• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet 440 field find

I think your fabrication is coming along great, im no pro with welding by any means myself and i use this small outfit (except face shield although is handy) and like you im very happy with it.. great work on the rocker and P-side quarter area!

lcn-k2185-1_w_zps9e6cc16a.jpg

I got a little more done today. I just finished patching up the inner wheel house on the passenger side. It has a coat of paint drying on it now. I am having a beer while I wait and if it doesn't turn into more than a couple I might go back and cut and fit the Sherman quarter patch panel. :icon_mrgreen:

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

Well I got the courage up and cut the patch panel. It does take a bit because once its done there's no going back. I measured everything 147 times or so and then drew some lines. I made my first marks by hanging it on the car and reaching from the inside to make my corners. I made the original cut 3/4" larger than measured and hung it on the outside. This was so I could confirm all my marks were lining up and it was square. When I was happy it was right, I trimmed it down and crimped the horizontal edges. I will say that when using an overlap it is key to clean all the factory sound deaden-er from inside so your lap fits nice. For this I use a small 90deg pick and scrape all the edges clean. The vertical edges will be butt welded and they have a .023 gap more or less. Now just 2-3000 spot welds and it will be permanent!

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

Very nice work gdrill, Looks like you've done this before haha. Definitely going to be a real head turner.:sSig_goodjob:

My passenger rocker had a major crease in it and just behind the door was patched up from a mishap as well. Out with the old, in with the new. The three holes above I will fill with nail heads like the molding holes.

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

For not doing it before .............hell even if you have done it before it looks great. Are you going to keep welding until the weld is solid? I'm always worried about moisture coming threw and ruining the body work so I always turn off the lights and put a light on the inside to show where I may have missed and still seal the inside with seam sealer just for insurance. Your work is looking top notch "keep it up"

Thank you very much guys. Man is spot welding time consuming. Weld, blow cool, weld, blow cool, weld, blow cool........
You bet, I am making sure all the line is sealed. It is kind of deceiving because of my overlap area. It doesn't look complete, but it's just that some of my welds are a little long! I feel the same as you about moisture maybe getting in behind. I am going to seam seal and spray sound deaden-er on the inside. At least as good as I can get at it. Now the only parts I haven't tackled are where I have to lay down and weld up. That should be a learning curve of it's own!
Any of you who have done this kind of reclamation before can understand how happy I am. It sure is a good feeling to see the majority of the rust eliminated. Then it will be on to "Learn to use putty 101"!

wow some one has been very busy ,looking real good thanks for the up dates :headbang:

I like the nail idea "something to hold on too as well".

Auto Transport Service
Back