• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Plymouth Satellite 426-S a Spy car??

tommy grove was melrose plymouths guy until ceceil yother took hold of the melrose cars , tommy moved to fords program , this is tommy at bonny saltflats in 62 , and when yother took over the racing program for melrose plymouth , my 63 sport fury golden commando car was raced along side the melrose cars , it was steve reynolds that was ceceil's tranny guy . the 63 sfgc car went record with a 8k rpm 383 single 4bbl carb in ihra , all metal car went 10.73 in the quarter .

View attachment 1480094

View attachment 1480095

View attachment 1480098
I’m confused - are you all discussing factory delivered, special order cars (like the Chevrolet COPO cars). Or dealer modified new cars and cars built for the customer (like Chevy Motion Baldwin and Don Yenko)? I doubt Mr Norm had any problems finding used and NOS Max Wedge parts of all sorts back then and if a customer bought a car off his lot or brought their own car in for a custom built motor, I would guess he would put anything in it the customer had money to pay for.

But I would think if he had tried to build a series of modified cars with say a mostly max wedge type engine, there would be some documentation of advertising or first owner stories to document it. And by 66 most guys pouring big money into a Mopar build were probably focusing on the Hemi engine. Trying to market a series of dealer custom-built cars with last years race engine when the Hemi was captivating everyone’s interest, wouldn’t seem to be a brilliant plan for a savvy guy like Mr. Norm. If a customer walks through the door and says hey, I’m a max wedge guy through and through and I want one in a 66 and I’m willing to pay what ever it takes for you to do it - well, he probably would do so.

It seems like the battle has been joined - I’m just not clear about what it’s over.
I’m confused - are you all discussing factory delivered, special order cars (like the Chevrolet COPO cars). Or dealer modified new cars and cars built for the customer (like Chevy Motion Baldwin and Don Yenko)? I doubt Mr Norm had any problems finding used and NOS Max Wedge parts of all sorts back then and if a customer bought a car off his lot or brought their own car in for a custom built motor, I would guess he would put anything in it the customer had money to pay for.

But I would think if he had tried to build a series of modified cars with say a mostly max wedge type engine, there would be some documentation of advertising or first owner stories to document it. And by 66 most guys pouring big money into a Mopar build were probably focusing on the Hemi engine. Trying to market a series of dealer custom-built cars with last years race engine when the Hemi was captivating everyone’s interest, wouldn’t seem to be a brilliant plan for a savvy guy like Mr. Norm. If a customer walks through the door and says hey, I’m a max wedge guy through and through and I want one in a 66 and I’m willing to pay what ever it takes for you to do it - well, he probably would do so.

It seems like the battle has been joined - I’m just not clear about what it’s over.
tommy grove was melrose plymouths guy until ceceil yother took hold of the melrose cars , tommy moved to fords program , this is tommy at bonny saltflats in 62 , and when yother took over the racing program for melrose plymouth , my 63 sport fury golden commando car was raced along side the melrose cars , it was steve reynolds that was ceceil's tranny guy . the 63 sfgc car went record with a 8k rpm 383 single 4bbl carb in ihra , all metal car went 10.73 in the quarter .

View attachment 1480094

View attachment 1480095

View attachment 1480098

I said 426 was max cubic inch wedge size in 1965 and someone said Max wedge was 62-64 and here we go! 7 liter was the Nascar cut off line !in 1966 mopar wedge went to 7.2 or 440 cubes was now Max wedge in terms of Cubic inches!! Not to confuse that with the 1962 -64 Maximum Performance Wedge engine. Maybe i should get on another a site and talk fat fender,flat heads. & fluid drive with the boys ! loved my 48 fat fender with the Gull wing hood !

Some very smart guys on this site! That guy that forgot more then i know is Awesome!
Not only does he Know what he knows, He Knows what others know as well !! Next level right there!!

Last edited:
max.JPG
:lol:

This is a famous model kit of a Government VIP type getting ready to jump in and shred
No "VIP Type" that I've ever met would park his car that far from the building. It would be more believable if he parked right next to the front door.
And who leaves all the windows down on such a blustery day??

I said 426 was max cubic inch wedge size in 1965 and someone said Max wedge was 62-64 and here we go! 7 liter was the Nascar cut off line !in 1966 mopar wedge went to 7.2 or 440 cubes was now Max wedge in terms of Cubic inches!! Not to confuse that with the 1962 -64 Maximum Performance Wedge engine. Maybe i should get on another a site and talk fat fender,flat heads. & fluid drive with the boys ! loved my 48 fat fender with the Gull wing hood !

Some very smart guys on this site! That guy that forgot more then i know is Awesome!
Not only does he Know what he knows, He Knows what others know as well !! Next level right there!!
The narcisisstic victim and the condecending asshole card in two consecutive posts. Is that a new record here?

The narcisisstic victim and the condecending asshole card in two consecutive posts. Is that a new record here?
He’s trying so hard to be right about something that he can’t be right about. There was no Max Wedge available after 1964, and no amount of old magazine articles is going to change that. Trying to show that Norm was making them with over the counter parts with articles written by journalists is not going to make it so. I’m sure he wishes beyond all hope that his car is secretly more than it is, instead of enjoying it for what it really is, a cool car with a good backstory and heritage. It’s not a spy car, Chrysler didn’t pass along the HP cars to govt employees, if anything, the race teams of the day got all the big stuff, and the rest were available to purchase by anybody that knew how to check the boxes.

That car has a max wedge set up. That would have been race only 1965
No, that would be home-brewed. From what I read, that guy, as others have stated, could'nt get a Max Wedge by 1965, since they were all built and done by early '64, so he built what he desired. Came out nice too.....

BTW, what Mr. Norm did or built has very little relevance to any Chrysler Corps official offerings. He too could build anything he liked.....and sell it with no warrantee.

@dadsbee :poke:

I saw this in the Welcome Wagon earlier

It's still a story, interesting story of an individual's cars tale

cool scale model kit

yes,
Chrysler Corp supplied a lot of govt. federal agencies with cars/trucks etc.,
of all kinds, some spec cars to specific agencies too

Have any real paperwork, proof or sales documents or org. reg,
to back up 'the story' etc. ?

Back then order it ala carte', with a 426 street wedge or Max Wedge

this is a member here's car,
65 Satellite Max Wedge, don't think he is a Scientist or CIA, G-man
View attachment 1479478
B.S. , I remember a 63 413 ,and 63 426 wedge in Okmulgee, Okla. , just bought by 2 common ole boys , the 426 was abeast !!

UTG just did a (Youtube) on Mr Norm 1966 plum crazy cars.
some guy posted he was a porter at that Grand Spalding dealer and said 50 cars built there.
UTG posted ad from Mr Norm dealership ! Guess they both wrong as well LMAO

some guy posted he was a porter at that Grand Spalding dealer and said 50 cars built there.
Don't know if you saw this thread about 426W and Mr. Norms.
426 Wedge in a 66 Coronet?

I was hoping to show him the debate about the about how special order cars can start arguments. If he reads the thread A to the discovery of the Mr. Norm ads how research can solve the debate not assumptions. How he gets a plastic model with spies and makes a huge leap to say these cars were offered to special people with zero facts. The guys with the 66 Coronet had one verified by Galen and the process to show others that they were special order.

What the heck is a 66 Coronet “plum crazy” car? If it is a 65, the 426 wedge is not a special order engine, it was available across the board. If it is a 66, the 426W was not available, except maybe by special order, and the VIN would have an “M” as the 5th digit.

Auto Transport Service
Back