• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet drivers legroom

1966Canuck

Local time
12:55 PM
Reaction score
hello all;
I have a 66 coronet 440 ragtop..... bench seat.
I am tall guy 6 ft 2 ish and I wish my seat went back a few more inches.Is this doable ?
Do buckets offer more legroom?
not sure if because its a ragger with a smaller back seat that the front seat is installed further forward ?

Tall guy problems ? lol

any input would be helpful
cheers

Look at the seat mounting from underneath. You should be able to remove the seat and re-drill 4 holes. Even 1 inch makes a big difference.

You can't just drill new holes in the floor pan. The seat holes actually pass through a reinforcement bracket that is welded to the body side rails. I am a tall guy too, and was feeling cramped in my '64 Polara. I found a set of seat extenders at Jegs that bolt between the seat and the adjuster mechanism that moves the seat back about 2" . These are universal and can be used on many different cars.

thanks Ontario Dave I am also an Ontario Dave

Is Jegs an auto parts supplier ?

hello all;
I have a 66 coronet 440 ragtop..... bench seat.
I am tall guy 6 ft 2 ish and I wish my seat went back a few more inches.Is this doable ?
Do buckets offer more legroom?
not sure if because its a ragger with a smaller back seat that the front seat is installed further forward ?

Tall guy problems ? lol

any input would be helpful
cheers
Check if your seat frames are like the bucket seats and have multiple hole positions...
20230424_150042.jpg

I found the seat extenders at Year One in Georgia. They have a web site. Click on B-body, then on Interior. They will be in Seat Frame section. Part # is SB 246 $32.93

You can't just drill new holes in the floor pan. The seat holes actually pass through a reinforcement bracket that is welded to the body side rails. I am a tall guy too, and was feeling cramped in my '64 Polara. I found a set of seat extenders at Jegs that bolt between the seat and the adjuster mechanism that moves the seat back about 2" . These are universal and can be used on many different cars.
Depending on the reinforcement brackets width there is room to go back and re-drill. One inch is doable on just about any car I have done.

Auto Transport Service
Back