• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 B body trunk paint color, ??

To muddy the waters a bit more here, I worked at dealerships in the 70s, and a lot of that time was in used cars, and the detail guys had a certain routine they would follow that included spraying clearcoat on everything under the hood after pressure washing there. Then, in the trunk, they would use a speckle spray paint in the trunks to make the trunks look 'new'. Just food for thought.

I don't agree with that. I detailed for several dealerships in the '70s, as well; and painting a trunk was never a thing with the dealers I worked with. The clearcoat was a later thing, too. We used an Armor-All-like product along with a product that resembled brake fluid (but wasn't) to add the shine under the hood. The only paint we used was black on the fenderwells, assuming they were not body-color.

My Coronet is a two-owner car, and was a factory show car, used at a display at Stapleton Int'l Airport in Denver from Sept - Dec 1965, on a turnstile. It's never been a used car on a lot. So the "detail guys" back then were not about to spray gray in the trunk, IMO. It's got a 100% factory appearance to it, plus it's a early build car with a specific initial purpose.

Last edited:
My 66 Dart. No splatter paint here. Original mat and lower quarter and trunk drop replacement.

119.jpg

20170418_082735.jpg

I don't agree with that. I detailed for several dealerships in the '70s, as well; and painting a trunk was never a thing with the dealers I worked with. The clearcoat was a later thing, too. We used an Armor-All-like product along with a product that resembled brake fluid (but wasn't) to add the shine under the hood. The only paint we used was black on the fenderwells, assuming they were not body-color.

My Coronet is a two-owner car, and was a factory show car, used at a display at Stapleton Int'l Airport in Denver from Sept - Dec 1965, on a turnstile. It's never been a used car on a lot. So the "detail guys" back then were not about to spray gray in the trunk, IMO. It's got a 100% factory appearance to it, plus it's a early build car with a specific initial purpose.
You summed it up, your experience differed from mine. I worked dealers from 76 to 80 in the Cincinnati,OH area, watching the guys spray clear coat from spray cans like it was free and splatter painting rusty, nasty trunk floors. Don't make it personal, I wasn't stating an opinion for you to disagree with, I was stating facts of my experience.

Never said you lied or otherwise disparaged your post. Read what I posted carefully. I simply said "I don't agree with that" and said why. Not at all personal. It's called a "right to have a differing opinion"...you know, agree to disagree and all that.

Auto Transport Service
Back