• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Belvedere 1 Hemi, ***NOT MINE**

The reason I asked, was that I was asked to authenticate a 1966 Belvedere II 2-door hardtop, equipped with a Hemi, 4-speed, up here in Ontario, a few years ago. The car was an early build HP2, that had originally been painted Mauve Metallic. The car was now sporting a "Resale Red" paint job, and had some other non-original modifications that were easily reversible. The strangest thing, was that the bright side trim on this car was all chromed die cast pieces, where I was expecting aluminium or stainless! The patina of these pieces matched that of the HP2 signs, so I believe they were original to the car. I only authenticated that the car was actually a real Hemi car, but did not appraise it for value, as that is not my expertise.

GEDC0596.JPG

GEDC0585.JPG

GEDC0588.JPG

Last edited:
The reason I asked, was that I was asked to authenticate a 1966 Belvedere II 2-door hardtop, equipped with a Hemi, 4-speed, up here in Ontario, a few years ago. The car was an early build HP2, that had originally been painted Mauve Metallic. The car was now sporting a "Resale Red" paint job, and had some other non-original modifications that were easily reversible. The strangest thing, was that the bright side trim on this car was all chromed die cast pieces, where I was expecting aluminium or stainless! The patina of these pieces matched that of the HP2 signs, so I believe they were original to the car. I only authenticated that the car was actually a real Hemi car, but did not appraise it for value, as that is not my expertise.
I talked with a Gent (4 hours on phone) who worked on the assembly line (trim) when the Hemi cars were made, he claimed they were not started till late Oct-Nov because of assembly problems that had to be fixed first. HP2 emblems we’re first then after Jan the Hemi emblem was on front fender, like my Jan 21st build date (I have a B II)

View attachment 1668998

View attachment 1668999

View attachment 1669000

You sure that was chromed solid die cast “pot metal”?

I’ve seen many people chrome stamped aluminum trim. Especially years back it was easier to find a place to chrome the trim than have it buffed and correctly brite-dip anodized. Also, just the lack of knowledge by restorers.

I talked with a Gent (4 hours on phone) who worked on the assembly line (trim) when the Hemi cars were made, he claimed they were not started till late Oct-Nov because of assembly problems that had to be fixed first. HP2 emblems we’re first then after Jan the Hemi emblem was on front fender, like my Jan 21st build date (I have a B II)
I found my notes on this car. Build date was C14 = December 14, 1965. Engine block casting date was August 16, 1965. Paint was 661. VIN started RH23H61. Father/son team bought it to flip. Father would have liked to keep it, but son wanted $$$ out of it. Odometer only showed 11,000 miles. They said it had been raced in NY state; still had headers on it. I know it got sold, but do not know where it went.

You sure that was chromed solid die cast “pot metal”?

I’ve seen many people chrome stamped aluminum trim. Especially years back it was easier to find a place to chrome the trim than have it buffed and correctly brite-dip anodized. Also, just the lack of knowledge by restorers.
Absolutely! It was getting that light speckling/pitting that only die cast gets, just like the HP2 signs on the car. The ends of the pieces at the door openings did not have that "folded over" look like aluminum pieces would have. These were solid die castings. I never expected it on this car.

GEDC0596.JPG

Being these Hemi cars were late introduction, originally installed prototype trim parts are very doubtful. The Bel II trim was in production since start of model year.

Maybe they came from some other car?

Last edited:
Absolutely! It was getting that light speckling/pitting that only die cast gets, just like the HP2 signs on the car. The ends of the pieces at the door openings did not have that "folded over" look like aluminum pieces would have. These were solid die castings. I never expected it on this car.

View attachment 1669009

I've seen that speckling on aftermarket Chromed Aluminum trim.

Recently on a 64 Sport Fury 426 Wedge 4spd car a buddy semi-restored recently at his work. The previously chromed over aluminum grilles and headlight bezels had spots and pitting. Like the chrome didn't adhere right to the copper understrike. Like a poor quality re-chromed bumper. I think the copper was pitting/oxidizing and messing up the chrome.

Last edited:

View attachment 1669009
I checked mine (Jan build) original and nos, both stamped aluminum. I guess there was a lot of changes after Dec
Many things were going on then, these are the original tail lights and housings on mine, Belvedere I type on my II, so I sure anything could have happened in those early cars.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back