEET !!!!!

IMG_0736.JPG

People have been erroneously throwing the term MAX WEDGE around for years and years. Nothing new here.
Even though the entire engine is completely different from a Walmart version 426 wedge. :lol:

Peter Falk could have used your Satellite for his TV show Columbo in 1973. It would have fit his character Lt. Columbo, Police Detective . . .

0000000 b Lt. Columbo - Peter Falk.jpg

Instead, they gave him a lousy 1959 Peugeot . . . :realcrazy:

0000000 b Columbo Peter Falk 2.jpg

I think this fella is a long time member having a little fun -

People have been erroneously throwing the term MAX WEDGE around for years and years. Nothing new here.
Even though the entire engine is completely different from a Walmart version 426 wedge. :lol:
So True. The Maximum Performance Wedge of 62 to 64 where game changers ! Very sad that Today u can buy a Tesla that does 9 seconds ! ugh

So True. The Maximum Performance Wedge of 62 to 64 where game changers ! Very sad that Today u can buy a Tesla that does 9 seconds ! ugh
Look on the bright side bud, Today u can buy a Dodge that does 8 seconds. It's not all gloom and doom.

tommy grove was melrose plymouths guy until ceceil yother took hold of the melrose cars , tommy moved to fords program , this is tommy at bonny saltflats in 62 , and when yother took over the racing program for melrose plymouth , my 63 sport fury golden commando car was raced along side the melrose cars , it was steve reynolds that was ceceil's tranny guy . the 63 sfgc car went record with a 8k rpm 383 single 4bbl carb in ihra , all metal car went 10.73 in the quarter .

DSC03979.JPG

DSC03980.JPG

Fury.png

oh ya max wedge engines didn't share any parts with the 426s engine , block , heads , crank , rods , pistons , cam , valve gear , dizzy , intake n carbs , ect ...... just bore n stroke where the same .

887891-1adf459f827d7d82148e3713ead280d4.jpg

I’m confused - are you all discussing factory delivered, special order cars (like the Chevrolet COPO cars). Or dealer modified new cars and cars built for the customer (like Chevy Motion Baldwin and Don Yenko)? I doubt Mr Norm had any problems finding used and NOS Max Wedge parts of all sorts back then and if a customer bought a car off his lot or brought their own car in for a custom built motor, I would guess he would put anything in it the customer had money to pay for.

But I would think if he had tried to build a series of modified cars with say a mostly max wedge type engine, there would be some documentation of advertising or first owner stories to document it. And by 66 most guys pouring big money into a Mopar build were probably focusing on the Hemi engine. Trying to market a series of dealer custom-built cars with last years race engine when the Hemi was captivating everyone’s interest, wouldn’t seem to be a brilliant plan for a savvy guy like Mr. Norm. If a customer walks through the door and says hey, I’m a max wedge guy through and through and I want one in a 66 and I’m willing to pay what ever it takes for you to do it - well, he probably would do so.

It seems like the battle has been joined - I’m just not clear about what it’s over.

A 426 Street Wedge block would have to have the tops of all the bores machined for exhaust valve clearance to mount Max Wedge heads with larger valves.

Auto Transport Service
Back